Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 7:05 PM
Default Players in Rockford, Illinois??
I would like to get in contact with Sims 3 players in Rockford, Illinois.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 12:29 AM
Is that a town you picked at random, or does it have some special significance for you?
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 12:38 AM
I been there. They have a "Museum of Time". That was 30 years ago.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 2:37 AM
I'm pretty sure I passed that on my way across the mountain here in Norway some years ago.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 5:12 AM
I used to work there a while back. Not the one in Norway, they must have franchises. We had computers on our desks running DOS and had to fill out our time records on paper using a #2 pencil. Oh no wait, that wasn't The Museum of Time, that was The Government Office Where Time Stood Still. Sorry, my mistake.

I think the OP is from that town and wants someone to come over and show them how to install mods, actually.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 12:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I used to work there a while back. Not the one in Norway, they must have franchises. We had computers on our desks running DOS and had to fill out our time records on paper using a #2 pencil. Oh no wait, that wasn't The Museum of Time, that was The Government Office Where Time Stood Still. Sorry, my mistake.

I worked in such a place 10 years ago. The boss was so afraid of messing up something, they sat on 20 year old computers.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 4:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I worked in such a place 10 years ago. The boss was so afraid of messing up something, they sat on 20 year old computers.

That's one thing we didn't try. Did sitting on them help? We were woefully underfunded so as not to waste taxpayers' money because the agency was designed to dissolve when its mission was finished, but they did at least give us chairs.
Scholar
#8 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 5:50 PM
I liked DOS. Now I see no need to switch from xp until somebody invents an OS I like better.

Alas, know nobody in Rockford, Illinois, let alone any simmers there.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 9:59 PM
That's one thing we didn't try. Did sitting on them help? We were woefully underfunded so as not to waste taxpayers' money because the agency was designed to dissolve when its mission was finished, but they did at least give us chairs.

That was translated from Norwegian probably. To sit on means to own I take it that doesn't work in English?

... was that because they expected the Internet to be over by xmas?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 10:37 PM
That was translated from Norwegian probably. To sit on means to own I take it that doesn't work in English?

... was that because they expected the Internet to be over by xmas?

No, the expression works perfectly well in English to mean "we're not advancing these" until a wiseguy like me comes along and makes fun of it.

I'm not sure federal office workers in this country generally have free access to the Internet from their workstations, probably limited. This was admittedly quite a while ago. But mice would have been a nice productivity enhancement, Win NT was not exactly brand new at the time either but that wasn't in the cards for us either back then.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 6:49 PM
To be clear -- we are asking about Simmers in far-northern Illinois, but not necessarily Norwegian ones, right? 'cause there's no doubt a lot of Scandinavian heritage there, but that doesn't mean that someone could just walk into a cultural center and ask for Simmers.

I'm pretty sure I passed that on my way across the mountain here in Norway some years ago.

Sure, I guess there could be a Rockford in Norway. I read somewhere that there's an Albany in every state of the USA. I bet the Rockford in Illinois is bigger than the one in Norway, though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 6:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Is that a town you picked at random, or does it have some special significance for you?

It does. I live here, and it would be nice to get some on hands local help at times with things.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 6:26 AM
Thanks everyone. I was hoping I could get in contact with some others who live here to give some assistance and hands on help at times. I guess I am not surprised I am the only one in Rockford that plays the Sims. The city is not that big as there are only about 130,000 people here. I recently moved here from Phoenix. Now that is a big city.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 6:33 AM Last edited by igazor : 26th Mar 2017 at 6:43 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Davidray
Thanks everyone. I was hoping I could get in contact with some others who live here to give some assistance and hands on help at times. I guess I am not surprised I am the only one in Rockford that plays the Sims. The city is not that big as there are only about 130,000 people here. I recently moved here from Phoenix. Now that is a big city.

There actually might be more of you there, but they wouldn't necessarily be hanging out on MTS or reading this message board.

