Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2008 at 1:33 AM
Default Longears' longears & other drawings
I decided last week that I needed to spoil myself. I finished my veterinary degree in December, and my board registration came through last week. I've also got to have surgery tomorrow, so I'm going to be very restricted over the next few weeks and need something to do while I'm recovering.

These are my attempts so far. It's years since I've drawn or painted seriously, but I'm pleased with the results.

And an initial sketch of one of our mules- haven't done anything about detail or colour as yet.

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2008 at 1:38 AM
Those are really good!
Scholar
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2008 at 1:40 AM
I like them!
I wish I could draw that amazingly!

The First Time I saw him....I knew he was the one.
Currently:A Model.
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2008 at 10:39 AM
Those are amazing, Longears! *lol@username*
They look so realistic!
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 1:17 PM
Hey, thanks guys Haven't done too much lately thanks to being ill (still haven't manged my surgery - it's been cancelled twice now ) but this is how the mule has progressed so far (still got a bit of work to do on her):

Plus a kind of stylised, photoshop-y B&W version:

Please call me Laura
My Site
Inventor
#6 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 7:13 PM
Oooh, very nice! You might add some more layers of color on there, for some darker shadows and whatnot.
And can they really stand on those little legs? That's kind of amazing! About the mules, that is.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 7:01 AM
Thanks annachibi As I said, still a bit of work to do on her.

Some of it is the angle she was standing on when I did my initial sketch, but she does have pretty skinny little legs But boy can she move on them- don't know if you've ever watched quarter horses doing things like cutting or campdrafting, but I reckon this little girl could out-manoeuver any of them!

Please call me Laura
My Site
#8 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 12:29 AM
Those are really nice! I can tell you put quality work into them
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 12:45 AM
Dang, those are good! I love how you managed to capture their attitude and mischievous spirit.
Scholar
#10 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 7:30 AM
Those are really nice, especially the pencil drawings! They have that "I actually know where all the muscles in these animals should be" look As mentioned, the color ones could use some more layers of shadows/highlights. What media are you using for color?
#11 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 2:01 PM
Laura, your pictures are really cute! I'm sure a lot of people would like them. Have you ever considered selling them?
#12 Old 5th Apr 2008 at 10:29 AM
Omg! I think I love donkeys now You are very talented
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 8th Apr 2008 at 10:36 AM
Uber cute.

I've always been scared witless of mules, however. Was bitten by one at a young age, so I suppose that's probably why.

I agree, the technical talent of the drawing is great, and those are great bases for paintings. I go to art school, but for an advertising degree, so I really can't draw that well. I'm always dumbfounded by people who can (read: my amazing illustration major friend and my film major roommate).

Beautimous for the beginning processes. Can't wait to see how they turn out in later stages.
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Apr 2008 at 10:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone

robokitty - They are all digital (based on primary sketches), using Painter Essentials 3. I'm far more used to drawing/painting with 'real things' - haven't quite worked out how to translate some of my methods to tablet pen as yet. I'm still not happy with the mule - it's very hard to capture her properly even with a camera! (She's a brumby, still a bit wild and with more spirit than any animal I've ever met).

The foal (second pic) was a difficult one too, as he's not really based on anyone in particular. I find highlights, shadows etc., very hard to do when I'm pulling something purely out of my head.

Allison - The donkey shelter I worked with regularly until my accident uses some of my work from time to time. The first pic is now on their greeting cards and selling well

Please call me Laura
My Site
Inventor
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 5:10 AM
Kookaburra (very quick job):

Please call me Laura
My Site
Test Subject
#16 Old 5th May 2008 at 6:38 PM
wow, those are really good
Inventor
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Jul 2008 at 12:44 PM
I decided that I wasn't at all happy with my earlier attempt at a self portrait, so here is another... done using my tablet and Painter Essentials.

I'm very happy with it, I think. Though I find it almost impossible to get shading and shadows happening in a way I like when using the tablet - one tiny change to the angle of the laptop screen and you're looking at something completely different! Not to mention how different it can look on different computer screens. I'm also still very much at the learning stage when it comes to using the tablet properly :D

Anyway, here 'tis:

Please call me Laura
My Site
Inventor
Original Poster
#18 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 10:35 AM
And just a very quick one...my dog Eydis. I think I'm starting to find a style that I like now, and getting more used to using blenders, etc., with the tablet pen... I'm self-taught, and more used to drawing with soft pencil and using my fingers to blend. Any feedback/suggestions/criticisms would be much appreciated

Please call me Laura
My Site
#19 Old 26th Jul 2008 at 7:35 AM
no criticisms, only praise all of them look marvelous, my favourite is the Kookaburra.
#20 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 1:11 AM
WOW ur amazing!!!
Inventor
Original Poster
#21 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 2:04 PM
Thanks nixie & kailay :D

Another very quick one. I've tried to do this one in a watercolour kind of style. Not sure whether I'm happy with it or not, but there you go. My pussycat, Epping:

Please call me Laura
My Site
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 2:53 PM
Awww I love his/her furry ears and how s/he is snuggled into the fluffy pillows
Inventor
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Aug 2008 at 1:45 AM
The mule again. I've given up on colour with her...I need a lot more practice with shading/blending colour layers! Not 100% happy with her legs & hooves - I drew from a photo, and she was standing very strangely when I took it.

Please call me Laura
My Site