Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#15651 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 9:21 AM
New chapter: 5.12 Grumpy

Neda's doing her thing, and an ageup.
Advertisement
Scholar
#15652 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 10:34 AM
joining the update train withChapter 3.2
Field Researcher
#15653 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 12:31 AM Last edited by Frogsnack : 31st Jan 2018 at 3:41 PM.
Right! Well I should be able to put out another update shortly, (and finish commenting as I totally cheated and read all the updates without commenting right away this week) but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on my project X (or Project P I guess for 'Painting').

Someone made a file with 'every' painting in the game a few years ago on a Sims3 site forum, and I nabbed it. It was a home lot 30 x 30 I think, where you could add the lot to your town and send your active family over there to steal all the paintings they'd like for their house. It was a cool idea. However as I usually destroy my save files by planting perfect gardens and aging 200 bottles of nectar in the basement until it crashes from all the visits to France, and not by making a painting collection, so I had NO IDEA that there are so many versions of each painting, dependent on sim traits. I knew that it affected it, but I never thought to 'quest' for the paintings.

TL:DR? I plan on uploading a 40 x 40 lot (has to be residential to share this way) of as many versions of each painting as I can make until the lot is full, then we can all enjoy them without our save files becoming unplayable (and use them to better stage etc). Some will have many versions, but I'll be happy if I can get at least two of each in there.

Also I hope this post is okay here, it seems like the sort of thing that could be really helpful in keeping smaller save files for this challenge, and not just the storytelling aspect. Pics of the projects are below. Please let me know if this would be okay to share here once complete. I'll probably use Simfileshare.net (thanks @ConvictedDreamer for helping me figure that out!)
Screenshots

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Scholar
Original Poster
#15654 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 1:12 AM
Hmmm... can you elaborate on #3 there? Painting is a pretty common thing that happens in my legacies, I didn't know it could be detrimental?
Field Researcher
#15655 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 2:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NutsAndDolts
Hmmm... can you elaborate on #3 there? Painting is a pretty common thing that happens in my legacies, I didn't know it could be detrimental?

Actually I think it may just be the portraits and still-lifes? I looked everything up last week and didn't remember that the game treats them separately. (http://nraas.wikispaces.com/How+to+...+your+save-game )

Anything unique to your sims, so maybe that means that the game has no need to make extra copies of the trait-variant paintings?

When I started this I was having everyone paint, but also there were a lot of unique photographs, so I'm not sure what specifcally was bogging down my save as I'm not overly familiar with having a lot of painting in my games, I guess I assumed it was both. I don't know where the paintings in a save are located, or I could look them up in S3PE?

Scholar
Original Poster
#15656 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 2:54 AM
That link was helpful, thank you! No wonder I usually don't travel. x.x
Lab Assistant
#15657 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 3:17 PM
Since the internet was nice enough to work today, here's another update: 5.13 It's alive

A surprise visit makes Neda and her family show themselves from their best side.
Field Researcher
#15658 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 4:53 AM
It's amazing how many of these paintings I haven't even seen before. *_*
Scholar
Original Poster
#15659 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 7:21 PM
Field Researcher
#15660 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 2:40 AM Last edited by Frogsnack : 31st Jan 2018 at 3:34 PM.
Alright people!

Merry Christmas (or what have you)! Please let me know if you have any concerns about using sim file share (you'll have to sign up but it's free and easy to do). I can also email the file to you directly if you don't want to use the link, or something?

http://simfileshare.net/download/436649/

This is a 40x40 lot of paintings, as promised. I also (somewhat as a test) added about 10 unique paintings that I have my sims run all over Aurora Skies to take as still-lifes. If you're able to view them please let me know, because that means I could make a lot in the future (though not for a while) with paintings from unique places, like the pyramids, the Eiffel tower, or even just good 'ol sunset valley on it, and then your sims may not have to travel so much for souvenirs. I tested the unique paintings in a new save in a new world with this copy of the lot, and I was able to send a sim over to get them, they displayed fine for me. Only issue I have is that the game saves the lot as a .sims3pack and I'm not sure how to convert that to a package to see if those only have one version or if copies are made (then again, said copies should stick with save files and not lots, right?). But it would be great if there was a series of paintings from each world that could be used for staging etc.

However! No worries if you don't need this. I get that there's something special about having your sims paint their own things, but I for one wanted to limit how much wall art I download for the staging of this challenge (and I can't make every sim a perfect painter like I'd want to)! :P

Test Subject
#15661 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 2:38 PM
uh, all this painting talk is fascinating(I had no idea traits played a role in it) but. May I politely ask what this actually has to do with the challenge? Did I miss something??
Field Researcher
#15662 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 3:33 PM Last edited by Frogsnack : 31st Jan 2018 at 4:06 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by FirelightKnight
uh, all this painting talk is fascinating(I had no idea traits played a role in it) but. May I politely ask what this actually has to do with the challenge? Did I miss something??

