Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Apr 2016 at 3:57 PM
Default Breeding and Selling Pets
Being something who doesnt like random townies who typically has no family tree to the rest of the hood, Im same way with pets, I like them to add them for a "reason" and having breed like sims through several generations, rather than spawning strays or plopping down Cas pets whenever you feel like it.

Ive a couple of pet farmers who currently breeding dogs and sells everyone except one (who will breed with a new cas pets to continue on their family tree). Currently I selling them off the easier way by giving the pets to other families and use kaching afterward (plus using a hacked computer to donate the money from the other household). As I playing a sort of "living of the land" of hood, Im a bit uncertain how sell them in an actual pet store. Pets also add characterfiles (or as I heard of), so I dont want to over breed them), but other than founder family, I dont like to add CAS pets nor spawning strays.

So I wondering, How would you run a pet store if sims has to breed their own pets in order in sell them - while not overdo it (the characterfiles)?

I definitly wont breed every litter, but the pet farmers need to get a decent income so Im trying to find an happy medium. Never sold pets in OFB before. Currently, my hood has 50-60 or so couples, but I dont want all them to own pets, (Beside I plan to do a sim plague soon as my hood has become a tad overpopulated again. ) I use a 4day = 1 year aging system on my sims (though aging them up earlier as usual ), while the pets are vanilla, so they clearly live a lot shorter lifespan than their masters. About 10-15 real lif years for both. (Probably a tad too short realistically, but I dont really bother that much about their lifespan as long they are in the households for a reason. )

Another question: Do you usually mix the breeds, or breeding relastics by mating them with similare breeds?

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Apr 2016 at 4:59 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 5th Apr 2016 at 5:48 PM. Reason: Fixing typo
I don't mix breeds or breed realistically. I don't see the point given that the game can not mix that way, it will take the shape of one parent or the other. The only thing that might mix is the color of the fur, and that just comes out weird if there's too much of a difference. So I breed within the same breed, and I keep the fur simple. But I also don't care that much to see how genetics progress, and I seem to recall you do.

It sounds like you
1. Want pet breeders to breed and sell enough pets to survive while
2. Not having too many pets total and
3. Not have every household have a pet.

Unless the households that have pets can have more than one pet, it sounds like you in a given time period have a limited amount of pets that can be sold. You either have to sell those pets at a high enough cost for the breeders to survive, or you need to allow more pets somehow. I would figure out how many pets you can get sold, then see what they'd have to be sold for in order for breeders to survive. If that number is realistic in your game, then great. If it's too high, then you either need to allow more pets in one family, have pets in more households, or accept selling to townies so they end up as strays.

I have one breeder in my hood, and although pets are very costly in my game it's not enough to cover her costs. In order for her to survive, she'd have to sell a pet every other day, and I don't have enough households where I want pets for that to work. Therefore, she runs a pet store that sells pets and supplies. When she has pets to sell, she does, and the rest of the time her bills are paid by selling pet beds, pet toys and decorative CC pet food. That solution works well in my game, but I don't know if that solution would work with your rules and preferences.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Apr 2016 at 5:26 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 5th Apr 2016 at 6:07 PM.
Well, I dont care about genetics when it comes to pets, i just want them to get breeded generation wise, rather than creating one single pet in cas each time the other ones dies. Different breeds, I wasnt sure how the game handle the litters (as adult) so Ive never tryied to do. Only mixing up their furs, which to me can be rather cute. The current ones are white collies/shepards with brown noises.

Currenty I only have four families (related in one way to eachother) who breed 1-2 dogs of same/similare breed (havent done cats yet) and add a new cas one each time the other ones are reaching elders. As they live relastically only 4 years as adult, I only breed them once. Which give me 2-4litters each pet generation which are sold right away. Even with controlpets on, too many pets in household feel like a pain in the neck to handle. The families are usually 3 generation in one house (grandparents, parents and 1-3 kids) which make quiet many pixels to handle, even with motive cheats.

Because I breed too few pets at the moment, Im been a bit uncertain how the main family can handle the pet store that I created for them. But I might consider using it a pet supply store instead rather having multiple pets. Other than they has to breeded, I dont have any rules for pets. As I wrote earlier, I havent done the pet store business before so Im not sure how to do it efficiency (Sp? ).

If calcuating based on how I sold them on their actual lot rather than the business. Every 10 days (or so. As I dont want them to breed too often), the family only earn 4K for the litters, plus earn money from having CC pet related jobs. Their bills are 300-500 per day (lower class sims) which would be 3-5K in 10 days, so technicallly without cheating, the family could handle the current way Im doing it now.

