Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2015 at 7:57 PM
Default Unable to place stairs?
I've tried googling/browsing to try to figure out what to do to fix this myself, but honestly all the tutorials are blending together and I'm not really sure what I need one way or the other. Most tutorials are starting from complete scratch, and I'm not. I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me. :P

I'm not really a creative builder from scratch, so usually I just stick with premade homes and tinker with décor and small changes to make it fit the sim soon to be living there better. In this case I just want to replace a small set of stairs with some cast iron ones, but it won't let me. Here's a pic:

I've tried CFE, which I'm sure I wasn't using right in the end, tried deleting bits and pieces to see if that worked, nothing. However, if I extend that platform one square more so it's over the ground, THEN the stairs work just peachy. But I'm stubborn and want to learn how to make them work where they are.

If anyone could give me some step by steps for fixing this, I'd be very grateful.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 20th Dec 2015 at 9:45 PM
Hm, I seem to remember something like this. I wonder if that staircase needs to go down before the pillars holding the bridge up, and perhaps even before the pool. It's something about them being in the way of the footprint of the stairs.

You can also try holding down alt as you place them. Probably do that before you knock down the hole thing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Dec 2015 at 11:09 PM
Thanks for replying.

I've tried holding down alt, that didn't work either.

I tried deleting the two squares of the pool right in front of the stairs, and that allowed me to place the stairs! But now I can't replace the pool section. *headdesks*
dodgy builder
#4 Old 20th Dec 2015 at 11:50 PM
Have you tried cfe to put down the pool after? Probably doesn't work, bit you never know. Perhaps Tee Hee She has a suggestion if she's around.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Dec 2015 at 12:06 AM
Yep. I also have moveobjects activated, but it still says it can't intersect with the stairs.
mature minion
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Dec 2015 at 11:50 PM
OK, you can do this but it's a bit fiddly, it works fine once you've set it up though.

You first need to delete the pool underneath where you want to place the stairs so that the game will let you place them.
Next you need to use cfe to raise the floor above where you want the pool to be back to the regular wall height.
Then you place your pool
Then you use cfe to lower the walkway back to the correct height.

Voila - you have your stairs over the pool