Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 2:05 PM Last edited by ashillion : 13th Feb 2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Solved
Default DDS Files sizes: The file format for CAW is DTX5 ARGB.
EDIT: The heading and last post in this thread contains the solution.

Ok i posted this before, found a forum where it was said that it was no big deal and could not be changed as compression makes the texture not so good...

i problem now is this...
if i extract a texture from a terrain brush. it comes out in it's undisclosed format from S3PE around 1,300 kb and if i open that file and save it again..... it goes to 5,500 kb.

whats up with that?

no changes where made just re-saved it with it's new name. The same thing happens with all my custom terrains... each file is over 5,000 kb. There is something wrong with this...

if i go with png its 496 kb and tgs (the format it seems EA used to make their world textures)each is about 4,000 kb.

png looks good but something is wrong here...
in the CAW source textures they are all almost 1,366...
whats the compression that was used on the default CAW textures...?

can the dds be saved without the MIP generation? or with altered settings are still work right for sims 3?

it seems we are supposed to use dds... but 5,000+ kb each it not right.... my textures folder of just my custom textures is well well over a gig at this point.

help?

NOTE: TGA format::

I have found that my textures look the same from far away when in the large file format and do not look the same (fuzzy and pale) when in the next 'chunk' if saved in the tga format. the size is about half but does not look as rich or seamless....

NOTE NOTE: DDS Production Compression::

compression of the dds for production creates a image 2,660 kb in size, that is basically unusable...

INFO:

my DDS files are saved as 8.8.8.8 ARGB 32 Bpp | unsigned

I have also indexed colors to 56 exact or even 32 exact and the end size of the dds is still 5,000-ish.... there is something here i'm missing....

if i open a source texture from CAW and re save it it jumps in size from 1,330 kb to 2,660 kb if overwritten or saved as new.

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 3:17 PM
ashillion please do not double space every line and place on separate lines, try to make coherent sentences as this kind of typing makes it difficult to read.

I can't help with CAW textures since I don't have it installed, but in general images exported from s3oc/s3pe are dds files and not undisclosed. My dds files are usually less than 500k but that is just specular/map ones so that makes sense, and my sizes don't generally get that large just by saving them.

You might want to look at Tutorials:TS3_Pattern_Tutorialswiki section on proper dds save settings.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 3:36 PM Last edited by ashillion : 13th Feb 2010 at 3:48 PM.
Thanks for the reply HP, I am sorry for the typing style i tend to use. I have a bad habit of making run on sentences and writing and writing. Its a habit i was taught in collage to keep my thoughts clear.

I've read the tutorials.... I thought. I can only find your tutorial that tells me...

" A DDS file is a type of raster image, commonly used by many games, including both Sims 2 and Sims 3. DDS files usually contain one large image plus many smaller versions of the same image. These smaller versions are called "mipmaps" and are used when zoomed out in-game, for better performance. DDS files can be saved in a variety of formats, both compressed and uncompressed. Compressed versions can be smaller in file size, but are often lower in quality. You will need to save your images in DDS format for importing into Delphy's Pattern Packager. DDS plugins are available for most Windows graphics programs. Mac users will have to use a separate conversion program such as SquishDDS or Graphic Converter. "

and

" Saving Your DDS File

Blah "

and the information that i am to save in DDS 8.8.8.8 format, and compressed files are "bad um' kay" as they look less rich and shiny. There is a list of compression for mesh and skin parts but no answers to my terrain questions there...

Unless i missed it.

if i did can i have a direct link? or the tiltle of the page you said has instructions for DDS files and the Sims 3?

Logic tells me there is a format, or a profile, or a compression, is being used on these EA terrain files as they are all the same size almost.
Screenshots

Guess I'll start here...
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 3:51 PM
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=345731

Try that one, it is geared towards pattern making with PSP. I don't make patterns and have never tried, but that one has a pic showing proper save format.

