Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 12:55 PM
Default Why don't you play Sims 3??
I get asked this by all of my friends when they hear that I play Sims 2. Do you guys ever get asked this too? And if so, what do you say? What's the reason why you don't play Sims 3?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 12:59 PM
Broke is always the answer I give them. When I got into the Sims2 I had the money to spend on all the expansions.
Scholar
#3 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 1:04 PM
my reasons are:

1. I only just finally managed to collect all the eps & sps (other than Happy Holidays)
2. I heard that you cannot have both Sims2 & Sims3 installed on the computer at the same time (don't know the full truth of that)
3. I have played the sims3 for Wii & it sucked ass (sims2 for ps2 was what got my hooked & made me want it for the pc) I lasted all of a 'simday' before getting completely frustrated & packed it in
4. not sure whether I like the concept of 'open neighborhood' & don't like the 'look' of the sims. there are a few here for download that actually do have a touch of realism but mostly they look too cartoony

I have been tempted to get into the sims3 medival but will wait till my hubby upgrades his pc
Banned
#4 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 1:07 PM
The two games have different feeling about them. I prefer that of The Sims 2.

Also, somewhere on this forum I've seen "can't play a game which plays itself". Pretty much sums it up.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 2:02 PM
Why should I?

Nobody should ever have to defend their taste - not in games, not in books, not in movies, not in food, not in bed, not in hobby, not in lifestyle. We like what we like 'cause we like it, and it's nobody else's business.

Unless, of course, your hobby is arson and your sexual preference is minors; but such considerations don't apply to computer games.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#6 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 2:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetbaby160
2. I heard that you cannot have both Sims2 & Sims3 installed on the computer at the same time (don't know the full truth of that)

The only limitations of having both versions installed is one of space: I have happily installed and played The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims 3 on the same computer.

---

For me, I'm the kind of simmer who prefers playing all households in a 'hood, and I dislike the idea of households of sims I've cared for going off on their own (probably explains why I've never gotten past a parent-child household yet, despite having the game for over a year). I know there's options on Twallan's mods to do sims 2 style gaming, but I haven't explored that fully.

While the sims 2 genetics are limiting compared to the sims 3, I prefer the dominant/recessive method of 2 over the pseudo-Lamarkian method of 3.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Forum Resident
#7 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 2:17 PM
When I first bought the game, I played it for a few weeks exclusively. But I tired of the fact that the speed controls didn't seem to do anything, which made the nights especially boring. All of my custom-made sims looked the same, and I didn't realize at the time that playing Sims 3 requires a different mentality than Sims 2: you can't just go from house to house, because regardless of whether or not you have aging on or storyline progression on, if you play another household random THINGS will happen in the houses you've just left. I'm told that patching the game will fix that speed control glitch, but I haven't had any luck finding the right patch. There are hordes of patches, all with long version numbers. If I download one, it's either the wrong version or the wrong region. So I gave up and went back to Sims 2. There are things I miss from the time I spent with Sims3, like their approach to jobs and the flexibility of the inventory system, but I suppose I'll get around to replaying TS2 eventually. I may wind up buying an expansion -- maybe IT will patch the game for me.
Banned
#8 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Nobody should ever have to defend their taste - not in games, not in books, not in movies, not in food, not in bed, not in hobby, not in lifestyle.
We're not defending it, we're discussing it. Do you know the difference?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 2:46 PM
The Sims 3 is very complicated. and although the graphics were great, it was still... i dont know... too much... i mean it was... saturated.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lance
We're not defending it, we're discussing it. Do you know the difference?

I was telling you how I would answer the question if it were asked of me, which it isn't.

The reasons for preferring Sims2 to Sims3 are discussed on this forum endlessly. To the point that it begins to sound defensive. But it's all preaching to the choir, isn't it?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 3:09 PM
I'm afraid my answer would be 'because it's cr*p.' I'm sorry if that offends anyone's preference but it's my opinion of the game - I don't like it and it doesn't suit my style of play.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#12 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 4:19 PM
As a poor college student... Price, really. The base Sims 3 game is still going for about $30 while I could pick up Sims 2 Double Deluxe for $8 at a used bookstore. I did do a bit of research and it seemed like I'd probably prefer Sims 2 anyway. I wouldn't want one house off doing crazy things while I was playing another one. Micromanaging their poor Sim lives is the way for me. Also, lots of custom content, less buggy, and less of a space hog, I believe.
Scholar
#13 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 4:29 PM
I've been playing both for the couple of weeks and from my observation and personal feeling, Sims 3 is more of a quest game than life simulation if we compare to Sims 2, to put it very short and simple. And I play each game differently.

