Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 17th Feb 2013 at 9:39 PM
I've never had a basement irl either, but I like to build them for wine cellars, secret dungeons and torture rooms...and baby rooms for my asshole Sims. Thanks to a few tips from Mingham I can be a true asshole parent and leave them entirely to their own devices now!
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#77 Old 17th Feb 2013 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
Loving the new avatar, Spiritbw!

Thanks. Figured I needed a good Sim one for a Sim forum and now i have all these pictures....

Quote:
Also I think I hate myself. I didn't do any actual playing last night, just building. I am not a good builder. I am probably average at best. My houses turn into blocky boring looking horrors, because I either a) lack imagination and a know-how on making houses look realistic and/or b) get fucking bored.

"I know!" I think to myself, "I'll make a Scumthorpe mansion myself! From scratch! No editing bullshit. On a 64x64 lot!"

So far I have the garage, the layout of the house, kitchen, dining area, indoor swimming pool, small lake, tiny garden (I'm not a fan of huge gardens that take literally all day to tend to) and an outdoor play area for the twins.

Just the garage with cars and the fence around the lot alone cost over 500k.
Fuck.

What a coincidence. I haven't gotten to the car part but I have been working on a Scumthorpe mansion myself in perperation for the family expanding. Pictures of stately Killjoy Manor to come....when it's finished.

I got to agree with folks about the frustration of getting stairs through a foundation. Specially spiral stairs which I used for access to what will be the labs and crypts. Build foundation, build walls, remove foundation dig basement, put in stairs, relay the foundation around the stairs. Without the walls I found that the foundation when put around spiral stairs will stay a square away from the stairs themselves. After much experimentation and cursing of EA/Maxis programing I managed to get hidden door, staircase and fireplace into a 2'x6' area.

|CC|
|CC|
|LM|M
|SM|M
|FB|B
|FB|B

C=Circular stair
| =Wall
L=Landing
S=Straight stair
F=Foundation
M=Mantle, Fireplace
B=Bookcase secret door
Mad Poster
#78 Old 17th Feb 2013 at 10:11 PM
Uuggghhh spiral staircases piss me the fuck off. I only really use them for basements because if it's going to another storey of the house, say a bunch of Sims going to bed at the same time, mutiple Sims on a spiral staircase just gets on my tits. Tantrums abound. Thanks for the basement foundation tip though!
Field Researcher
#79 Old 17th Feb 2013 at 11:10 PM
There's an instant multi-level transporter pad on this site somewhere. I can't find it just now and I have to go cook dinner for the boychild, but I'll try to find it when I get done with that.

It takes up way less room than stairs, I think 4 squares. And they just transport instanteously. You could put a couple in high traffic areas but since it takes 0 time to ascend/descend, there really probably isn't any need to do so.
Mad Poster
#80 Old 17th Feb 2013 at 11:27 PM
Ooooh yes, that would be kick ass. Certainly would be useful for my mad scientist.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#81 Old 17th Feb 2013 at 11:38 PM
is it this? :http://www.modthesims.info/d/371655

This unlocks the Teleporter Pad Lifetime Award for buy mode. I suppose that could work.
Field Researcher
#82 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 12:51 AM
No, this is an object - and it turns out its not on THIS site, it's on another one.

CyberBob's Beam-Me-Up:

http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1011.0

You'd think with a name like that I'd be able to remember it, but NOOOooOOOoOOoooOOOoo!

The thing about these is that NPC's WILL use them. They're 'spensive though, like S-1100 in-game price.

Of course in the course of hunting for them I've come across about 20 pieces of CC that I MUST HAVE! MUST MUST MUST! LOL!
Mad Poster
#83 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 1:43 AM Last edited by BL00DIEDHELL : 18th Feb 2013 at 2:21 AM. Reason: Quote mode, you are a dick
Kick ass, thank you!

EDIT: I just had a rather peculiar realisation, which I've already shared with (read: inflicted on) Mingham.