Basically, in taking pictures, painting and by travelling only a few times, my save game started seriously glitching out before gen 2 could even take over. Between that, and all the deco items I've downloaded to stage for the story etc (most of which I've already combined in package version to control load times) I was looking at gen 2 being unplayable in a 10 generation challenge. So I started this project so I could utilize what's already in the game for deco and have one less thing to worry about. Because the intent is to remove something that can bog down save files for this challenge, I wanted to share it.

Posts were way too long, but I'm not sure how the spoiler tag is used? (edit: Nevermind, I figured it out >_>; It's all tagged now so the thread isn't obnoxious if you view from a phone)

Scholar
Original Poster
#15663 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 4:53 PM Last edited by NutsAndDolts : 31st Jan 2018 at 10:58 PM.
Anything that helps keep our saves from exploding is very much welcome. Though with my legacies I usually prefer the nostalgia of knowing which family member painted what, I may still download the lot. I spy some paintings I've never seen before. =O Thank you for your work, Frogsnack!

Edit: Goldbeard RLC Chapter 124: Four to Go is posted.
Lab Assistant
#15664 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 12:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NutsAndDolts
Anything that helps keep our saves from exploding is very much welcome. Though with my legacies I usually prefer the nostalgia of knowing which family member painted what, I may still download the lot. I spy some paintings I've never seen before. =O Thank you for your work, Frogsnack!

Edit: Goldbeard RLC Chapter 124: Four to Go is posted.

I have quite a bit to catch up on...
Field Researcher
#15666 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 7:32 PM
O_O Wow, that's a lot of paintings. And there's definitely a couple there that I've never seen before. I've never known paintings could cause the game to implode - I thought it was just photos, travelling and memories. Those are the only things the 'savefile cleaning' trick cleans up. I know having a lot of written books in the game makes the file clog up, so I suppose it makes sense about the paintings. But I really like the story-telling potential of those.

-_- Seems like I just can't stay caught up with the legacies I'm trying to follow. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend... XD

Call me Ann, or ConDre/condre.

_~...~_
Space Pony
#15667 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 4:42 PM
1.8 - Happy Ending

Last chapter of generation one.

My Sims 4 Random Legacy can be found here.
My simblr .
Scholar
#15668 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 11:12 AM
I have another update, Chapter 3.3
Scholar
Original Poster
#15669 Old 5th Feb 2018 at 5:10 PM
Goldbeard RLC Chapter 125: New Territory is posted.

No offense to Starlight Shores, but I'm happy to have the legacy family back in Monte Vista.
Lab Assistant
#15670 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 11:09 AM
Hi guys, I'm back home and excited to catch up on your legacies! So many chapters I need to read and comment on :O The past few days I've been playing quite a bit (finally messing around with ITF!), but I hope to get an update posted soon.
Field Researcher
#15671 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 8:36 PM
An update! What has Tula gotten herself into?

2.44 The Club
Test Subject
#15672 Old 8th Feb 2018 at 11:43 PM
After being too busy with my work, I managed to put a chapter up. It's pretty short, but at least it's something

1.4 Wild Thought

Now to read some blogs.
Field Researcher
Lab Assistant
#15674 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 9:45 AM
Some questions came up as I was rolling for future generations. Regarding the Idle Career generation goal, would it apply only to the heir or to spouse(s) as well? (This roll is a second chance family structure.) I'm wondering about the spouses in particular, because they're both non-standard careers.

As an Equestrian the sim would only be allowed to gain two skill points in riding per week, no confusion there. The issue are the horses themselves: If a horse doesn't gallop around or practice jumping on a daily basis, their exercise need tanks pretty quickly. However, those activities make them gain racing and jumping skill, and it's likely that this might amount to more than 2 skill points per week. So the question is, should the skill gain cap apply to the horses as well? If so, do you guys know of another way to fill a horse's exercise need without gaining skill points?

The other career that has me stumped is the Day Care profession. What would an idle career look like? Ignoring the children as much as possible? That just seems cruel :/

And another question vaguely related to day care - do you guys know of any mods that make the store playpen less cheaty? The one that used to be on MTS is gone.
Field Researcher
#15675 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 11:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by melynx
Some questions came up as I was rolling for future generations.

I haven't played with horses for a while, but if I recall they don't gain skill points too rapidly on their own, it may only be one or two a week when they 'gallop around', so I'd say have your jockey only learn at the ranch (I forget the name of that place), and have them bond with the horse through means that isn't riding? Or possibly don't even get them a horse/ let it be the neighbor's horse etc.

Day care I'd say have the worker watch tv most of the day, and just tend the kids when they cry (and maybe, bottles over high chair & blender, that sort of thing). That seems lazy enough. I've never played that or Idle Careers though.

About the playpen, the store object specifically says 'if the babysitter/ parents are lazy the kids can teach themselves', but here are some useless ones from TSR , and some useful ones from ATS3 .

Page 627 of 676