Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 1:04 AM
Default No-fade column from Outdoor Retreat?
So I'm trying to make the Alpine Column from Outdoor Retreat stop fading, according to the method mentioned in plasticbox's post for the base game no-fade columns. pbox said those were made by setting the FadeType and CustomFadeDistance in the MODL (first one listed only) to 0. When I looked at the MODL, I noticed that those were apparently already at 0; then I checked the base-game ones and saw that those said 0 as well. So I figured I'd just re-enter the zeros and save the values and see what happened, and the Alpine Column did stop fading in game—but something strange is happening with the texture now. The Alpine Column now always has the grey color you see in the picture—no matter which swatch is chosen.

I tried starting over again in case I messed something up, but got the same result; I'm very sure I didn't change anything except the FadeType and CustomFadeDistance. I also tried setting those to zero for not only the first MODL listed but every one. Then I tried changing either the FadeType or CustomFadeDistance, one at a time. In every case I got the same result. I actually took out pbox's no fade base game columns and tried making it myself for those, to be sure I was doing the same thing. And those worked just fine. So perhaps there's something different about the Outdoor Retreat column? I'm not knowledgeable enough to figure out what, but can anyone point me in the right direction?
Screenshots

My Simblr is FakeHouses|RealAwesome
Check out my Sim re-creations of 1920s kit homes:
The Shadow Lawn ||| The Plaza ||| The Trenton
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 8:54 AM
Sounds like these are indeed working differently o.O I can’t take a look myself since I don’t have Outdoor Retreat, but it might help to systematically compare the new columns to base game ones (or the ones that you now got to fade to the ones that don’t) – the best method I know of is to copy and paste the s4pe preview into Notepad++ or some other text editor, and then using the diff/compare feature of that. (I think for Notepad++, “Compare” is a plugin, not sure what kind of built-in comparison tool it has). Maybe that would help you to see where the problem lies.

Also, are you using Shimrods no-fading mod? When it comes to base game stuff it works for everything *but* columns (and ceiling lamps believe), but maybe this is different with Outdoor Retreat content?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 9:56 AM
Doubleposting to tag: maybe @Shimrod101 would know more about what does and does not fade via XML tuning (and why/how)?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 4:31 PM
Nope, not using Shimrod's no-fading mod. Forgot to add that another thing I did was take out everything else from my Mods folder and test the column in-game: same as before, it did stop fading but only showed up as grey.

I looked at the first MODL listed for the Alpine Column side-by-side with a base-game one (Design Calabria) as you suggested. It's a bit confusing, as they don't match up as well as two base game ones do. It often seems like they have the same info, but just...shuffled around for the Alpine Column? Some differences:

1) version and flag numbers
2) Design Calabria has three entries under CountedTGIBlockList: Resources right at the top: with groups 0x00000000, 0x00010000, and 0x00010001 (as does at least one other base game column, so I'm assuming they all do?). Alpine has one entry here, with group 0x00010000
3) the LODEntryList section in Design Calabria has a few lines associated with entries labeled (MediumDetail) and (MediumDetailShadow) that Alpine doesn't seem to have
4) things start to look quite different around ChunkEntries[02]. Again, at least some of this looks like it's the same info as in Design Calabria, just shuffled around, but Alpine has a couple ShaderDataList sections with quite a few more entries than Design Calabria has in its corresponding section.

I don't understand most of what I'm looking at though I attached a folder with the two text files if anyone else would like to compare them side by side.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  columns.zip (5.7 KB, 19 downloads) - View custom content

Mad Poster
#5 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 10:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Doubleposting to tag: maybe @Shimrod101 would know more about what does and does not fade via XML tuning (and why/how)?

I don't see any XML Fade Tuning in the OR files, there also isn't any RendererSSAO tuning or RendererLighting tuning etc. I think it's using all these files from the base game.

Can the MLOD files have any effect on this? If this were your base game columns, it's MODL only which has fade settings?

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 6:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
Can the MLOD files have any effect on this? If this were your base game columns, it's MODL only which has fade settings?

I don't see anything in the Alpine Column's MLOD about fading or the things you mentioned. (but by the way, the OR column only has one MLOD file, as far as I can tell. Base game ones have three)

But for the base game, yes, it's just CustomFadeDistance in MODL that stops the fading. (not sure if you saw when I mentioned this above: the CustomFadeDistance actually does appear to be 0, both for base game columns and the OR one, but just re-entering the value and saving it stops the fading properly for the base game ones. Doing that for the OR column does stop it fading, but does something wonky to the texture as well, making it always appear grey no matter which swatch is chosen. Dunno if that's useful info)