Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 5:58 AM
Default Can I upload my converted hairs here?
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I've been converted some hairs, and if I'm successful, is it alright to share them here? Most of the hairs are from TSR, but I haven't asked the permission of the creators. Do I need their permission to share? Just wondering what the rules here are.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 9:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mirabellarose
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I've been converted some hairs, and if I'm successful, is it alright to share them here? Most of the hairs are from TSR, but I haven't asked the permission of the creators. Do I need their permission to share? Just wondering what the rules here are.

Okay, this looks to be a dead thread. Guess no one plays Sims Medieval much. I'm going to ask permission, but I may just go ahead and upload my conversions anyway. If there's an issue with this please let me know.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 12:21 PM
The TSM community here at MTS is not dead, per se, but we're in limited supply, so you'll have to be patient if you post here. I think the uploads here are moderated to a much less degree than for the other Sims games that have a dedicated downloads section, but I'd say that the same rules apply nevertheless. You can check out the Creator Guidelines, but in your case Uploads NOT allowed on MTS and Updates and Remixes of Creations will hold the information you're looking for.
Scholar
#4 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 1:55 PM
A few years back there were hair conversions removed from the TSM section because the uploaders didn't have permission.
I don't think it's any different for TSM as with any other sims game, it's just common courtesy to request permission to use someone else's work.
Some people don't require you to ask as long as you credit them, but you'd have to read what each individual creator has to say about that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 1:53 AM
Okay. Well, I asked a couple of creators. Haven't heard anything back yet. Thing is, I would very much like to share the hairs I've converted since there is such a limited number of CAS items for Sims Medieval. Custom Content is what makes The Sims fun, in my opinion. It would be a shame, in my mind, if I wasn't able to share my conversions. It's tempting to just share them anyway.

Thanks for your replies!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 10:57 AM
Well, you should at least allow the original creators some time to reply to you. But the rules here doesn't block you from uploading content that contains other peoples work, if you can't get in touch with them. This is also stated in one of the articles I referred you to, specifically Updates and Remixes of Creations.

Quote:
Some of the coolest creations grow from a modification of someone else's work. By "remix" we mean basically any modification of the creator's work - using their textures or meshes, converting from one game to another, or including as part of a lot upload. In the past, we've required either permission or a stated policy that says you can "remix." But many creators disappear, have no policies or unclear policies, and you can't ask permission because you can't contact them. In light of this, we allow "remixes" of other creators' work, even if you don't necessarily have permission and their policies don't state you can.

This is subject to certain conditions (ALL of these must be true, not just one/some):
  • The original creator does not have policies (either on their profile or in their posts) stating that you cannot do whatever type of remix you're doing.
  • You must provide a link back to the original creator's profile/creation in the text of your post, and state what you've used. Just saying "Based on this: (link)" is not enough - you need to state the creator's name, the name of what you've used by them and how (mesh, textures, whatever), and a link back to them.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Dec 2014 at 6:05 AM
Okay. Well, I've asked permission of all the creators, but I've yet to receive an answer. What do you think is an appropriate time frame to give them? A month, maybe?

And the creators were all from The Sims Resource, so I'm not sure if the rules of sharing are ones that the individual creators have, or if TSR has a set of standard rules that all their creators must abide by. I'll have to look further into this.

Also, I've been converting makeup. The creators I'm using are PralineSims and Gosik, both of whom are with TSR. Again, I've sent them messages, haven't received a reply, and have to decide what my next step is going to be if I don't get a reply.

One more question. I want to convert some skins. The only problem is, I'm not that great at using Photoshop. So, in order to convert skins, I will have to use someone else's creation (probably Ephemera, since the skins are so beautiful), and re-size and mess around with the face. If I do this...if I use Ephemera's skin for the body, and redo the face on my own -- which might entail frankensteining parts from other skins, I don't know -- would that be considered a skin blend done by me? And if it is considered a skin blend done by me, than I should be free to upload my finished product here, right? Assuming I give full credit where credit is due, of course.

Thanks everyone. After banging my head against a wall for the past year, trying to learn all this crap, I'm excited that I'm finally able to do some creating of my own, instead of being envious of other people's abilities (well, less envious, anyway). I want to share my work. That's part of the fun, you know. And The Sims Medieval is sadly lacking in...well...STUFF!

Thanks again!
Test Subject
#8 Old 23rd Dec 2014 at 4:42 AM
Okay. Well, I've asked permission of all the creators, but I've yet to receive an answer. What do you think is an appropriate time frame to give them? A month, maybe?

And the creators were all from The Sims Resource, so I'm not sure if the rules of sharing are ones that the individual creators have, or if TSR has a set of standard rules that all their creators must abide by. I'll have to look further into this.

