Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 6:43 PM
New to Sims 1 can I extract a sim's picture
I ran across a new never been opened version of the sims 1 complete collection a couple of weeks ago. Having always played the sims 2 but since my laptop went into what I like to think as a laptop vegetative state until I can get it fixed, leaving me now with only my old behemoth of a laptop that I like to call Helga I got it and started playing. I was a little disappointed that sims 1 doesn't have the family tree like the sims 2 does so I would like to keep track of one myself is there any way to extract a character's little pic like there is in the sims 2, it would make things so much easier than just having the sim's name on the tree.

Frankly my dear I'd rather be playing sims :P
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 2:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kittcat92
I ran across a new never been opened version of the sims 1 complete collection a couple of weeks ago. Having always played the sims 2 but since my laptop went into what I like to think as a laptop vegetative state until I can get it fixed, leaving me now with only my old behemoth of a laptop that I like to call Helga I got it and started playing. I was a little disappointed that sims 1 doesn't have the family tree like the sims 2 does so I would like to keep track of one myself is there any way to extract a character's little pic like there is in the sims 2, it would make things so much easier than just having the sim's name on the tree.

I don't know the exact answer to your question, it's been a while since I did anything productive with TS1. I play The Sims Medieval these days, and have recently thought about doing a family tree, I've been trying to keep track in just text, but my current kingdom's relationships are quite involved, so I figured I'd try and keep track with images as well. I'm not fond of the thumbs produced by the game, I'd rather take the pic myself, which brings me to my suggestion for you.
You could always take a nice shot of each sim that better shows who they are and scale it down to whatever size you want.
I'm sure someone here will be able to answer your actual question, just thought I'd put my suggestion in since I'm currently trying to do the same thing you are.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 9:13 PM
I thought about that, I may just do that for the time being but I really don't want that to be my long term solution since all my photo software is all on my comatose laptop, I'm a little finicky about pictures I take.

Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 10:43 PM
I think you can get those thumbnails. At the very least, you should be able to take pictures in game (using the game's camera) of your Sims. Then go to your program files/Maxis/User Data for whichever neighborhood it is/photo album and the thumbnails will be there.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Jun 2013 at 3:59 PM
Well I am just using snapshots for now until someone comes along who knows how to get them, on a side note does anyone know where I could get a mod to call for an adoption instead of my sims randomly getting a call? Or a modded item to instantly kill a sim?

Forum Resident
#6 Old 30th Jun 2013 at 4:01 PM
You do know that there is no true aging system in The Sims 1, don't you? The only way to emulate one, is to use the age up spell, and kill old relatives manually.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 30th Jun 2013 at 4:06 PM
Or a modded item to instantly kill a sim?

If you cant find a mod for this you can always send the sim to use the telescope, sooner or later aliens will take the sim away. This is how I lost my first ever sim in Sims 1.
Any time I play now I never have sims use the telescope for sims I want to keep.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Jun 2013 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
You do know that there is no true aging system in The Sims 1, don't you? The only way to emulate one, is to use the age up spell, and kill old relatives manually.

Yes I'm aware, I don't want to age any sim I would like to implement random events such as a horrible plague or something similar to kill off a few sims if i feel my neighborhood is too crowded, or just to spice it up a bit. I don't really want to sit around and wait for each one to die of motive failure, I just want to click and this sim is dead I'm just impatient like that

Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Jun 2013 at 6:49 PM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 30th Jun 2013 at 7:40 PM. Reason: I guess little things like objects and prepositions are necessary.
Well I am just using snapshots for now until someone comes along who knows how to get them, on a side note does anyone know where I could get a mod to call for an adoption instead of my sims randomly getting a call? Or a modded item to instantly kill a sim?

Adoption: Get a buyable baby - http://www.thesimsresource.com/down.../buyable%20baby or http://www.woobsha.com/babies.html I googled this, you could have easily done the same.

