Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 4:42 AM
Default Do you guys speak another language?
I'm assuming everyone here speaks English (duh ), but I'm aware that our world is so diverse and globalized-- as is this site. So, I've been wondering if any of you speak another language.

I interpret languages as a gateway to a whole new world of culture, tradition, etc., and I've been fascinated by them for a long time.

Therefore, I'd like to pose a question to all of you: do you speak another language besides English? If so, can you tell us a bit about it?

Merci beaucoup!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 5:05 AM
Watashi wa chugokujin, watashi no kazoku no namae wa Ryu... Wo hui jiao ee tian-tian hua yi. Saya tinggal di Malaysia, and I can speak Malay almost as English.

That was Japanese, Mandarin pinyin, and Malay in order. How do I know Japanese? Took a semester of an intro course at university.

Translation: I'm Chinese, my family name is "dragon"... I can speak a bit of Mandarin. I live in Malaysia, ...

Avatar model: Shi Gaik Lan / Atroxia "Jade Orchid" Lion (Source: Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires).
The Four Stars (Table of Content)
Mekageddon, the Interactive Story. (Remake Discussion) (Dev Tumblr)
Forum Resident
#3 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 6:18 AM
I'm fluent in English and Romanian. I took French for 7 years, Japanese for about... 3? 4 years maybe? Spanish for one year, and Latin as well for one year.

"God created dinosaurs. God destroyed dinosaurs. God created Man. Man destroyed God. Man created dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs eat man...Woman inherits the earth."

- Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park

My Simblr | Hadi Family Tree
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 7:41 AM Last edited by Flauschschlange : 25th Feb 2016 at 6:09 PM.
Well, I'm fluent in German In school I learned French for eight years. But since I don't have so many opportunities to speak French, I forgot most of the vocab. Though I really am surprised how much I remember as soon as I am exposed to French speaking.
In school I also was taught one years of Russian and Spanish each, but I cannot speak eather language. I'm sure I'd get along fine in Spain with what I remember (asking directions, going shopping) but there isn't any chance I could do that in Russia. Though I'd always find my way to the airport because I can still read most of the letters.
I also know enough Italian to get along in Italy (shopping, directions, edit: I just remembered: I know enough Italian to play Risk (the board game) ).
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 9:43 AM
Instructor
#6 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 10:57 AM
Danish, since it's my first language. Norwegian and Swedish is very similar, so I can't speak it at all, but I understand a bit of it. I did take German in school for 3 years, but that's almost 4 years ago. So I understand it sort of, (also because it's not too far from Danish), but I can't hold a conversation in German. Italian I took for 2 years, but that's not as long ago (and I also enjoyed it a great deal more than German).
Funny thing is that at my work, a lot of Germans come by and they just start speaking German to me and my brain just panics and goes "shit! They speak another language than Danish or English! Quick, say something in a different language!" and I just stand there like "... Si." Apparently, Italian is a great deal closer to me as a third language than German is.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 12:59 PM
If a cop pulls you over - فقط يتحدثون العربية ل له و السماح لك بالرحيل

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 3:57 PM
¡Claro que sí! Estudiaba el español todos los años cuando yo era estudiante en la escuela primaria, y también a la Universidad. Entonces, mi inglés todavía está mejor, pero puedo hablar de casi cualquier cosa en el español también. (¡Y me encanta cuando puedo usarlo! )

(Except posts here are supposed to be in English, aren't they? )

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#9 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 4:56 PM
My first language is German. But I can speak French and Spanish, too. And also a little bit Japanese.
I often think about learning more languages, but i have too little time to learn. ^^'
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 5:24 PM
3 years of french, 2 years of japanese, picked up bits of Korean, Spanish and Swedish from friends.

I've learned french for the longest, but I don't think I can say anything other than very simple sentences and random words like "oeuf" (egg), "pommes de terre" (potato), colours, animals and some places. My japanese is almost equally as terrible, but I know it good enough to be able to switch tabs while watching anime and still sorta kinda know what's going on... which is the only reason I learned it.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#11 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 5:53 PM
Beyond English, I am currently fluent in Italian, German, Japanese, various dialects of Spanish and Portuguese, Mandarin and both commonly spoken French dialects. Getting the hang of Korean.