Also, I've been converting makeup. The creators I'm using are PralineSims and Gosik, both of whom are with TSR. Again, I've sent them messages, haven't received a reply, and have to decide what my next step is going to be if I don't get a reply.

One more question. I want to convert some skins. The only problem is, I'm not that great at using Photoshop. So, in order to convert skins, I will have to use someone else's creation (probably Ephemera, since the skins are so beautiful), and re-size and mess around with the face. If I do this...if I use Ephemera's skin for the body, and redo the face on my own -- which might entail frankensteining parts from other skins, I don't know -- would that be considered a skin blend done by me? And if it is considered a skin blend done by me, than I should be free to upload my finished product here, right? Assuming I give full credit where credit is due, of course.

Thanks everyone. After banging my head against a wall for the past year, trying to learn all this crap, I'm excited that I'm finally able to do some creating of my own, instead of being envious of other people's abilities (well, less envious, anyway). I want to share my work. That's part of the fun, you know. And The Sims Medieval is sadly lacking in...well...STUFF!

Thanks again!

I'm nobody, but I think what we need to remember about all this stuff for years now with the Sims, the old Sim City shared cities and buildings on up to the current Sim City, all the Tycoon game content, is that if it's just an object (as opposed to a mod or new animation for object interactions) even though much of the content is original art, most of it isn't. Most objects are either modified clones of an original game object or another created object. With the Sims games, there can be so many generations of clones that whoever made the original object can be long forgotten. It takes time and work and even artistic talent to make a lot of the objects for these games, but they are all originally, first and foremost, property of Electronic Arts. The objects, except for textures, even the mods, simply are useless and pointless without the technology of the game itself. No one is allowed to make a profit from the objects, they are only allowed to profit for their time and bandwidth in offering them, this is why no objects are ever sold as objects, but as "membership fees" for using the site, etc. So, although it is polite to ask permission to use what someone else used from someone else who made it from a clone of someone else, it is also, ultimately, property of EA which allows us to ever use it at all. Go ahead and do your stuff, since no one has responded. If MTS has strict rules which forbid, it, you would have to put it up elsewhere.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Dec 2014 at 7:30 AM
Thank you. I'm planning on uploading everything I've converted after the new year. At that time It will have been more than a month since I sought permission from the creators, and I think a month is sufficient. Also, I've done everything I can think of to contact the creators: I've sent emails, private messages, and guestbook messages. I've been in contact with the owners of The Sims Resource, in which I showed them what Mod the Sims policy is for uploading content. They basically said it's up to the individual creator, which, of course, brings me full circle back to where I started.

I'm uploading everything after January 1st, and I feel no unease about my decision whatsoever. I've done all I can to be polite and fair.

Quote: Originally posted by tinborgman
I'm nobody, but I think what we need to remember about all this stuff for years now with the Sims, the old Sim City shared cities and buildings on up to the current Sim City, all the Tycoon game content, is that if it's just an object (as opposed to a mod or new animation for object interactions) even though much of the content is original art, most of it isn't. Most objects are either modified clones of an original game object or another created object. With the Sims games, there can be so many generations of clones that whoever made the original object can be long forgotten. It takes time and work and even artistic talent to make a lot of the objects for these games, but they are all originally, first and foremost, property of Electronic Arts. The objects, except for textures, even the mods, simply are useless and pointless without the technology of the game itself. No one is allowed to make a profit from the objects, they are only allowed to profit for their time and bandwidth in offering them, this is why no objects are ever sold as objects, but as "membership fees" for using the site, etc. So, although it is polite to ask permission to use what someone else used from someone else who made it from a clone of someone else, it is also, ultimately, property of EA which allows us to ever use it at all. Go ahead and do your stuff, since no one has responded. If MTS has strict rules which forbid, it, you would have to put it up elsewhere.
Test Subject
#10 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 12:18 AM
Thank you. I'm planning on uploading everything I've converted after the new year. At that time It will have been more than a month since I sought permission from the creators, and I think a month is sufficient. Also, I've done everything I can think of to contact the creators: I've sent emails, private messages, and guestbook messages. I've been in contact with the owners of The Sims Resource, in which I showed them what Mod the Sims policy is for uploading content. They basically said it's up to the individual creator, which, of course, brings me full circle back to where I started.

I'm uploading everything after January 1st, and I feel no unease about my decision whatsoever. I've done all I can to be polite and fair.

It's been awhile, I want these converted hairs Y~Y
Scholar
#11 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 9:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kariwashere
It's been awhile, I want these converted hairs Y~Y

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=545105