Quote: Originally posted by MinghamSmith

I've seen many, many strange scenarios play out in this game. Ghost drivers, men threatening babies with claw gauntlets, aliens probing each other rather than humans, the list goes on. But I still never expected to witness an evil clanking doombot doing a guido fistpump dance while staring longingly at his creator's sister.

Well, at least Alice didn't seem to mind-

-Wait, is she giving flirty looks to a robot?

...I guess that answers that question.

So Alice was giving flirty looks to a Simbot. Who is considered the "son/daughter" of their creator. Which would technically mean the Killbots are Alice's "nephews".

...Welp, that scene just got even weirder.

EDIT EDIT: Oh fuck you quotes for taking out the spoilered pictures. D:<
Field Researcher
#84 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 2:22 AM
NP. And I restrained myself and only downloaded 6 or 8 new pieces of CC. So you're forgiven for setting me on that particular quest, thus exposing me to new CC, LOL!
Mad Poster
#85 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 2:58 AM
Well thank you! :P
Instructor
Original Poster
#86 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 3:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL

EDIT EDIT: Oh fuck you quotes for taking out the spoilered pictures. D:<

Quotes take out the pictures, spoilered or not.

....and my game has developed a glitch again. Can't save as doing so crashes the game. >

Gone through every bloody thing to fix it, it'll work for a while but then I have to basiclly do a new game to get it to continue saving. Gaaaah!!!!!!
Mad Poster
#87 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 4:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MinghamSmith
So feel free to make Scumthorpes related to them that way and then run with it

Please, please do not tempt me LOL
Mad Poster
#88 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Spiritbw
Quotes take out the pictures, spoilered or not.

....and my game has developed a glitch again. Can't save as doing so crashes the game. >

Gone through every bloody thing to fix it, it'll work for a while but then I have to basiclly do a new game to get it to continue saving. Gaaaah!!!!!!

So I see D: I thought spoilers might be a good way to get around it.

Also holy shit, fuck your game. What exactly happens when it glitches out?
Instructor
Original Poster
#89 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 8:25 PM
It's just the same save problem that has been around since The Sims 3 was released. Go to save and the game crashes to desktop. I've tried everything to fix it but it seems after a certain time of play it just goes, "nope, not letting you save anymore!" That's even if I am doing regular saves too. Crash/error logs all suggest it's the issue which should be fixed by using the DEP solution, but I already did that. Running windows 7 64 bit so shouldn't be the trying to use 2GB memory when there is actually 4 issue. Tried taking out CC but still no go. Last week did a complete reinstall (twice). Video drivers just updated....

I'm at a loss.
Mad Poster
#90 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 9:04 PM Last edited by BL00DIEDHELL : 18th Feb 2013 at 9:07 PM. Reason: Potential once in a blue moon brainwave
Aw fuck man, that's shitty. I don't know any suggestions on how to fix it unfortunately (I'm rather computer illiterate). There's a help board somewhere on here, isn't there? (I say somewhere because I tend to forget about it if my game gets a problem so I can't remember whereabouts it is. Hurrr) Hopefully there'd be some people there who'd have a useful idea. >.<

EDIT: Does it happen just when you use the save option, or does it affect the save as option too? If you don't know, maybe it's worth a try? That's about the most help I can be right now I'm afraid.
Scholar
#91 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 9:30 PM
Are you getting error codes with your CTDs? I'm fairly useless too, but I keep getting 'error code 12' and 'error code 16' when saving, but it doesn't crash. Until my 'graphics driver igfx' stops responding, and then 'successfully' restarts...
And isn't there some kind of crash log in your game files? There is in mine, but it will only open in IE, which doesn't work at all on my laptop for some reason, so I can't view it to see what it says.

Maybe my problems come from my laptop...

Call me Gemma or Gem :)
Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much not enough.
The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Field Researcher
#92 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 11:26 PM
I have it but haven't tried it yet.

