Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th May 2013 at 8:03 PM
Default Does anyone play Animal Crossing at all (not off-topic, I promise!)
Well, in the first animal crossing game, I think there are a lot of Sims 1 sound effects used. Like when the character digs up something or goes fishing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...qWNM8Sak#t=691s

There are other moments like that, too, but you'd have to sit through the entire video and that's up to you.

Do you think that the background music for catching the fish as well as digging up an object from the ground came from Sims 1 or they just sound really similar?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th May 2013 at 11:26 PM
I never thought they were the same. That doesn't mean that they weren't similar, it's just that they didn't strike me that way. I did like all the sounds. I can only play a game if I like the music and sounds that come with it.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 21st May 2013 at 4:20 AM
Oh, the nostaligia! There was a time my kids and I were all three completely obsessed with Animal Crossing. So cute! I'm enjoying the video now. Love the music and all the old familiar sounds!

I can't say the sound effects in Animal Crossing ever reminded me of The Sims, though. I'm not sure which I played first, and it has been a long time since I played The Sims for more than an hour or so. Nonetheless, I have a pretty sensitive ear for music and sounds, and based on what I'm hearing now, I don't think any of AC's sounds were taken from The Sims.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st May 2013 at 5:05 AM
I think the soundbite that plays after a fish is caught and given the little dialog describing it sounds like a part of the music that is in the opening background of sim's 1. I've always thought that.

Here's what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...etailpage#t=14s
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st May 2013 at 6:01 AM
I'm still not hearing it, sorry Maybe it's the similarity of instruments? There's whistles and those shaker instruments...?

I imagine my town is a jungle of weeds by now.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st May 2013 at 10:09 PM
I hear the similarity you're talking about, but it IS just similarity. Definitely not an example of "Sims 1 sound effects" being used.

Think about different musical genres for a moment. Any given piece of music from a particular genre is going to have at least a few similar elements compared to any other piece of music from the same genre. Those similar elements are what define the genre, after all.

I think the same is true of video game sound effects, in general. There are only so many ways to convey an alert (of something happening), a funny moment, danger, etc., and there's naturally going to be similarities between games.

eta: It's the difference between "sounds like" or "that reminds me of" and "that's the exact same sound".
Forum Resident
#7 Old 8th Jun 2013 at 1:51 AM
Yes, I used to play Animal Crossing a few years ago (when I was middle school aged), and as a matter of fact, I to this day like to recreate Tom Nook's shop in The Sims.
#8 Old 8th Jun 2013 at 5:41 AM
My mother is in her 60s, but she has been a gamer since around 1996 and has always preferred 'adventure' type games over any other. I bought a used copy of 'Animal Crossing' for her in 2004 because it looked like it might be something she'd enjoy. I gave it to her and I was like "Yeah, it looks like it's kind of a baby game but maybe you can get SOMETHING out of it".

Flash forward a year after that, and pretty much my entire (adult) household was hooked on it. We all developed particular affection for this dopey blue goat named Iggy, and he constantly moved between our towns. We were supposed to be grown-ass men and women, but there we were sniping at each other over coffee going "So Iggy's living in YOUR town again, huh? Yeah, laugh it up, I'll get him back! He BELONGS WITH ME!!!". There was also a lot of jealousy over who got the best K.K. Slider tunes on any given Saturday, and there were many heated discussions over Tom Nook, about whether he was a savvy business raccoon or nothing but a monopolizing thug kingpin.

Needless to say, we shared our enthusiasm and shame with each other in equal amounts (and still do).

I know what tune you're talking about (it's pretty much burned into my psyche), it's definitely similar but not the same. It sounds like they just used the same synthesized 'woo woo' sound for both tunes (yes, 'woo woo sound' is a very sophisticated musical term). I think that sound is a sample of some kind, because it turns up in all sorts of different soundtracks and songs.

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien