Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 11:19 AM
Default Better slope into underground garage?
It's very disturbing when limitations turn awesome in theory into a staggering eyesore. After asking for ideas at GameFaqs someone told me about the possibility for underground parking garages. Inspired by this, I took my sledgehammer and foundations and walls were smashed to make room for the coveted garage.

When it was finished, I looked at the driveway that sloped down under my house and I cringed! I had used the smooth tool to go under, and then I painted the asphalt right on the terrain. The result is a staggering abomination :

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=945901

As you can imagine, I am bothered to tears with the curve in the slope ( it's too organic for me ) and wish for something more... structured, geometric, precise. Does anyone have any advice, other than 'start over?'
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 2:25 PM
A couple things came to mind, first try to use foundations around the sides of the driveway and place your fence on it, then use the level terrain tool to lower all of your slope down, switch to smooth terrain tool to gently get the slope you want. I am not to sure how this will effect a lot that is done, normally I do the driveway at the start. If you can send the lot to me I can test it for you and make a little tutorial.
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ryanferguson
A couple things came to mind, first try to use foundations around the sides of the driveway and place your fence on it, then use the level terrain tool to lower all of your slope down, switch to smooth terrain tool to gently get the slope you want. I am not to sure how this will effect a lot that is done, normally I do the driveway at the start. If you can send the lot to me I can test it for you and make a little tutorial.

Offering to test my lot is quite generous, but it would be a burden. What I'm really trying to say is that I have one secret feature on my lot that I don't want to share because I have not seen it done before in other lots. Thank you for your offer, but I think I'm too selfish to let you see the lot until it is finished, lol! The sad thing is, my idea may not even be as great or original as I think it is.

I was able to fix my driveway into the underground garage by constraining a border of floor tiles around the edge of the area I wanted to lower. These floor tiles were immune the lower terrain tool and this allowed me to click my slope downward by eye in safety. In this way I was able to make exactly the slope I wanted:

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=946315

It's not that the terrain tools are too unwieldly, it's that I did not experiment enough to find a workaround before running here for assistance. I hope this helps. And thanks again, sorry for being selfish!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#4 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 1:32 PM
You could try to lower the sides of the driveway down to the level of the middle of the driveway. Just a thought.
Site Helper
#5 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 4:32 PM
Agreed. The driveway looks very odd the way that it is now. Do sims have any problem getting out of the car?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka

I was able to fix my driveway into the underground garage by constraining a border of floor tiles around the edge of the area I wanted to lower. These floor tiles were immune the lower terrain tool and this allowed me to click my slope downward by eye in safety. In this way I was able to make exactly the slope I wanted:

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=946315

as far as my noob experience goes there are no set definite slopes you can tweak on the land tool.

it looks like you got ahead of yourself in laying out your house.
(my opinion)
1. delete the tiles on the outsides of the wall around the slope entrance to the wall.
2. move the brick wall or delete the brick wall. the walls can adjust to uneven terrain. ( i spent an hour just testing out some of these tutorials on this site.
3. this will be the most fun! you are going to need to have more surface are to tweak with the slope. since there are no slope formula clickers in sims you are going to need to work one section at a time. the garage level is fine, the middle level looks ok. the entrance to the street needs to be level and then smoothed to the middle to garage entrance. this may take some time depending on you expertise with the tools and patience with the camera jigginess.

are you confused yet
anybody else have any ideas?
Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 11:28 PM Last edited by Shoosh Malooka : 2nd Jul 2009 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Adding to post to save space
Yes, I originally had all the parking spaces outside, but they took too much room for my liking and I changed the plan to take the underground parking approach.

Lol, does it really look that bad? Here is how the slope connects:

1 From the street to the beginning of the slope it is level
2 The slope suddenly plunges straight into a descending angle
3 Upon entrance into the garage the slope jolts back to a level angle
4 No smoothing!

I may likely take this advice, though:

You could try to lower the sides of the driveway down to the level of the middle of the driveway. Just a thought.

I think that's a great idea and may look better.

EDIT:

You guys were very helpful, I thought it looked fine before until now!

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=950150
http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=950151
http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=950152

It's too bad I cant tile the inner sides of the driveway because the fence tool does not lock the slope, maybe I can find a good texture with the spray tool.
Screenshots