You can report back to us.

Instructor
Original Poster
#93 Old 19th Feb 2013 at 7:05 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

As to diffrent saves, yes all of them have the same problem. Sadly no there is no error codes, that would make my life so much easier. Not sure about the save sizes myself, I'll have to see if I can find that out. Also, I'll give the save cleaner a try.

EDIT: Game folder for most recent save is 33 Mb.
Mad Poster
#94 Old 19th Feb 2013 at 1:47 PM
Balls. The only other thing I'd do in that situation is instead of saving my game, save the *family* to the library and then reload them when needed. But I can totally understand that being a huge Goddamn pain in the ass for you.

No word on save cleaner yet, needed to download the .NET4.0 Framework and couldn't get the site to load so...Yeah.
Forum Resident
#95 Old 19th Feb 2013 at 1:57 PM
I actually recall having had a similar problem in the past. I never really did figure out what was wrong. I uninstalled and deleted everything that was remotely sims related. Rebooted the comp.

Then installed the game, ect as though it was a new game.

It worked for a while and then replaced the laptop a year after that with a new one. I never knew for certain if it was a bug not connected to the game, laptop age (4yrs old when I replaced it), or simply Ea usual inability to code anything with out screwing something up in the process.
One Minute Ninja'd
#96 Old 19th Feb 2013 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Spiritbw
Thanks for the help guys.

As to diffrent saves, yes all of them have the same problem. Sadly no there is no error codes, that would make my life so much easier. Not sure about the save sizes myself, I'll have to see if I can find that out. Also, I'll give the save cleaner a try.

EDIT: Game folder for most recent save is 33 Mb.

Just a note, 30 MB saves are pretty small, at least in my experience (I've played saves of 200 MB and up with legacies, and pretty full up towns). I doubt your problem relates to the save folder size, so it's unlikely using a "save cleaner" to further reduce the size will make any difference.
Scholar
#97 Old 19th Feb 2013 at 8:21 PM
*ahem* 161.7MB...
I'm only on generation 2 in this town as well!!

Call me Gemma or Gem :)
Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much not enough.
The Only Way Is Up
simblr
Instructor
Original Poster
#98 Old 20th Feb 2013 at 12:26 AM
I feel bat that the last little bit this has turned into a "Fix spiritbw's issue" thread. Specially since nothing seems to be working.

All Custom content and mods are gone, saved the Killjoys to the bin and the new house that was in the works.

Tried with all mods but Errortrap removed: Crashes to Desktop
All mods and CC gone: Crashes to Desktop
Tried a new game with them and the house in it: Crashes to desktop.
Tried new game with just the Killjoys: Crashes to Desktop
Tried a new game with generic sims that come with the game: Crashes to Desktop
Tried every suggest modification to how it runs, DEP settings: Crashes to Desktop

At this point it's looking like some error develops higher in the game. Going to try one last thing, because it would just figure with Digital editions of the game, then I might need to try reinstalling again as that seems to be the only thing that fizes the issue. Though why it does so only for a time before developing agian is beyond me. Thank god my ISP doesn't nail us for going over the limit unless we do so three months running.
Field Researcher
#99 Old 20th Feb 2013 at 12:29 AM
Well if you end up having to reinstall the digital editions again, don't reinstall any mods or scripted objects as you will be getting the latest patches and nobody has had time to update their mods yet.
Instructor
Original Poster
#100 Old 20th Feb 2013 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sojourner
Well if you end up having to reinstall the digital editions again, don't reinstall any mods or scripted objects as you will be getting the latest patches and nobody has had time to update their mods yet.

Yeah, just saw the thing about the update that came out today. Reading throught hat now. I did pull my saved games and backed them up so here is hoping. Meanwhile, the deletion for reinstall has begun. Hopefully I'll be able to continue the epic of the Killjoy-Scumthorpe's soon.
Page 4 of 332