Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jan 2015 at 10:40 PM
Default Making Rugs look like they have pile
I'm busy recolouring floor rugs, and I want them to look like they have some pile. When I made floor rugs for Sims2 I used to add some noise to get this affect, but it doesn't seem to work now. Can anyone tell me how I can add a pile effect to my designs?
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 7:36 PM
Just to explain for other people, “pile” in this context is this: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-carpet-pile.htm

What I’d probably try is get/take some photos of actual carpet and work from that .. also, if the texture is very important you can use a higher resolution image too if the current one is too low res to get the detail across – the game has no problem with that, as long as the lengths of the sides are a power of 2 (64, 128, 512 etc pp).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 15th Jan 2015 at 1:03 AM
I was just messing around with this in paint.net the other night. I achieved a nice texture using the overlay option in a new layer.

I found a texture by googling "carpet pile seamless texture" and found a few good ones. I uploaded the one I used after I sized it down to 512x512 and made it into a grey scale by clicking on Adjustments/Black and White. It's down in the attachments.

I exported the texture for the medium sisal rug just to show you what I did.

Opened it up in paint.net, added a layer, then made that layer and overlay. I clicked back to my black and white texture that I resized to the same as the rug texture, copied it, then pasted it on the new overlay layer on the rug. Merge the layers down before saving.

Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 15th Jan 2015 at 10:41 AM
Looks very nice! Good Job and good tutorial

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
For a quick mod overview, take a look at my Profile page