Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 5:15 PM
Default Best Book You've Ever Read?
Mine's got to be Miss Christina by Mircea Eliade and Tunnels (1,2,3,4) by Roderick Gordon & Brian Williams.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 11:28 PM
The Giver by Lois Lowry

That's the book that I've the largest emotional impact to and the writing is great. If it's simply books I've really enjoyed then add Harry Potter 1-7 and the Hunger Games Trilogy to that list.

Hi I'm Paul!
Inventor
#3 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 12:05 AM
Lord of the Rings. No book (or trilogy) has made that much of an impression to me. Usually I don't even have the patience to read, but when it comes to LOTR I don't even feel frightened about the over 1000 pages..

Another book I loved was the Da Vinci code. There are just so many exciting moments and details.

.. and of course I'm a Potter fan ^^

Pretty non original picks, but as I said I'm not much of a reader. I prefer movies and TV. There was one "anonymous" book though that I really liked. I don't know the title in English, but it was about a girl who was so tired of her life she didn't know what to do. She found herself boring.. Then one day she notice some scrabble letters on the floor, and she got this idea of collecting 4 of them (A, B, C, D) in a bag and everyday she made 4 options of what to do. One weird thing, one nice thing, one regular thing and one almost mean thing.. She picked a letter from the bag which told her what to do next. Of course she ended up picking some of the bad options and things troubled up
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 8:31 PM
I like a lot of books, and they're mostly sci-fi/fantasy, e.g: Tolkien books (LOTR, obviously, among others), Harry Potter series, and so on.
But the best book I've read is Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky. There's a bit of sci-fi in it, but oh so much more to it than that. I cannot wait for the sequel to come out in Swedish... *sigh*.
Theorist
#5 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 1:01 PM
Harry Potter series. Never did I thought I would be able to stand reading a book which contains over 1000 pages. I used to be content by hearing my sister tell me the stories' details, but suddenly decided I'm interested enough to read it on my own after all.

Oh, and I also like Hercule Poirot series by Agatha Christie.
Instructor
#6 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 1:03 PM
I'm not much of a reader, but out of the ones I did read, The Godfather is undoubtedly the best.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 5:21 PM
The Once and Future King by T.H. White. I first read it as a child, and it had a HUGE impact on the person I became.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Instructor
#8 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 11:54 PM
The most amazing and can't put it down book(s) I have read is a series called ' The Three Worlds' by Ian Irvine. It's fantasy and sci-fi and absolutely fascinating.

A friend of mine gave me the first book to read, then I found out it was a trilogy and then another one, I'm waiting for book number 12 to come out... I think it's number 12, could be 13 I'm losing track.

I recommend this to anyone who likes sci-fi with a bit of fantasy thrown in.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Test Subject
#9 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 8:53 PM
Ooooh tough one.
it has to be a tie between
The night angel trilogy (brent weeks)
The black prism (brent weeks)
The sight (not sure)
Firebringer (not sure
Silverwing series + Darkwing (keneth oppel)
Mortal engines (not sure)
The wind singer (not sure)
and a few others....
Scholar
#10 Old 28th Jan 2011 at 6:14 PM
The Phantom of the Opera - by Gaston Leroux

The end of magical Pegasaus's era through the world of sims
Banned
#11 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 12:03 AM
Gone - by Michael Grant
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 5:27 PM
Either the Harry Potter series,It or The Stand
Field Researcher
#13 Old 4th Feb 2011 at 7:29 PM
I recently read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and I got really attached to it. The first time I read it I read it in two days, it then spent the next two weeks divided between my school bag and my bedroom, and it's currently on my bedroom floor. I still won't let my Mam read it, y'no when books just feel kind of...private.
I'd have to say it is now safely my favourite book

Anthrochocobo - ooh good books, I loved the Windsinger trilogy when I was younger, the ending still makes me cry :')

Google has the answers. Not me.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 5:58 AM
The Awakening by Kate Chopin. I had to read it for English class, and I almost didn't, because I expected it to be extraordinarily dull and boring, seeing as it is a feminist novel about a housewife in the 1890s... However, it turned out to be the most exciting and inspiring book I've ever read.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 12:18 PM
The one book that I remember as having had a lasting impression, aside from just entertainment value, is The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Amazing book, would recommend it to anyone.

"Those who mind don't matter; and those that matter don't mind" - Dr Suess
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vickster
The one book that I remember as having had a lasting impression, aside from just entertainment value, is The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Amazing book, would recommend it to anyone.

It's my favourite as well. I cried at the end.

SPOILER ALERT//

I cried when Dobby died in the Deathly Hallows, but i think seeing it on screen made it more real.

Are you questionning my badassness? I <3 Glee GO TEAM PUCK :D
Alchemist
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 8:06 AM
Dobby dies? ... ... WAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAH!!!

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Inventor
#18 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 2:18 AM
Not the best book I've ever read, but certainly right up there, is the one I'm currently reading - Kushiel's Dart, by Jacqueline Carey. I rarely read fantasty fiction but a friend insisted I read it and I'm hooked.

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Test Subject
#19 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 8:25 PM
There are so many, can't decide just one. But one of the best authors of all time is Terry Pratchett! I have loved all of his books so far, I never get bored with them. So bad he got Alzheimer's.
Banned
#20 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 10:50 AM
Legends of Olympus. It's full of bull but it's the good kind of bull. Anybody happen to know if there's something similar but for Egyptian mythology?
Test Subject
#21 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 10:12 PM
I can't pick just one. But here are three books that affected my life:
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 3:30 AM
A Song of Ice and Fire, an epic fantasy series by George R. R. Martin. There are 5 huge books in the series so far. I've read the series twice and want to start reading it from the beginning again, soon. I couldn't put the books down but read them every moment possible. Fantastic series.

I'm sure the sims 3 book called A Game of Thorns is a spin off the first book in this series called A Game of Thrones.
Instructor
#23 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 6:42 PM
Pippi Longstocking, 'cause I think it's one of the first real books I read. After I had finished it, I felt like turning it over and reading it again.
I should read it again soon, I haven'r read it since. I'm just scared I've grown out of it.
Inventor
#24 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 7:01 PM
I'm not going to be original. Harry Potter.
For me, it isn't just a book. I know it sounds dumb and very 'over the top' but it is true. It is part of me now and when all else fails I go to my room with chocolate and read it.
However I also really enjoyed the first two Maximum Ride books. I highly recommend them. However they go VERY down hill after the 4th one.

Darkness thrives in the void,
but always yields to purifying light.

My Tumblr