Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 4:57 PM
Default UnRouteable On Lots
I'm experimenting with creating my own world. I was going to put four butterfly pavilions around the science centre, each representing a different geographic area, but they didn't fit. On the third version of the world, I placed them off the lot, but overlapping the corners. I put a staircase down in each corner and tunnels connecting them. The idea was to zenoport in, then you would have access to all four. No zenoporting required. They walked right through the walls. On the forth version, which I have just started playing, I 'painted' the base of the pavilions as unrouteable. Now the sims run around the outside, till they are on the science centre lot, then walk right through the walls. Still. Anybody know how to stop this? If I place the pavilions completely off the lot, the sims would be locked out by the unrouteable walls, but I couldn't join them with tunnels, keeping them all separate. Somehow, I have to be able to 'paint' the areas on the lot as unrouteable.

Gord - the Mad Doctor
One of the Puppy People Lying Naked in the Periwinkle
Hacking the Human Race (ie - recombinating marsupial genes so nudists can have pockets) any other requests?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 10:38 AM
Unfortunately there is no way to "paint" anything unroutable on a lot as you can do on the world layer in CAW. The only thing you can do on a lot is to block access by using walls, fences or objects (e.g. rocks) or, if setup allows, having stuff on a different floor level.
dodgy builder
#3 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 11:42 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 11th Dec 2017 at 12:01 PM.
I'm trrying to wrap my head around this issue. It would be easier with a picture, or a list of clear cut things you would like to achieve.

What I can say though, caw as in building worlds can be rather complicated. Things has been made to have certain functions in game. A lot is something you play on and such work differently than the working of the world. I suggest you watch videos on youtube about people making worlds.

You have to decide if your pavillions and science center should work together, if so put them together on the same lot. If you can handle them being part of a hood as such, put access between several lots instead.

The game has to understand how things work, so you have to make sure you understand it before you use it. It goes like:

1. "I want..."
2. Research different options
3. Decition: what option gives most of what I want?
4. Research: combination of testbuilding and reading to get the most out of you preferred method
5. Design, look and feel
6. Testing

There is a lot of programming going into each feature in the game. You need to pay attention to what EA made the objects for when they made them. Very often objects are only really made to work with basegame. If they include later features or gameplay it's probably going to be buggy. There has been a lot of research in the community about the workings of game features, and being a good googler and general researcher might come in handy. Sometimes you just have to be prepared for a lot of troubleshooting yourself though.

You should probably move your but over here though: http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=616
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 2:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Norn
Unfortunately there is no way to "paint" anything unroutable on a lot as you can do on the world layer in CAW. The only thing you can do on a lot is to block access by using walls, fences or objects (e.g. rocks) or, if setup allows, having stuff on a different floor level.

You've given me a great idea. I can use "moveObjects on" to place a fence within the wall of the Butterfly Pavilion. If I use a minimalist one, hopefully it will not be visible, but still keep sims from walking through the wall.

Gord - the Mad Doctor
Hacking the Human Race (ie - recombinating marsupial genes so nudists can have pockets) any other requests?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 3:55 PM Last edited by MadDoctor : 11th Dec 2017 at 4:13 PM. Reason: forgot pictures
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I'm trrying to wrap my head around this issue. It would be easier with a picture, or a list of clear cut things you would like to achieve.

What I can say though, caw as in building worlds can be rather complicated. Things has been made to have certain functions in game. A lot is something you play on and such work differently than the working of the world. I suggest you watch videos on youtube about people making worlds.

I've watched a number of youtube videos on CAW. The ones I've seen tend to be absolute beginner (ie for the clueless) and don't do anything interesting or they breeze through everything without telling you what they are doing and how they are doing it. I've gotten some interesting ideas and if I play it slowly enough, I can figure out what they are doing. Mostly, it doesn't cover what I am trying to do and answer my non-typical questions.

And why do they all sculpt and paint their worlds before putting in roads and lots etc. I started with a central park, put sidewalks around it followed by a bunch of lots for the standard rabbitholes (city hall, school, hospital) etc. I put a road around that with 4 roads leading out of the town centre to residential areas. Now that I've got the basics in, I can sculpt hills, lakes etc between everything. In my test games, I keep giving the scientist the lifetime wish for a perfect aquarium (a I usually do) but I haven't placed any fish spawners yet

Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
You have to decide if your pavillions and science center should work together, if so put them together on the same lot. If you can handle them being part of a hood as such, put access between several lots instead.

I tried putting them on the same lot but they don't fit. If I use separate lots, I can't join them with the tunnels, though I could use dive wells (I'm thinking of using hidden dive wells to join the islands in the corners of the world). In the picture, the pavilions are overlapping the lot. I've drawn in approximately where the lot boundaries are. It's the largest possible lot (64x64).

I've been doing some research, but mostly, I can't relate to it because I don't have enough experience in CAW or it is old hat because I've already figured out how to do that. I don't have the patience to create a world that I don't want just to follow the tutorial. It takes way too long to create a world. I'd rather make mistakes in my own world, than create somebody else's. I know, it is not the best way to do it, but it works for me. This way I can ask when I get stuck. I spent a couple hours or so searching for an answer to this question. If I spent a few days I might have found one, or maybe not but I just don't want to spend that long on what could be a fruitless search.

Gord - the Mad Doctor
Site Helper
#6 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 4:05 PM
I'm not an expert on CAW, but I think I can tell you why the terrain sculpting always comes first.

If you try to sculpt around lots and roads, you generally damage their edges. Then you need to take them out and replace them.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
dodgy builder
#7 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 4:31 PM
You need to start thinking a bit differently. Since you work in CAW you don't have just a tunnel, road or on a lot to work. You can make your tunnel like a ditch with a top building of sorts. You can also do that on a lot of course, but you need more room.

Caw is different because it also controls the game's playability. If you ignore routing for instance, it will be horrible to play really fast. Patience is really important. As Ghost says you paint and work on the canvas first because you have to figure out how much room you need and the canvas bounces whenever you touch it.

It's also much easier painting and sculpting your canvas with a very big brush in the beginning, and have something to continue working on closer and closer. That's what I did and I don't have much patience either. You then have a canvas there already when putting down your lots.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 4:52 PM
I would use individual lots and dive wells and maybe make a sequence to travel between the 4 in a particular order?

No 2 people work in CAW the exact same way just as we all play in a unique way. Do whatever works best for you.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 11:51 AM
@MadDoctor

Simsupply is very experienced in making worlds and is still around. He's also a good teacher.

You might also find some earlier tutorials by James(Simsupply) telling you more in detail.