Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2017 at 3:40 AM
Default Safety of Removing Objects Files Without Removal From Game?
How safe is it to remove an object file (not mod) from the game files without removing it first from the game?

Especially with CAW where no placeholder items are put in place of a missing object- does doing so leave behind leftover bits of data?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 2:14 AM
No one knows?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 5:28 AM
I think some of us, well at least me, may not totally understand the question. If you are talking about removing a CC chair for example, there is no need to find all the places you have used it and remove it in the game before uninstalling that chair. The game either replaces things or there is an empty spot. I would not worry about data problems.

I think your use of object files and game files is throwing some of us off? If you are talking CC and the game itself that is one thing. If you are talking about going into the actual program files, delta builds, etc. and modifying your game that is a whole different ball game.

Maybe you can clarify more what you are trying to do?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 2:07 PM
Yes, that's what I understood, removing an object from the program files, like permanently removing the Sloppy Jalopy car from the base game. And this is probably something that nobody can answer for sure.

But if it's about removing a custom content or Store object from the Packages folder or the DCCache files, particularly in custom worlds, I have one example of where this went wrong. It was a custom world that seems to have used custom cars as deco on most lots, placed with moveobjects on the lawn (i.e. no parking space objects ised), and the HELS fish tanks on quite a lot of them, too. The creator had mentioned neither, so I didn't know that I needed them. The tanks were, I think, replaced with some weird object, but the cars were the real issue. I was surprised that all lots were so incredibly expensive in Edit Town despite being unfurnished) and that I couldn't place objects on the lawn. It was only after looking at the Object Stats of these lots with MasterController that I learned that there were a lot of the most expensive cars (Vaguester) referenced but they were all invisible, and so sort of there but not really there.

(Come to think of it, having that many fish tanks on lots is a bit weird, too, so maybe the fish tanks were already a replacement for something completely different, too)

Another issue that cannot be solved is when you use custom patterns; they will not be properly replaced. A replacement wallpaper might show a colour and a pattern but when you go into CASt they will show completely different channel values and sometimes textures.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 10:49 PM
Yep, the question is what happens if this occurs in this scenario:

1.) In CAW/TS3, you have some modded objects installed in the Packages folder (none elsewhere, no changes to game files).
2.) You remove the object files from the mod folder- BUT- the objects aren't removed from inside the game itself (you didn't delete it from a lot).
3.) When you open up CAW/TS3, the objects are missing.
3.) However, is there any leftover data remaining in the worldfile/savegames?

Would it be better to go in-game and delete all the objects beforehand, or is it safe to directly remove the file from the mods folder?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 11:14 PM
I cannot answer this, but good question about the data. I am doing a world now and used some custom sailboats. I decided I do not want any CC in the world when it goes on the exchange. I started working on the latest versions of the world in a clean game, so the boats are now gone from the world. I did not delete them before doing this. They are/were in the water and not on lots, so I do not know if that makes any difference or not? It did not occur to me that as they were there in the past it might cause a problem? If something easy to remove as there are just a few, maybe go ahead and delete them in game. If a major project maybe just test your world a bit and if no problems leave it as is?

Actually, switching to the clean game nuked all the rabbithole rugs I used also. So far in testing I have not found any problems because they were there once.