Still, this urge to learn language is spurred by my want to connect with Earth's people and a weird ”sign from God" dream I had at the end of the 13th B'ak'tun' to build my skills as a human.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 5:54 PM
I used to be able to speak and read good French (in the years when I was reading academic papers) but I doubt I'd be much good now. I can still do basic stuff but nothing that sophisticated. You need to practice. I do rudimentary German and Italian too. I had Italian classes when I was singing. My husband speaks good German - much much better than me.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
dodgy builder
#13 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 6:21 PM
Jeg er norsk og vi har et eget språk veldig nært svensk og dansk. Islands har de samme historiske røttene, men er mindre påvirket av naboer.

I'm Norwegian and speak our language. It's very close to Swedish and Danish as mentioned before. Icelandic has the same historic roots, but is more isolated and thus has kept a more ancient version of the Scandinavian language.

English has many words from our language since the viking age. Much more than I though, but the it goes the other way as well.

I had French in school, but I should have had Italian if possible, or perhaps even Spanish.
Theorist
#14 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 6:54 PM
Heghlu'DI' mobbe'lu'chugh QaQpu' Hegh wanI'
Test Subject
#15 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 7:27 PM
not really! i did french and german at gcse but out of the two i can kind of understand somebody speaking the german language, but it's as if i've forgotten all my french. i can't really speak either of them properly, only random words and hodgepodged sentences.
Scholar
#16 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 9:30 PM
I'm only fluent in English, but can get by in Dutch and French. I had Arabic lessons for a few years, mostly because I could. Though that didn't work out. So beginner Arabic it is along with beginner German (from school). Spanish didn't work out either. But I can guess things like with Italian and Romanian. I have a Romanian friend, somehow I've always just "understood" her and her family
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 10:38 PM
I know a little Spanish. (I can sort of get by in Chile, but I totally cannot make out the Spanish from around the Caribbean.)
I had two years of high school French and retained some of it.
Mais je ne suis pas française, je suis simme.

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Simlish!

Ah! Yablarko! I've been meaning to ask you -- proboo la chobee? Abba le snee. Duvarra?
#18 Old 26th Feb 2016 at 3:21 AM
I only know a little bit of German and a word or two of Polish. Please don't ask me to say anything in either of them - I'll screw up horribly.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Field Researcher
#19 Old 17th Mar 2016 at 1:41 AM
Spanish (my native) English and basic European Portuguese. Learnt English whilst in school back in Spain, I live in the UK now and visit home every couple of months. I went back at Christmas, and my mother was saying how I have a Northern English accent (she has visited me often in England, too)

So basically, i'm a Spanish Geordie.
Theorist
#20 Old 17th Mar 2016 at 4:08 PM
I only know 2 semesters worth of high school Spanish.

¡Cuidado piso mojado!

Wish I could speak Mandarin Chinese, the language of my ancestors. I have aunts, uncles, and first cousins in Taiwan that I can't communicate with. It's pretty sad, but I'm too lazy to learn.

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
#21 Old 17th Mar 2016 at 8:37 PM
That's the problem, I'm too lazy to really improve my Dutch and French. With hard work I could totally be a native, so far though, I've only got the accent down
Test Subject
#22 Old 18th Mar 2016 at 6:46 AM
I'm OK in Japanese, still have a lot to learn tho.
Scholar
#23 Old 18th Mar 2016 at 5:27 PM
I speak French, Dutch, Welsh and English

Je suis forte en français, maar ik spreek niet goed nederlands, a rhaid i chi dysgu Cymraeg yng Nghymru, and English is my native tongue.

You can use Duolingo to (re)learn a language! It's fun and it's free!

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 1:50 AM
I'm from Norway, so I can speak Norwegian fluently, of course. (Hei sann, @Volvenom!) As abovementioned, Norwegian, Swedish and Danish are very similar. Linguistically speaking, they might well be considered different dialects of the same language, in fact. Most Norwegians, Danes and Swedes will be able to understand each other well and would prefer speaking to each other in our own languages rather than in English. Personally, I don't have any problem understanding Swedes and Danes at all. Written Norwegian and written Danish are almost identical due to the fact that Norway once was part of Denmark. But ironically, Swedish is easier for us to understand when it is spoken!

Apart from English and the Scandinavian languages, I had German at school for five years. I can't say that I'm comfortable speaking it, but at least I'm able to read German texts and understand most of it. (Once I managed to find out how to fix my brother's car when the instruction manual was in German only - I use to say that was the sole purpose of me learning it )
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 11:23 PM
Turkish - First language,therefore fluent
Knowing Turkish, I can understand Azerbaijani like 80% however i can't really type or speak
English - Pretty good at it I guess
German - I understand it to some extent but speaking part is harder for me
Swedish - I have some interest in this language,I can speak it at the beginner level.
Page 1 of 4