I just feel a bit annoyed that the pet store get no use, only sitting in the hood untouched.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Apr 2016 at 8:32 PM
Let your pet breeders do the pet supply store and only bring pets you're ready to sell when they're available.

I've noticed that the more trained the pet is, the higher the price is from the sell interaction that's built into the game. So if you let the breeder keep the puppy or kitten a few days and get them housebroken and all they'll fetch more money.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#5 Old 5th Apr 2016 at 8:58 PM
You could also only sell pets while at the store. The sale interaction you use on home lots is available on business lots as well, so you could just transfer the sales you are doing at home to the store.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Apr 2016 at 10:27 PM
I am just starting to set up pets for my hood, I have my pet shop ready, my vet just graduated uni. My pet breeders (I will probably only have 1-2 dog and 1-2 cat breeding families) will only be breeding pets as a side line not as a main source of income. The pet shop will make most of it's money selling pet supplies. I will probably allow pets to be sold from the pet making containers simply because it will give me more variety and two it simplifies things. You did not mention small pets, mine will also be selling birds, game hamsters, and all of the small cc animals like lizards. I tend to use 1-2 sims to represent something larger.

If I was doing only breeding and selling of those pets, I would have it as a side line perhaps with something else unrelated to bring in cash. Plenty of people breed dogs or cats but have other jobs.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#7 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 12:45 AM
Stupid question: Does it have to be dogs and cats?
You could also get Rebeccah's animated farm anmials. They breed on their own and can be sold (only to the system, not other sims).
Or Dragonslave's horses, they are in fact decorative statues that come on many poses. Essentially "breeding" those would require some kind of out-of-the-game checks and they'd be sold like any other object by buying them from the catalogue.
I know this kind of make believe iosn't to everybody's liking, but it may help tu cut down the number of character files if more and more families want to get a piece of the animal trading action.
Alchemist
#8 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 1:43 AM
since dogs & cats are characters, I would guess the object type of selling would be unsafe for them (if possible); and might cause corruption.
I take they included non-character type of pets with the Pets expansion. it would probably be safe to do the object type of selling with them; and with other non-character pets.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 2:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
since dogs & cats are characters, I would guess the object type of selling would be unsafe for them (if possible); and might cause corruption.
I take they included non-character type of pets with the Pets expansion. it would probably be safe to do the object type of selling with them; and with other non-character pets.

There is a completely safe sell interaction within the Pets expansion. Before that, there were no pets. Selling the pets means other sims buy them...
Theorist
#10 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 3:00 AM
I never see people mention how much their bills are and now I'm surprised at the amount. Using tiny lots, my sims bills are rarely over $100., most in the $70 to $90 range. Occasionally I've had a sim raise a few kittens while living on a 1x1 lot and no problems, but I'm not into pets in a big way.
In real life, I've seen pure breed dogs selling for $1000 or more, which is reasonable for the care, training and upkeep for many of these animals. It also limits people to buying because they like the breed, not so much for the novelty.
I would think limited selling of a pet should have a high price to those who can afford them, in the case of someone trying to make a living from it. Add in the pet shop ideas mentioned here, should make for a decent living. Add in some training on these pets and the price should be higher.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Duine
I never see people mention how much their bills are and now I'm surprised at the amount. Using tiny lots, my sims bills are rarely over $100., most in the $70 to $90 range.

I know, Florentzina mention of her 'low class' bills always makes me laugh, those kind of bills are my rich sims.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 4:00 PM
Well, my bills are not "standard" maxi, the ones you get by the mail career. Mine is manual (CC Monique payeer/Payee bills) and modify after approximately after what each social class (economy/lifestyle based) typically earn. Except for tuition, it include both taxes and bills.
Low class 300, middle 500, high 1000 and outcast/royals none daily (yeah I know the other way around realistically )

Some manage it fine while others, like sims with businesses, I have to try to figure out how to make the sims survive on it. As I havent done pet businesses before, its a bit more challenging and having a "BACC" inspired twist, where careers are more limited depending on the hoods growth, make other jobs more limited for these sims.

Though I ve my own BACC rules, currently the hood has a SM population of 7000 (ca; 164 playables and 114 diseased). Certain jobs (medical/artist, archecture, law) are limited to majors/community lot build,
where other such as Education, Ive at least 30 spots (about 10 taken) for the sims. But who need 30 out of 164 sims being teachers? For pets, only security (for police sim owner) and service are available.