Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Dec 2016 at 4:47 PM Last edited by AJV2688 : 15th Dec 2016 at 5:26 PM.
Default Sims Can't Marry
My sims are engaged, but unable to marry. When I go to choose elope, it is unavailable, and it pops up that it is 'inappropriate to marry a sim in your employ'. As far as I know, this sim has never been employed by the other. The guy sim was just a regular sim (Paolo Rocca), and they met through my sim's club. Then I moved him into the household. So, why can't they get married? I tried having a wedding too, but get the same message. I've tried checking to see if I could 'un-employ' him somehow, but I don't see where I could. He must not be employed by her, right? This is really strange.

Now I know... and knowing is half the battle.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 1:11 AM
Sounds like a mod problem. Try removing your mods.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Dec 2016 at 5:10 AM
I haven't added any mods.

Field Researcher
#4 Old 21st Dec 2016 at 8:11 PM
I am not sure what could be causing it if you haven't added any mods to your game. Maybe someone else here has had this problem and can be of more help than I am. Sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Dec 2016 at 6:18 PM
Now I tried having her marry another sim, and it says the same thing. Maybe it would help if I created a new sim for her to marry?

Scholar
#6 Old 1st Jan 2017 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AJV2688
My sims are engaged, but unable to marry. When I go to choose elope, it is unavailable, and it pops up that it is 'inappropriate to marry a sim in your employ'. As far as I know, this sim has never been employed by the other. The guy sim was just a regular sim (Paolo Rocca), and they met through my sim's club. Then I moved him into the household. So, why can't they get married? I tried having a wedding too, but get the same message. I've tried checking to see if I could 'un-employ' him somehow, but I don't see where I could. He must not be employed by her, right? This is really strange.

This is a vanilla EAxis problem: Answer HQ English>The Sims>The Sims 4 Bug Reports> [OPEN] Sims cannot propose. It helps if you click "Me too" and/or share your problem. That way it'll get noticed better, since that's the official bug reporting site.
Smeg Head
#7 Old 5th Jan 2017 at 9:58 PM
Yep, I'm seeing it too. I thought it might have been conflicting mods, but I had no time to start yet another mod elimination hunt. Glad I didn't now, so thanks for letting us know it's yet another dev guff, aparkison. I'm heading over to go hit the Me Too tab...
Scholar
#8 Old 6th Jan 2017 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
Yep, I'm seeing it too. I thought it might have been conflicting mods, but I had no time to start yet another mod elimination hunt. Glad I didn't now, so thanks for letting us know it's yet another dev guff, aparkison. I'm heading over to go hit the Me Too tab...

You're welcome! I hope you get your Tumblr sorted soon and sorry for what happened to you. I love your mods and I'd miss your wonderful descriptions.
Test Subject
#9 Old 13th Mar 2017 at 5:09 AM Last edited by wolvishcub : 13th Mar 2017 at 5:25 AM.
Been having this same problem too. So far the only way I can get around it is by using cheats. First i ask for the sim to move in with mine, then I CTL+Shift+C, then first type in "testingcheats on", then "cas.fulleditmode" and then you can simply make them spouses through CAS by clicking on a dresser or wardrobe to "Plan Outfits". It's not as fulfilling, but you at least get them married in a way.

*Update* Just noticed, even doing it this way they still get the "Just Married" moodlet.
Test Subject
#10 Old 25th May 2017 at 6:51 PM Last edited by Sa_Ra : 25th May 2017 at 7:16 PM.
I've just patched up and I've started getting this. Two sims are engaged, neither have been in the other's employ, but only one of them has the option for marrying, while the other has it grayed out. They do not elope if I click it. The only script mod I have is Neia's no relationship culling.

edit: I've tried clearing marriages, but it sadly doesn't change anything.

edit: After a bit of digging I found that some have this issue with sims who have been serial romantics. You have to ask to be just friends with all of the other boyfriends/girlfriends before the option for marrying/eloping will become available.

Not sure if this is a bug or EA's take on relationship ethics.

forever craving chef salad | Sa0Ra on TS4 gallery | Sims & Sensibility
Field Researcher
#11 Old 25th May 2017 at 11:46 PM
yeah I was having this problem too. But this time there is no option to propose her. I can't get married with most premade NPCs
Test Subject
#12 Old 28th May 2017 at 2:06 PM
if you cant get married go to the ea answer hq that website should help you
Test Subject
#13 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 7:51 PM
It's a stupid thing! I am able to propose but the game don't let me elope!

Why the game let me propose in the first place... If the game would not let me marriage should not let me propose.
Grrrrrrr!

Now my sim is engaged and cannot propose to any other sim!
Test Subject
#14 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 7:05 PM
Default How to get a wedding
You need find old relations he/she had - the sim that can't have active the wedding and make them friends - ask to be only friends/ best friends. I even plan a wedding and my sim couldn't merry so I invite old friends and one by one ask them be best friends and when was ask be only friends I choose it. This set him free to marry. This was old issue at sims 3 too. So I remember it .
Test Subject
#15 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 9:00 AM
A common issue that has plagued a few of my games and never really reached a good conclusion.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 4:56 PM
This problem is back after latest patch!

Deceased
#17 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AJV2688
This problem is back after latest patch!

Polarbearsims' Inappropriate To Marry FIX mod should address the issue by eliminating the test that fails due to EAxis's assumption that a Sim can have only one significant other.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 7:01 PM
I’m having this issue too... he’s a retail business owner, she’s his live in fiance. He can’t plan a wedding with her, but she can plan one with him, although every now and then his marriage options become available (especially just after they’ve copulated.... which is pretty much all the time), so it seems like a temporary state rather than a persistent issue.

Fortunately, they have pretty much the same bunch of friends, so it looks like a wedding will happen. But like so much about this stupid game, I can’t honestly say I’m looking forward to it. However, Wicked Whims and Basemental Drugs should allow the bridesmaids to get off with the groom and/or each other, and ensure the event descends into chaos... just like a real wedding!