Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 1:38 AM
Default Using useshaders true, normal map question
I might not be in the proper forum.

After reading about it, I decided to give it a try, and add "useshaders true" to my userStartup.cheat. I already had bump mapping true..but did nothing.
While i can see it now, it renders my own creation horrible.
I fell on this :
"If the screen goes black or your graphics become corrupted when you use it, it means you cannot use shaders and you should turn it off again by bringing up the console again and type: boolProp useShaders false"

Could it be that my computer can't use shaders & bump anymore..? (It used to be fine..maybe I am killing my graphics)
I attached pictures, of course.
First one..just so you know it IS enabled..
Second, shows you how my recently created stuff looks like with useshaders true..See how the normal seem to be affected? The naked top boy is just a..recolor, only that!
Third one shows how my older (a year or 2 ago..) creations looks like, with the same settings. You can see writings on it..wtf...

Fourth one, well..this is any of the Maxis items, nothing seems to affect those. I can enable bumpmaps for maxis.
It only affect MY own creations..something strange no?

The fifth and sixth one, shows you what it looks like when i do not enable bump mapping...the way i always play, finally!

Is there a way to fix this, you think? Having it enable AND enjoy good looking outfits?

Thank you.
Screenshots

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 2:00 AM Last edited by Rosebine : 13th Nov 2014 at 3:49 AM.
Oh my..put that on hold, I have to check something..about the ones that have writings on them?
I just checked in the .package..they have NO normal map...sheesh!
I'll redo them, this time leaving the normal map IN the .package, and edit it.
Now I remember..My old creations do not have normal maps, because of what it looked like, in the second picture I posted...so i had removed them.

I'll come back after I am done re adding normal mappppz.

Okay, so it is what i was thinking..adding the normals back in (aka: making a new .package) does get rid of the ugly writings.
But it still looks as bad, and does the same thing, as in pic 2 I posted.

So..if anyone knows about how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate!
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 7:30 PM
I had the same issue with one of my outfits. I was referencing the in-game bumpmap texture. CatOfEvilGenius fixed it by adding a custom bumpmap resource to the file. You can read all about it here. There's also a link in that thread to someone else who was having the same problem, so maybe you'll find some answers.

I generally don't bother with bumpmaps anymore. My old computer didn't display them; I never really liked the way they looked anyway. Since Maxis doesn't use them beyond the base game, I've gotten away from using them altogether; if the original recolour has one I just remove the bumpmap and disable it so I don't end up with problems like this!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 10:48 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 13th Nov 2014 at 11:16 PM.
Well, thank you.
Yes..i do disable it, remove it..but if anyone else has their game with useshaders set to true, this is what my creations will look like in their game, and this is bad.
I am not an uploader...and generally, keep my stuff to myself. But I am a perfectionist though.

Thank you again, for the link. I'll go read this.

Oh...But catOfEvil does not say how..they did. I downloaded the file, maybe I can figure out.