Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 1:20 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Random Crashing
I just installed TS2 from the discs to my new Win10 computer. Now the game is randomly crashing with and without error messages. I'm not doing anything in particular when the game crashes. It's totally random. The log files say that I have all my available memory free and list KERNELBASE.dll and the game executable as the problem, depending on which log file I look at. One log is blank. I don't have any viruses and I'm using the same CC I've used for years with no problems. I cleared the cache files and rebooted my computer. I've compared my log files to others and found no similarities and ended up deleting my logs in frustration. Not smart, I know. The game crashed when picking out clothing, selecting a different Sim, and moving the camera.

All's fair in love, war, and video games! ~LyokoGirl5000
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 4:39 AM
Do you have the 4GBt patch on and memory allocation? See the sticky thread. Also the graphic rules done to be sure it's using your graphics card?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 5:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Do you have the 4GBt patch on and memory allocation? See the sticky thread. Also the graphic rules done to be sure it's using your graphics card?

I don't have the 4GB patch. Sims 2 always worked fine on my old computer without it. And I have the Nvidia Texture fix for my Graphics Rule Maker settings because I have a very new card not in the database and Sims 2 hates new Nvidia cards. My old computer had 16GB of RAM and a 64-bit OS, same as my new one, and I never had an issue with it so I never used the 4GB patch. I don't think it's a memory issue because the readable crash reports said the memory was available and the only error message I got was that the application had crashed and would be terminated.

Lab Assistant
#4 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 6:27 AM
KERNELBASE.dll is a error that comes up that usually has to do with the windows registry. It can come up running any application. I would suggest maybe using CC cleaner to clean up your registry first. It could be it is to full of obsolete files. ** Note that when you run CC cleaner, look at the list of things it has found. If anything says Sims 2, uncheck it, so it doesn't clear it. I know that is a issue for downloads of the game, it deletes files the game needs to run, but not sure about disks. Better to be safe then sorry.

Also you can run a scan on your pc with the system file checker to see if you have any corrupt files in the registry.

1. Press Windows key + X, type in Command prompt in the search function to bring up elevated Command prompt.
2. In Command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.
3. Restart the computer.

Also just make sure your Windows is up to date with updates.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 9:54 PM Last edited by LyokoGirl5000 : 10th Jul 2018 at 12:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jules1111
KERNELBASE.dll is a error that comes up that usually has to do with the windows registry. It can come up running any application. I would suggest maybe using CC cleaner to clean up your registry first. It could be it is to full of obsolete files. ** Note that when you run CC cleaner, look at the list of things it has found. If anything says Sims 2, uncheck it, so it doesn't clear it. I know that is a issue for downloads of the game, it deletes files the game needs to run, but not sure about disks. Better to be safe then sorry.

Also you can run a scan on your pc with the system file checker to see if you have any corrupt files in the registry.

1. Press Windows key + X, type in Command prompt in the search function to bring up elevated Command prompt.
2. In Command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.
3. Restart the computer.

Also just make sure your Windows is up to date with updates.

Windows didn't find any corrupt files with sfc /scannow. Also ran CCleaner and removed a bunch of unneeded registry entries. I haven't had a chance to play yet, so I don't know if the crashing stopped or not.

Edit: Haven't experienced any crashes for a while now. I guess it's fixed?

Edit 2: And right as In posted that, it crashed again. KERNELBASE.dll caused the crash again. I will try the 4GB patch.

Edit 3: Patch Excerpt

Exception module: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll.
Exception address: 0x76d9db92. Section:Offset: 0x01:0x0010cb92.

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 3:48 AM
Sorry that didn't work. I had the same error with a different game (not sims) , and using CC cleaner fixed the issue. I have not used disks on Windows 10, I have the Ultimate Collection on it, so I don't think I will be of much help if people needed to do something special to get it to run. I wonder if it has to do with Securom? I know Windows 10 and Securom do not play well together. It would be helpful to know if anyone has disks running on 10 to know if that was a issue or not here. Everyone I know using disks is not on 10. If you wanted to try there are instructions on Leefish to remove Securom, you will need to follow all 3 steps, of course I am not sure that is even part of the problem..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 5:37 AM
Have you tried repairing your game in Origin?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 1:27 PM Last edited by LyokoGirl5000 : 10th Jul 2018 at 2:13 PM.
Looks like the 4GB patch fixed it. Thanks, everyone!

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LyokoGirl5000
Looks like the 4GB patch fixed it. Thanks, everyone!

Yay! Glad you have it working. Happy Simming!