Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 12:37 AM
Default How to identify the correct hair mesh file?
I've attempted in modding this hair, and after looking in Fullbuild0.package, i thought i finally found it. "afHairBobStraight".

When i opened it in Milkshape. It seemed to be the correct hair, but then i went in-game and my edited mesh didn't show up. I thought i might have been doing something wrong, despite the fact that i KNEW i did all the steps correctly. I asked Wes Howe about it, and he was taking a look at my file. He said that in the SIMO file the hair showed up as "afHairStraightShoulder".

So, i was like.. uh ok what the heck? I went back and exported it and edited the "afHairStraightShoulder" (The mesh was exactly the same as afHairBobStraight" and it still didn't work!

So my question is, how do you identify the correct instance for any hair mesh? How do you know which one is the correct one because this is driving me nuts.. I think i re-did my mesh like 6 times!
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 2:40 AM Last edited by Delphy : 11th Jul 2009 at 3:13 AM.
Get the CTU and use the Mesh Find to select the Hair you want. The instance id shown on the Mesh Find tab (in the grey box) will be the instance id of the name (ie afHairBobStraight).

However, this is NOT the instance id that you want to change. What you actually want is this:

afHairBobStraight_lod0
afHairBobStraight_lod1
afHairBobStraight_lod2
afHairBobStraight_lod3

This translates to the following FNV64s (which is actually an FNV32, but anyway...):

afHairBobStraight_lod0 0x00000000AFA51741
afHairBobStraight_lod1 0x00000000AFA51740
afHairBobStraight_lod2 0x00000000AFA51743
afHairBobStraight_lod3 0x00000000AFA51742

So when you replace the GEOM file for that hair you have to make sure that your TGI is set to the instance for the particular LOD (you should be editing all 4 of them).

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 4:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Get the CTU and use the Mesh Find to select the Hair you want. The instance id shown on the Mesh Find tab (in the grey box) will be the instance id of the name (ie afHairBobStraight).

However, this is NOT the instance id that you want to change. What you actually want is this:

afHairBobStraight_lod0
afHairBobStraight_lod1
afHairBobStraight_lod2
afHairBobStraight_lod3

This translates to the following FNV64s (which is actually an FNV32, but anyway...):

afHairBobStraight_lod0 0x00000000AFA51741
afHairBobStraight_lod1 0x00000000AFA51740
afHairBobStraight_lod2 0x00000000AFA51743
afHairBobStraight_lod3 0x00000000AFA51742

So when you replace the GEOM file for that hair you have to make sure that your TGI is set to the instance for the particular LOD (you should be editing all 4 of them).

Hope this points you in the right direction.

I have tried editing the afHairBobStraight_lod1, but i've been using S3PE to package them.. I didn't want to do it manually in Postal, but i'm going to try setting the TGI for the correct LOD myself.

Thanks Delphy !
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#4 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 11:52 AM
I've also updated the CTU tool so that it locates and extracts meshes for you automatically.

Also, you want to be editing lod0 not lod1.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Alchemist
#5 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 5:33 PM
By the way, your CTU is a leading contendor for the title "most useful tool, 2009".

<* Wes *>
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 12:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
I've also updated the CTU tool so that it locates and extracts meshes for you automatically.

Oh, god. That makes things so much easier!
Also, I could've sworn that the _lod1 was changing the hair on the little face that pops up when you click something. I could be wrong.
Alchemist
#7 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 6:05 AM
That could be true... the smaller, less detailed thumbnail may use the _lod1 mesh to build the thumbnail with. After all, more or less detail is what the different lods are all about.

Generally, an artist would work on _lod0, and when it is finished, they would build new versions of the other lods by removing faces from copies of their detailed mesh. This is a lot of work, and shortcuts are possible, but that would have been how the originals were made.

<* Wes *>