Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 2:28 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 7th Jul 2018 at 4:30 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Help Clear Up Confusion about Objects.package
I discovered while discussing a modding idea that I had the wrong objects package. Somehow, I was looking at an older file than the other modder was and lines were missing in the BHAV. Ok, so I found the same file he was looking at and made a copy and went on, but...

I need a couple things. I need to know if SimPE is loading the "final" or "complete" objects.package so that I can be sure I'm seeing what really is being read in the game. When I look in SimPE at the file table (I don't really know what I'm looking at), but everything is checked, so it seems that it's just loading all the possible object files. So, I would think it's loading everything?

When I look here at a wiki telling how to find object files, it says that these files are all dated Jan 14 2015. My files are dated at different times, first of all, and in 2010 and 2011, besides. How is that possible and what does it mean? I have the email I received from Origin saying that UC was automatically going into my account dated July 15, 2014.

My game functions fine, AFAIK, so I don't want to reinstall or contact Origin or anything, but what's going on? And how can I make sure I'm seeing the correct, most complete objects list in SimPE?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 3:34 AM
I don't know how the UC is installed, but do you have multiple folders in Program Files for e.g. The Sims 2 University, The Sims 2 Pets, etc.? Those each have their own objects.package, which contains the resources that were current as of the release of that expansion (and they will be the resources used for anyone who has that expansion as their last expansion). In SimPE, the easiest way to find the right objects.package is to click Open in... and then select the appropriate expansion folder. Then open the Objects folder, and inside you will find the objects.package.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 4:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
I don't know how the UC is installed, but do you have multiple folders in Program Files for e.g. The Sims 2 University, The Sims 2 Pets, etc.? Those each have their own objects.package, which contains the resources that were current as of the release of that expansion (and they will be the resources used for anyone who has that expansion as their last expansion). In SimPE, the easiest way to find the right objects.package is to click Open in... and then select the appropriate expansion folder. Then open the Objects folder, and inside you will find the objects.package.

I can find the right one if I just open the file (I use a copy, though, to be safe) but it's much easier for me to find things if I can use Object Workshop instead. I want to make sure that OW is opening the latest file, plus I still want to know why my files are not using the date that the wiki says they should.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 5:04 AM
Object Workshop is for making objects, isn't it? Why not use the SimAntics Resource Finder under PJSE to find resources? It gives you the instance and group numbers, then you look them up in the relevant objects.package. There's no harm in opening objects.package in SimPE, or even sorting functions or moving nodes around, as long as you don't commit anything.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 1:25 PM
The date on the objects.package is not important in terms of game compatibility, it depends on which EP/SP you are using to find your objects.package. If you want the resources to reflect the additions that witches bring, then you need to open the object package from AL; if you want seasons related additions then you open the seasons object package. If you want compatibility with all EP functions, then open M&G, or your latest EP.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 2:33 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 7th Jul 2018 at 3:02 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Object Workshop is for making objects, isn't it? Why not use the SimAntics Resource Finder under PJSE to find resources? It gives you the instance and group numbers, then you look them up in the relevant objects.package. There's no harm in opening objects.package in SimPE, or even sorting functions or moving nodes around, as long as you don't commit anything.

Because I don't know how to find an object without the name or numbers needed. [EDIT: I wouldn't mind learning this. Does anyone have a clear tutorial?] Object Workshop gives me the common in-game names and pictures. What wrong with using Object Workshop to find them? And I am making objects, so makes sense to me.

I'd rather not risk making a mistake and accidentally saving a change that messes up my object files. Yes, I keep backups, but using a copy is just safer practice for me.

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
The date on the objects.package is not important in terms of game compatibility, it depends on which EP/SP you are using to find your objects.package. If you want the resources to reflect the additions that witches bring, then you need to open the object package from AL; if you want seasons related additions then you open the seasons object package. If you want compatibility with all EP functions, then open M&G, or your latest EP.

Thank you, that's helpful. What if I don't know what I want exactly and I want Objects Workshop to show me the latest of everything?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#7 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 2:52 PM
To ensure you are getting the latest resources for you game configuration, make sure all EPs/SPs are ticked in the file table in SimPE Preferences. In addition to the objects.package, there are also overrides.packages, which appear to have updated resources from previous games for select resources. But if you have all EPs ticked when making your clones, you should have all the latest resources.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Because I don't know how to find an object without the name or numbers needed. [EDIT: I wouldn't mind learning this. Does anyone have a clear tutorial?] Object Workshop gives me the common in-game names and pictures. What wrong with using Object Workshop to find them? And I am making objects, so makes sense to me.

What objects are you making? From the last threads you linked where you were having trouble with hacks, you were modifying BHAVs of existing objects, not making new ones.

The SimAntics Resource Finder will give you all the information you need to find an object in objects.package, and the search function is far superior to just randomly browsing through objects in the Object Workshop.