Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 8:32 AM
When I was eight or nine, I thought computer viruses were literal bugs that ate the insides of your computer. I was also a little slow.

Here's another one for you: lp0 on fire, or "Printer on Fire" on Unix. Early printers generated a lot of heat and were liable to burst into flame if things went wrong. So if the OS detected that the print wasn't running correctly but that there was still paper in the printer it showed the message to tell the system operator to go check it. Fortunately today's printers aren't nearly as combustible so it's more of a legacy thing.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#27 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 8:37 AM
Yeah, I remember how hot those dot matrix printers could get. All that friction from the back and forth and pulling in the paper and all that. I remember burning my fingers on one once. Because I can be a little slow, too. Of course, the fuser of a laser printer gets pretty hot, too, but at least it's enclosed so it won't tend to catch nearby curtains on fire or anything. Computering was dangerous back in the good ol' days.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 10:27 AM
Is this picture familiar to anyone?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#29 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 10:28 AM
Little Computer People? I know of it, but never had a chance to play it.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Is this picture familiar to anyone?

I reminds me of a game that I played very earlier on in my childhood in roughly 1998/1999 (I'm 21 now for reference, so it's a bit foggy to remember everything). The game, from I remember, had a three-story house similar to that, but your character's name was "Dinky," and if I'm correct, it was some sort of floppy disc game. Can't remember what the name of the game was, and my parents don't remember much of it if at all. Literally has been bothering me for the past 16 years.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 5:20 AM
It is Little Computer People. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Computer_People I played it on the Amiga when I was a kid. I still remember I had a blond haired guy named Evan with a blue shirt and his little brown dog. XD

And hey:

Will Wright, designer of The Sims, has mentioned playing Little Computer People, and receiving valuable feedback on The Sims from its designer, Rich Gold.
Page 2 of 2