I'm more attached to my Sims 2 games on a "personal level", I play the families in rotation, plan their future to some degree, assist in love/marriage affairs, help Sims in building their fortune/business/gardens, come up with story lines and more or less stick to them, etc etc - I take a part in my Sim families life, as funny as it sounds, and that includes all playable families and many townies too. I also find Sims 2 easier "mod'able" to make it the way I want it and hence personalizing it even more.

But in Sims 3 it's mostly about achieving given goals and completing tasks (or Opportunities) for me, and it's darn hard to do that - reaching the LTW, as simple as getting to the top of career, it takes lots of time, much effort and brain work Or take adventures, these require some serious work to complete. Right now I'm playing mostly World Adventures and I absolutely love it, and while playing Sims who travel around and hunt for treasure, I play Sims 3 solely with a quest gamer attitude. Who fancies who, what baby was born, who died of old age or got promotion, what skill got improved accidentally, it's all irrelevant to me unless it helps to complete the Opportunity.

If I wasn't interested in playing quests in seamless world where everything outside my current playable household is out of my control, I wouldn't enjoy Sims 3 so much and remained solely with Sims 2.

So yeah, apart from requirements like good PC for Sims 3 and pricey games (in comparison to Sims 2), it's down to what players enjoy to do in their games and how their plan their game session.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 4:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
The reasons for preferring Sims2 to Sims3 are discussed on this forum endlessly.

I understand that, but this thread isn't really about which one you prefer like a TS2 VS TS3 thing, it's just about why you don't play Sims 3 in general.

Anyways, I don't play it because it really disappointed me, definitely not worth the $50. I know it's just the base game, but TBO, I have more fun with the Sims 2 base game.

I like the open neighborhood and all, but I don't like how you're basically stuck with one family in the hood if you don't want everyone to grow up around you. I also don't like how everything is much more challenge-like. For example, in order to cook (most) meals, you need to actually buy/plant the ingredients. Same with skill books, you need you actually go out and buy more volumes which is a pain.

I think EA made TS3 TOO realistic, and I like the wacky and simple nature of TS2 and all the paranormal creatures (although they're starting to do that with Unicorns which I guess is a step-up...)

So that's why I don't play The Sims 3. It's more of a challege/quest game than a simulation, too realistic, and plus it lags a lot...
Mad Poster
#15 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WooHoo31
I like the open neighborhood and all, but I don't like how you're basically stuck with one family in the hood if you don't want everyone to grow up around you. I also don't like how everything is much more challenge-like. For example, in order to cook (most) meals, you need to actually buy/plant the ingredients. Same with skill books, you need you actually go out and buy more volumes which is a pain.

The one family thing bugs me too. I do play TS3 rather than TS2 nowadays, but then I tend to start a new family in a new neighbourhood every time I play. As for the cooking ingredients, for a quest based game I think it's rather lame that you can buy the required ingredients from the fridge. In TS2, I loved going shopping for groceries, but in TS3, not only do they last forever but you can also magically buy missing ingredients from the fridge. It's like they wanted to make a quest but decided against it and made something in between. Like magical hotdog trays when you want to grill hotdogs in the park, they just appear out of nowhere even tough your sim doesn't have hotdogs in his inventory. And the quests are not that engaging, most of the time they don't even make sense, they might be fun for someone much younger though, but then the life simulation aspect is also less engaging than it was in TS2.
Banned
#16 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 5:40 PM
Sims look UGLY. Simple as that
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 6:20 PM
I have all the expansions of Sims 3 and I just recently gave up playing it and went [happily] back to TS2.

TS3 is so glitchy. I don't have a single piece of CC or any mods in my Sims 3 game, AND I'm playing on a relatively new high-end gaming PC. That alone is a huge reason, but there are so many others...

