Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#751 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 12:29 PM
Fair enough, that's their taste, but i remember back when this board was FULL of people all the time. The problem is, those RPs that don't call for an essay don't exist anymore. These days, people devote hours to RPing, when before, it was just a casual hobby some people had. This place is pretty much a shell of its former self because the hardcore RPers have alienated the casual crowd
Advertisement
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#752 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 12:55 PM
We have alienated no one. Not intentionally. The casual RPers tend to be just that; casual. They come and go. When people go, RPs begin to fade, and will eventually die. The difference between casual RPers and "hardcore" RPers, is that the hardcore RPers stick around a lot longer than the casual RPers do. The casual RPers tend to leave after a couple of weeks, or months if we're lucky. They disappear for weeks, months, sometimes years, which not only causes the number of members to drop, but also make other players (casual ones as well as the hardcore ones) hesitant to RP with them, because they've been left hanging for ages, only to eventually have to RP themselves out of the mess they were put into by the person who ditched them. And that often tkes the fun out of roleplaying, for casual RPers and hardcore ones alike.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#753 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 1:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omarion10
Fair enough, that's their taste, but i remember back when this board was FULL of people all the time. The problem is, those RPs that don't call for an essay don't exist anymore. These days, people devote hours to RPing, when before, it was just a casual hobby some people had. This place is pretty much a shell of its former self because the hardcore RPers have alienated the casual crowd

Omarion, if you'd taken the time to read what the rules say, you'd realise that the minimum requirement for a lost length is 8 lines. Not 8 paragraphs. In concurrence with what Atropa said, we alienated no-one. You're perfectly at liberty to join in as a newbie RP'er and build up as you go, if you so wish. Has it perhaps not occurred to you that the players who didn't write "essays" were the transient ones anyway and therefore left as time went on, and the now it's filtered down to those who do write "essays" because they were clearly more committed?

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#754 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 1:09 PM
Also, omarion (and this is not an attempt to gang up on you or anything), why don't YOU start a more casual RP? You clearly want one, and you've been roleplaying on here before; you clearly fit the requirements for starting an open roleplay of your own here? And all newbies are welcome to start closed ones.
Which also brings me to the fact that no one has, which in itself also supports that the lack of players here isn't only or even mostly because the rest of us have alienated the casual RPers. I'm sure we'd all just love to see this forum come alive again.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Top Secret Researcher
#755 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 1:57 PM
Well, I joined as the forum was starting to peter out, and I like writing and getting into my characters, and, this is going to sound uber b*tchy, but I dread new RPers. Most of them post their app and never RP, or the ones that do RP do so without leaving anything for a longer poster to go off of, and so on. And then they disappear, and because I consider two weeks to be an acceptable lead time, it makes a mess out of everything for my characters having to hold things short. Yeah new people get intimidated, but experienced people can have lots of trouble dealing with new people. Being able to write halfway decently with a character that has room for development should not exclude the entire population of this site.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Top Secret Researcher
#756 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 1:31 AM
Pardon the double post.
What happened to the search function in the threads?

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#757 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 1:49 AM
I think searching is putting a lot of strain on the board. A few days ago, almost all parts of the search function were disabled because of it? Figure they might have decided to just renable certain parts of it?

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Top Secret Researcher
#758 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 12:57 AM
I had a thought.
I've noticed lots of new names lurking on the board, and of course there have been a few necromanced threads of late, and a number of epic flounces too.
So what about a truly newbie freindly RP, with a post length LIMIT?
Just a nice casual RP, say... a historical, pirates maybe? where the minimum post length is the usual 8 lines, but there's a length cap of say, 24 lines? That way that thread won't be too intimidating, new people can get their bearings, and since characters wouldn't have the opportunity to develop as much, it won't bother people too much when transient RPers are there, then not, then there.

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#759 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 1:17 AM
That's a really good idea, Furry. We could use something like that, since hopefully, like you say, it'll help the "newbies" feel more at ease, and will also give us all a chance to show that we really do not bite. Much.

Though we'd need someone willing to host it?

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Top Secret Researcher
#760 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 1:26 AM
I'd be willing to host it, I just would want to have a marginally more fleshed out idea, since the thought of a newbie RP was my blinding flash of insight for the evening, and a pirate theme was because that's the soundtrack on here atm. And of course I would want some newbies to actually say they were interested, and I'ven't the foggiest if they actually read this thread (I didn't when I was new, this was the thread where all the experienced RPers hung out, and it was 25 pages long)

Lab Assistant
#761 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 5:14 AM
I was reading your old VtM threads and really enjoyed it. I used to be a WoD'er involved with Mage, Hunter and WWtA and to be honest bloodlines through me off because I was thinking it was the post Gahenna set that I never learned. Glad to see it was something I was familiar with. I wouldn't mind being involved in it and I could post a couple of times a week, but I didn't want to just stumble through and use thread necromancy.(Not into the Cappadocian-Giovanni thing :P)

Has it gone belly up? If not how do I present a proper intro? What steps should I take. Is late here and work in the a.m. so forgive the lack of research.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#762 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 7:46 AM
cdanon - Ah, glad to see someone interested in joining. You'd be most welcome to do so. And no, the VtM RP hasn't gone belly up, it's simply moved, as announced in the last post in the thread, here. The RP is still alive and well, possibly fairing better than ever, and all the info you'd need in order to join ought to be found there. And if not, I'm available through PMs, both here and there.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Test Subject
#763 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 5:25 AM
: ) i like this
Test Subject
#764 Old 14th Mar 2010 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FurryPanda
I'd be willing to host it, I just would want to have a marginally more fleshed out idea, since the thought of a newbie RP was my blinding flash of insight for the evening, and a pirate theme was because that's the soundtrack on here atm. And of course I would want some newbies to actually say they were interested, and I'ven't the foggiest if they actually read this thread (I didn't when I was new, this was the thread where all the experienced RPers hung out, and it was 25 pages long)

I would be interested. The RP's already in progress are a bit overwhelming for me. I don't really like jumping in as the newbie when the other characters have already developed, both as characters themselves and with relationships with other characters. It just makes it a little hard to get involved. I've been waiting for a new RP to open up here for a while, but have had no luck. I really hope something opens soon.
Inventor
#765 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 5:39 PM
FurryPanda, I know this particular thread has been dead forever, but I would still do that.
Top Secret Researcher
#766 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 5:47 PM
Jewaukeela- The idea got modified into space pirates in this thread's descendant, which is stickied at the top of the forum, but the RP did start, and new players are always welcome.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=397820

Test Subject
#767 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 8:38 PM
This came from an old rp called losing reality...but I think we could still make someting of it....My description

You live in the forest,unaware that there are others.Not only other people but other species.You can Begin your own tribe and fight or make peace with other tribes and between others

Character design (ur profile/Charcter):
Races:
-Human
-Elf (Lotr style)
-Dwarf
-Halfling
-Animal Humanoid
-Fairy
-Half elf ( put in parthensis elf/ [whatever main race] next to half elf)
Sub-Races ( u can have muti sub-races) (optianal):
-Morpher (change into anything)
-Angel

Classes (many as u want):
-Enchanter/ess
-Necromencer
-Summoner
-Elementalist (elemental controler)
-Warrior
-Monk (preist/ess)
- Assassin
-Ritualist (controls spirits)
-Dervish (preist/ess that fights instead of healing)
-Paragon ( a type of commander)
-Druid (combined ranger with since if you look at it they are practacly the same!)
Weapons:
-anything except guns, chainsaws, drills, and flamethrowers.
you also post:
-Bio:
-history:
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#768 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 8:59 PM
darkside414 - This thread is outdated. The new Roleplay Planning/Brainstorming thread is stickied at the top of the Roleplay forum.

Closing due to repeated posting in inactive thread. For discussing roleplays and roleplaying, please go to the new thread.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~

Page 31 of 31