I said "Undisclosed" since in your OP you said "it comes out in it's undisclosed format from s3pe", but it is not undisclosed it is a dds format.

Hopefully someone who has made terrains can help, I can't image that the dds files for terrains are any different than anything else.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 4:24 PM
I see what your saying...

But still at a stand still... If i make the file smaller at all it becomes ugly in game.

As for the files exported... they are 'in dds format' but are not amended with the .dds. My mistake. Thank you for trying to help. I have allot of projects and each seems to get stalled out. Between DDS file sizes and FOOTPRINTS grrrrr.... I'm loosing my momentum. I am frustrated but determined to make CC.

In the link you gave they talk about profiles a bit, but seems more to do with PSP's inability to correctly use the DDS plugin. I am using photoshop. I wonder if it has to do with my graphics card as the plug-in uses the video card to process.

Guess I'll start here...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 4:25 PM
There is a difference between using the compression in the modding tool, and making the image smaller in your image editor. Don't be confused because S3PE uncompresses it so yuo can view and edit it. Compress it again before saving, and see what your final file size is.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 4:56 PM
@ Inge Thanks for the pointer

when placed into a package and compressed inside. it drops the overall size.

But it still seems to me that there is no difference between my new terrains and the old ones. Say for example:

If I extract simmillers terrain paint "Simmiller_TerrainWetandDryMud" 's dds from the package it is still smaller (1.33 meg) until opened and saved again with photoshop (5.66 meg).

then if i replace the dds in the package with the new bigger copy it is still big.

orig. package is 768 kb and the new one is 3.36 megs. and yes both dds files are 'compressed' in the package. it's the same image just re-saved, yet the size is way way different..

these files are clearly being saved with more maps or data of some kind than is needed.

Guess I'll start here...
#8 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 4:56 PM
Did you remember to open it in your editor without mipmaps, but save it *with*? And do you know the correct number of mipmaps to save? That might add to size if you choose too many.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 5:05 PM
OMG that's it i think...

It may very well be adding maps each time...

how many is the correct number?

and i see no way of opening it without the maps....

just file open...

no import option in photoshop that i can find...

Guess I'll start here...
#10 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 5:16 PM
I am not an expert in texturing there is probably someone better to advise you on correct mipmap levsl.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 5:30 PM
It seems you have lead me at least out of the dark...

Thank you. It is indeed storing more and more maps in the file and as my basic image is 1024x1024 like almost all other terrain files... the maps it is making are HUGE. I too hope someone has advice on this. I have a ton of great seamless textures they are just not formatted right.

My Create A Road project has been on hold for a while due to this issue as well.

Guess I'll start here...
Forum Resident
#12 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ashillion
I see what your saying...
I have allot of projects and each seems to get stalled out. Between DDS file sizes and FOOTPRINTS grrrrr.... I'm loosing my momentum. I am frustrated but determined to make CC.
May I suggest that you talk to Regina at BogSims. She has done a road set that looks great.
http://www.bogsims.com/sims3/regina...e-a-world01.htm
Maybe Martine could help. She has done bunches of texutes for CAW. I hope this helps. :lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 9:22 PM
I found some info on mipmaps in regards to the sims 2...
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=86151

but even if i set my map level to 11 for 1024x1024 the file size is the same as before 5,660 kb.

guess i need to PM some people. ask directly how they got smaller files...

Guess I'll start here...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 10:38 PM
Sweet baby jesus....

sooooooo... the correct format of the dds file for a CAW terrain is to not be saved as a

8.8.8.8 ARGB 32 unsigned as previously advised to...

it is

DXT5 ARGB 8

the file size of my terrain is now the same as the EA source textures 1,330kb, is still 1024x1024 and still rocks my eyeballs in CAW.

amen and thank you to everyone who helped me stay on task and solve my problem.

funny how it just takes a couple people to suggest some things to make you head right for the answers you seek!

and bless MTS. The best community around i swear.

Guess I'll start here...