Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 3:19 AM
Default Custom Floor and Wall Textures
I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I have not found a section specifically for Walls and Floors for Sims 3. This might be a stupid question and I might have my pasta eaten, but I have a question about specifically making a texture for a floor. I've seen joninmobile's uploads and I see that he has multiple parts on his floors that are able to be recolored. I was curious as to how this was possible and by what method this was possible. Were the floors made with Red-Green-Blue layers like a pattern would be (which I know how to make), or Red-Yellow-Magenta like CAS items? I ask if it's CAS because the clothes have channels that patterns can be placed on, and that is what I want to accomplish. I want to be able to make a specific floor that I can place multiple patterns on.

I know so far my posts have been questions, but I want to be sure of what I'm doing before I attempt to upload anything on this site. I'm still quite a beginner. I'm also sorry if this topic has already been discussed. I looked around all day trying to find the answer to my question.

Thanks in advance for the help. <3
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 3:52 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 25th Jan 2010 at 1:42 PM.
I am not sure about the Magenta layer and if any type of stencils are doable. Objects just have the stencil part on the dds file. But they do have channels, I suppose how many will be dependent on which floor is cloned.

I've not looked in depth at floors, but there is a tile one that has fruit stencils. You could take a look at that one to see how it's done.

Read through the Pattern Tutorials to see how patterns are made.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 5:37 AM Last edited by Amystle : 25th Jan 2010 at 4:11 PM.
Thanks, HugeLunatic.

I couldn't really find the fruit pattern, but I looked at different types of floors and I saw that the recurring colors were in the Red-Yellow-Magenta fashion, which means it's more similar to how CAS works, using Channels. I'll go through some CAS tutorials and attempt to make a custom floor using similar techniques. I'll post my results to let you know if I succeeded or failed. xD If anyone has any more advice or anything, please post here! I check back every now and then for replies.

EDIT: I took a closer look some floor files again. I also overread some things in your post, HL, sorry about that. D: I think I'm really starting to get the concept now, but it'll probably take some time for me to apply it.