Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2016 at 9:58 PM
Default Any good dog breeds?
What dog breed should you recommend to put on my legacy family in The Sims 2?

I am the owner and streamer of Twitch Plays The Sims.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 12th Sep 2016 at 10:24 PM
The smooth-haired weimeraner is a pretty dog. I like the light grey colour. Don't, whatever you do, include Sarah and her puppies, which are ugly.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Sep 2016 at 10:26 PM
Sarah and Danny's puppies were quite cute in my game. I guess the RNG gods were kinder to me than you (or you weren't patched properly and the father was assigned wrong). The dogs are pretty badly behaved though and a legacy probably wouldn't be the best place for them.

I'm more partial to cats, but I've had Greyhounds, Collies, and German Shepherds in my CAS families.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 4:16 AM
All dog breeds are good!
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 5:06 AM
I like big dogs, and I cannot lie. Although not necessarily in the game... Faves are Mastiffs, Newfoundlands, and St. Bernards. Yup, I like 'em big and hairy. And drooly...

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 5:42 AM
*shrugs* I have German Shepherds in my backyard. They're lovable, playful and great family dogs. They're also good babysitters. My mom's dog followed my little brother around for years to make sure he was safe in the backyard. lol

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 5:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I like big dogs, and I cannot lie. Although not necessarily in the game... Faves are Mastiffs, Newfoundlands, and St. Bernards. Yup, I like 'em big and hairy. And drooly...

When I was in school, I used to do newspapers and flyers. Once, someone had a big dog (I believe it was a Rottweiler) tied up on the porch with a clothesline. He broke the clothesline to follow me down the street. Took him back and tied him up again; the owners show up from the petstore with a new leash because he'd broken his old one!

Sometimes I would see around town a dog that looks like a crossbreed of a dalmatian and a Great Dane. He's enormous!

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Undead Molten Llama
#9 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 6:16 AM
Aw, the Rottie probably wanted to play. They have terrible reputations, of course, and when mistreated they can be mean and used for fighting, but otherwise...Well, my husband's dog is a Rottie, and he's the dopiest, sweetest thing and very protective of kids; he loves our neighbor's kids and is always crossing the road to go play with them when they're outside. But yeah, he does love to play chase, and when he does people can get scared because he's big and a Rottie, but you can tell he's not being mean because he's running with a big grin on his face and his tongue lolling out. He looks like a complete idiot, but he's having a ball. He also loves playing Frisbee on the beach. Well, he loves Frisbee anywhere, but he loves it best when you throw the frisbee into the water.

I think one of the standard coat patterns for Great Danes is white with black spots so...Yeah, kinda a huge Dalmatian. My Newfie is also white with black spots (a "Landseer," they're called) but, of course, she's a lot hairier than a Dalmation and a lot heavier than a Great Dane and only slightly shorter than one.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 6:26 AM
The dog wasn't acting aggressive or anything, just...kinda calmly following me, dragging a broken clothesline behind.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 6:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad

Now your profile picture looks as if you just could not get the dogs big or hairy enough, so you had to switch species. :P
Undead Molten Llama
#12 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 7:16 AM
Yup, yup, a llama pre-shearing IS like a big, hairy dog. One that's very bad-tempered. And that spits regurgitated plant matter at you. And kicks something fierce.

Although that particular llama is far calmer these days...BECAUSE WE GELDED HIM! MWAHAHAHAH!

Mad Poster
#13 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 7:27 AM
What is with Maxis and llamas anyways?

Undead Molten Llama
#14 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 7:31 AM
I think the devs just like 'em, same way they like penguins, so they became a "thing" for the series. I'm told it goes all the way back to Sims 1, and I'm guessing it's still a thing in Sims 4? (I don't know because I've never played it.)

Mad Poster
#15 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 7:32 AM
I believe it goes all the way back to SimCity, with a 'llama' speed and all...

Wonder if someone in Maxis is a fan of Jeff Minter.

Undead Molten Llama
#16 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 7:38 AM
Oh, right! I have SimCity4, so I kinda knew that. Haven't played it much, though; I bought it at a used book store for a dollar so that I could see about making terrains for TS2...which I still haven't done.

I don't know who Jeff Minter is, so... Off to Google. Or Bing, as the case may be, since Google and I broke up.

EDIT: Oh! I see now! Yeah, maybe. But then, lots of people who don't actually deal with llamas are fans of llamas. Give me alpacas any day. Sweetest animals on Earth.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 7:44 AM
According to Wikipedia, Jeff Minter lives on a farm with two llamas. So yeah.

Back when I had an old IBM Aptiva with Windows 98 and a 6-gigabyte hard drive, it would play one game well: SimCity 2000. Big Maxis fan back then, even used to hate The Sims and TS2 because they seemed more interested in those than the other simulation games like SimAnt or SimFarm or even the buggy fustercluck that was SimCopter (which actually had a rudimentary form of Simlish that sounded more like grunting).

Undead Molten Llama
#18 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 7:48 AM
On the computer that I had in...the late 80s/early 90s, I think?...I used to have SimEarth. I think that was a Maxis game, too. I was never very good at it. But then, I'm not very good at SimCity, either, so it's not surprising. Guess I'll have to stick with TS2.

Well, at least Mr. Minter knows that llamas are bastards, at least.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 7:52 AM
Yeah, SimEarth is Maxis. It and SimLife were kind of like Spore, or what Spore was supposed to be before it got changed around a bunch. And that was Will Wright's last game before he left Maxis, so....it isn't the same.

I have some of them in the original packaging too. SimEarth came with a little card to mail in if you needed the 5-1/4 inch actually-floppy disks.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 7:57 AM
Here we go:

Undead Molten Llama
#21 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 7:59 AM
Yeah, the machine I played the game on was considered a good one because it had a 3.5" floppy drive. And I think it had 256KB of RAM, which was a lot, at the time.

Amazing how far computers have come in such a short period of time. Hell, I was amazed at the Commodore 64 I had, and now look at us.

Mad Poster
#22 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 8:18 AM
I have a 1992 book on "Troubleshooting and Repairing Personal Computers" and this gem of a sentence was in it:
"If you ever see smoke coming out of your computer, something is burning."

Undead Molten Llama
#23 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 8:20 AM
Gee, ya think? Kinda like the packets of peanuts you get on airplanes that have warnings on them that they contain peanuts.

Mad Poster
#24 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 8:23 AM
I have a jar of peanut butter that warns that it may contain peanuts. I don't want to know...

There's an old joke though: Inside computer chips, there's magical smoke. When you 'let the smoke out,' it stops working.

Undead Molten Llama
#25 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 8:26 AM
May contain peanuts? I certainly HOPE it contains peanuts. If it didn't, I'd want my money back.

Magical smoke? I was thinking little microscopic fairies that constantly chant incantations to make things work. That and an army of microscopic hamsters to keep the physical parts running. But if it IS smoke that makes it all work, yeah best to not let it out.

Page 1 of 2