Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 6:59 PM
Default Creating default CASP overrides? Possible?
I noticed in my game the other day that Sims have started to generate with the stupid clown hat for party wear outfits. As a result I attempted to edit the CASP part for the clown hats just to test something out.

I cloned the offending hats with S4Studio and flagged them as defaults. I then took the resulting files into s4pe where I edited the flags to not be available to randoms and I also deleted the image resources as it was only the CASP data I wanted altered. While the result did prevent townies from wearing the hats (I threw a costume party and any Sims dressed as a clown were missing the hat) it also did this:

The game now throws a hissy fit that the textures are missing. So, would this be a result of the method I used or do CASP replacements just not work without their associated textures as well?
The next step I thought I would try would be to hunt down the CASP part in the game files (if I can find them) and extract and edit from there instead and see if that works or not.
Screenshots

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Advertisement
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#2 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 7:16 PM Last edited by Snaitf : 23rd Sep 2014 at 8:02 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
I noticed in my game the other day that Sims have started to generate with the stupid clown hat for party wear outfits. As a result I attempted to edit the CASP part for the clown hats just to test something out.

I cloned the offending hats with S4Studio and flagged them as defaults. I then took the resulting files into s4pe where I edited the flags to not be available to randoms and I also deleted the image resources as it was only the CASP data I wanted altered. While the result did prevent townies from wearing the hats (I threw a costume party and any Sims dressed as a clown were missing the hat) it also did this:

The game now throws a hissy fit that the textures are missing. So, would this be a result of the method I used or do CASP replacements just not work without their associated textures as well?
The next step I thought I would try would be to hunt down the CASP part in the game files (if I can find them) and extract and edit from there instead and see if that works or not.

Use ColorMagic and check the box that says default override on the item selection page. That should give you the CASP files you are looking for.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 9:46 PM
Just tried with ColorMagic and got the same result. Tried S4S again and didn't get the texture issue but I got a duplicate entry instead.

#4 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 10:38 PM
Oof, Ok, I see what's going on. Even when making a default override from either of those tools, it may give you a CASP with the same instance, but it points to the new textures it copies from the originals, so if you delete those out of your .package, it doesn't know where to find the images. What you can do, then, is either leave the images in your override .package file, or export the original unaltered CASP files from fullbuild0. To get the instance #'s, just look inside the default override .package you already have and they should be the same. I would have just done it and posted it here, but since these are from the limited edition, I can't make them available to everyone...
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#5 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 1:43 PM
You can also try CAS Tools. For a default replacement it copies all the original files with no changes to the links or TGIs.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
#6 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 3:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
You can also try CAS Tools. For a default replacement it copies all the original files with no changes to the links or TGIs.

Good to know, thanks...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 10:50 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I did wonder if the tools I was using were altering which images the CASPs pointed to.
I've just given it a go with CAS Tools and I think it's working now. There have been no weird texture issues or catalogue duplications.
The hard part now is testing to see if Sims stop generating with the hats as that's purely down to chance if the game tries to choose it or not.