As for killing Sims, Sims Wardrobe has a gun. I used to have a weed that if left in the yard, Sims would eat it and die. There was also a coffee urn. I think they may have been available at The Sims Resource, but I don't remember. I always found it easy enough to trap unwanted Sims in a pool or a room without doors. My playable Sims would light a fire, which I would turn to be inside the room. Of course, the room would have lots of burnable items by the fireplace like rugs or chairs....

Here are a few things at TSR: http://www.thesimsresource.com/down...ng/search/kill/

Here's the weed, under "Poisoned Objects", along with some other poisonous objects: http://gothicsims.oph3lia.com/ophelia_sims_objects.html Do a "control + F" to open a search window and type in "poison" to get to that section quickly.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 2:19 AM
[QUOTE=VerDeTerre]Adoption: Get a buyable baby - http://www.thesimsresource.com/down.../buyable%20baby or http://www.woobsha.com/babies.html I googled this, you could have easily done the same.[QUOTE]

um excuse you, I spent about 2 hours going through google looking for an adoption hack and didn't find this everything I found was for the sims 2 and 3, there is no need to be rude

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 8:14 AM
You could use the in-game photo tool to take a Sims's picture and find the picture in the UserData folder (UserData for neighborhood 1) under PhotoAlbum. You can then make a family tree in Word or something.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 9:35 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 1st Jul 2013 at 10:19 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by whrm3
You could use the in-game photo tool to take a Sims's picture and find the picture in the UserData folder (UserData for neighborhood 1) under PhotoAlbum. You can then make a family tree in Word or something.
*Ahem* I said the same thing a few posts earlier.

Quote:
um excuse you, I spent about 2 hours going through google looking for an adoption hack and didn't find this everything I found was for the sims 2 and 3, there is no need to be rude
I apologize. I found it in two seconds and was amazed that you didn't. Further, you asked for something and a few of us offered suggestions. You barely responded to that and moved onto your next request. It may have only taken me two seconds to find it, but it takes a lot longer to add links. When you search for this stuff, do you put "Sims 1" or "The Sims" in the search field? BTW, you are welcome for the links and the help I provided in your search.

Quote: Originally posted by marka93
If you cant find a mod for this you can always send the sim to use the telescope, sooner or later aliens will take the sim away. This is how I lost my first ever sim in Sims 1.
Any time I play now I never have sims use the telescope for sims I want to keep.
Marka, they come back. Perhaps you exited your game too soon? It takes some time, I've forgotten how long, a day or two, and then the Sims come back exhausted and full of thought bubbles having to do with being abducted. It's hysterical!

Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 1:53 PM
I think all my abducted sims came back after about 8 hours.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 2:17 PM
yes I am aware I can and I in fact am at the moment using the snapshots. I like the little headshots the game makes and would rather use them but I "moved on to my next request" because no one had come along that knew how to do it so I'll just use the screenshots. Yes I put sims 1 instead of just the sims thank you for the links they were exactly what I needed I really do appreciate it but I tend not to thank someone who is hateful to me would you like me to kiss your feet now.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 2:47 PM
So unnecessary. Frankly, I would have thanked everyone who tried to help.

I was talking about using actual thumbnails, not snapshots. You could use the thumbnails and post them to a word document as whrm3 suggested. You can find the thumbnails under c:/programs/maxis/UserData/Web Pages. Put in the UserData that corresponds to the neighborhood you are playing with. Neighborhood 1 is simply "UserData", after that it's "UserData2", and 3, etc... Under Web Pages, look for your family. Thumbnails of the Sims in your family should be in that folder.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I think all my abducted sims came back after about 8 hours.

Peni am I correct in assuming that an abducted sim will not come back impregnated after being abducted?

Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 6:09 PM
Peni am I correct in assuming that an abducted sim will not come back impregnated after being abducted?
Even though I'm not Peni, I know the answer to this: You are correct. No one gets pregnant in The Sims (as in The Original). Babies don't appear either after return from an abduction. Again, the only thing that happens is that the Sim loses some time and comes back drained. Abduction has caused my Sims to miss their carpools before, but that was the extent of the damage.