Do you know anyone further away who is tech savvy and familiar enough with TS3 to be able to help, and whom you would trust to allow into a remote session onto your computer? You could cede control of the mouse and keyboard to them and watch while they explain over the phone or through a voice connection what they are doing from far away using products like Team Viewer, GoToMeeting, LogMeIn, or whatever they prefer and might already have in place on their end for such support sessions.
Scholar
#15 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 8:57 AM
Stranger danger!

What's so 'rock' 'bout Rockford? Is Illinois the state Wayne's World was set in?

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#16 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 9:14 AM
@Davidray
Rockford is about 10x bigger than the town I live in and I know for a fact that I'm not the only simmer in this town. I'm sure there are others in Rockford BUT - people aren't too likely to say "Hey, I live there, what do you want?" unless they know you somewhat. You're really new here and, well, people are leery and I don't blame them.

If the help you need is something could remotely help you with (as igazor suggested)) and you let us know what that help is, there might be someone who could do that.

Edit: Wayne's World? I think so but.. but.. The Blues Brothers!! That's the movie I think of when I think Illinois. Then again, I'm old, so there's that.
Editing again to clarify the above: Yes I am old. But that's not the real reason I think of The Blues Brothers for Illinois. There used to be a carnival of sorts every summer and The Blues Brothers (not the actors but a real band that traveled) were one of the big attractions every year. They arrived in "the car" from the movie.. it was really cool and people came from all over Illinois to see it.
dodgy builder
#17 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 2:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
To be clear -- we are asking about Simmers in far-northern Illinois, but not necessarily Norwegian ones, right? 'cause there's no doubt a lot of Scandinavian heritage there, but that doesn't mean that someone could just walk into a cultural center and ask for Simmers.

Sure, I guess there could be a Rockford in Norway. I read somewhere that there's an Albany in every state of the USA. I bet the Rockford in Illinois is bigger than the one in Norway, though.

I was just kidding, it's not a very norwegian name. According to wikipedia it has 148k people, and that could be less than some of our cities, but you're right, it's more likely bigger. It's not really easy surviving on what you can grow in this country, too far north.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 7:56 PM
Suddenly, I'm thinking about meeting other simmers in my city.

nah... send a sim to me by simport.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 9:00 PM
I'm always hesitant about meeting strangers online. Usually we're having a fun time, sharing a few laughs with drinks, and the next thing I remember it's the next morning and I have no idea how I got home or where my wallet went.. On the plus side, I probably had a good time!

Check out my Legacy Challenge:
Chapter 41: Do Babies Eat Sand?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 9:32 PM
There actually might be more of you there, but they wouldn't necessarily be hanging out on MTS or reading this message board.

Do you know anyone further away who is tech savvy and familiar enough with TS3 to be able to help, and whom you would trust to allow into a remote session onto your computer? You could cede control of the mouse and keyboard to them and watch while they explain over the phone or through a voice connection what they are doing from far away using products like Team Viewer, GoToMeeting, LogMeIn, or whatever they prefer and might already have in place on their end for such support sessions.

Thank you. There is a thought. I didn't know private people could do remote assistance. I thought only business did that. Microsoft has done that with me. I do know of someone in another state that I just left, but I am not sure of their time schedule. something to think about , though. Thanks.
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mister_wolfe
I'm always hesitant about meeting strangers online. Usually we're having a fun time, sharing a few laughs with drinks, and the next thing I remember it's the next morning and I have no idea how I got home or where my wallet went.. On the plus side, I probably had a good time!

I know. The hangerover... waking up in the tub filled with ice, the note to call an ambulance because they took your kidney...
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 9:50 PM
Glad OP got some assistance.
Quote: Originally posted by Davidray
I recently moved here from Phoenix. Now that is a big city.

(It really is. People underestimate Phoenix, but it is the 6th biggest city in the US by population, and has been for a decade.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 11:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AdmiralDefiant
Glad OP got some assistance.

(It really is. People underestimate Phoenix, but it is the 6th biggest city in the US by population, and has been for a decade.)

Yes. And getting used to this small town after over 40 years in Phoenix is quite a feat.
Site Helper
#24 Old 27th Mar 2017 at 3:30 AM
40 years in a big city and you move to a small town? It's either going to drive you nuts, or you're going to start wondering why you didn't move sooner.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook