Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 11:53 PM
Default A few questions about desks: Slots, behaviors, footprint...
I've made a 6-tiled desk and, after a week of scores of tutorials and trial & error , finally managed to get the computer to work in the center instead of the right side. Then, using the footprint tutorial from Echo, stopped my sim from walking through it. So now it works pretty well in game. There are still a couple of nagging issues, though; so I'm hoping to pick the brains of you gurus here to learn what I'm doing right and/or wrong. Here are the questions I have:

1. I hate making things work without knowing how I did it. After all the experiments I made transforming slots in the CRES, adding slots, deleting slots, changing slot assignments in OBJDs, repositioning the mesh etc., the only thing I [think I] know for sure about desk slots is that you can only use a computer in the tile that both a)has the (0,0) index AND b) is at the origin point of the mesh. Is there a repository of knowledge out there that has more info on desk slots? Like, why can't I get the main desk slot to allow computers work anywhere but the origin? Is there a way to edit and change this behavior? What I'm trying to be able to do is make the computer and homework work anywhere on the desks, or at least multiple slots. I'm fairly certain it could be achieved by just adding table slots, but that defeats the purpose of trying to understand what I'm doing.

2. Since I had to make the (1,0) OBJ tile into (0,0), now I have two tiles that have negative indices assigned: (-1,0), (-1,1). This keeps me from being able to draw the footprint correctly in the CRES. I'm able to keep the sims from walking through them and other objects from intersecting, but those two tiles still don't respect walls. Literally I can place four tiles of the desk in one room and the right two tiles can be in another room, or even outside. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

3. Never mind. Had a brain toot as I was typing the question.

Thanks for your time.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 26th Feb 2017 at 2:41 PM
Desk slots are a bit more complicated than most because of the way they force computers and homework to use specific slots. The thing to look at is the op-code 'Function - Prevent Place in Slot' which is called from the Object Functions (OBJF). Remember each tile of the desk has it's own Object Functions (OBJF) and Slot File (SLOT). You can import the 'Function - Prevent Place in Slot' as a 'private' op-code to make changes to it.

You can use negative values for minx and miny when drawing the footprint in the CRES
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Mar 2017 at 3:35 PM
Chris,
Thank you so much. That's very useful information. Looks like I'm studying function editing for the next week or so. Knowing about negative mins is gonna make my life a lot easier.