The Sims themselves are so gross in TS3. The way their face scrunches up when their mouths move especially bothers me. I find all the Sims look very much the same. My Sims 2 game is AMAZING and full of CC and all the Sims in it are gorgeous, which is not REQUIRED for me to enjoy a game but greatly enhances it.

I don't really want to get into an exhaustive explanation, but plain and simple, I like the game style of TS2 better. There are some elements of TS3 I really like, but as a total package, the game falls short and doesn't have the same addictive and consuming feel as TS2, partly because I can't micro-manage my neighborhoods in TS3. It just isn't a game I feel I need to really invest time in, and I find myself not particularly caring about my families in TS3. I mainly just mess around and try to "do everything" in the game just to do it, not because I'm creating stories for my Sims. The fact that the mods for TS3 don't even begin to compare to what came out for TS2 is the final nail in the coffin for me. I'm an adult, and I like certain adult elements in my Sims games for storytelling and entertainment purposes which I was able to get in spades for TS2, but are not available for the Sims 3. Also, I like playing big families, and it just isn't fun at all to have kids in TS3. I feel like the only improvement in that regard that TS3 made is the way pregnancies are handled. The pregnancy and birth phase is more realistic, but once that gross, stiff, ugly cocoon baby is born, all the fun is lost.

I could go on, but I think I'm gonna start TS2 up now...
Site Helper
#18 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 6:43 PM
First, a caveat: I haven't played the game since the base game. Perhaps some of these things have been fixed. One of these days, I intend to reinstall and patch and see whether it's as awful as I remember.

1) The lighting is horrible. You can't see inside a building after you've put up the walls, unless you add a lot of lights. You can't turn off shadows without turning off the lighting.
2) I hate the way that the sims look.
3) Building is painful.
4) Neighborhoods have fixed sizes and locations for lots (Sims 1, anyone?). You have to use an external program (CAW) to add or move them.
5) I want Pescado's fixes from Awesomemod, but I don't want to play the game the way that Pes wants me to play. OK, it would be even better if EA would fix their own bugs, but what's the chance of that? Probably about the same as Pescado allowing me to disable the Awesomemod features that I don't want.
5.A) Speaking of Awesomemod, I hate having a (required) mod that expires.
6) Relationships are bizarre. Who wants to have to flirt with their spouse for two hours to be allowed to hug or kiss them goodbye before work? Isn't anyone on the Sims team married? Don't they understand how relationships work?
7) I'd rather see my sims respond to each other, rather than having a text message that tells me what's happening.
8) I found it almost impossible to play multiple sims at one time. I like playing multiple sims at once.
9) I don't like the game setting goals for me.

However, the main reason that I don't play the Sims 3 is: It isn't fun. Every time that I played TS3, I found myself wanting to do something else. I even found myself wanting to clean toilets, which I hate. Why play a game that's less fun than cleaning toilets? I kept trying to find a way to have fun playing it, and finding myself looking around for something (anything) else to do so that I wouldn't have to play TS3.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
First, a caveat: I haven't played the game since the base game. Perhaps some of these things have been fixed. One of these days, I intend to reinstall and patch and see whether it's as awful as I remember.

forgot to mention that the size of 1 patch for sims 3 is equivalent to approx. 3 sims 2 Stuff packs and there are so many patches.
Undead Molten Llama
#20 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 6:52 PM Last edited by iCad : 21st Nov 2011 at 8:22 PM.
Oh hell. In my peer group/family/whatever, the question isn't why I play TS2 but why I play The Sims, period. The question I get most often is, "Isn't that for 12-year-olds?" (Of course, I answer, "Yes. And so is Harry Potter." This, of course, to a fellow 40something friend of mine, who is also a rabid Harry Potter fan but who thinks I'm "childish" for being Sims-obsessed. ) *sniff* The only one who understands me is my 14-year-old daughter, who is the "pusher" who turned me on to the game, damn her.

But anyway, the reason I prefer 2 over 3 is that while there are some aspects of it that I really liked when I tried it, I personally don't like how TS3 looks (and I'm not talking about the Sims; I'm talking architecturally) and, more importantly, I don't like its play style. Yeah, I know you can tweak the latter, but IMO... Why go to the effort of tweaking the game so that it's like 2 when I can just go ahead and play 2?

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 7:14 PM
After seeing the pudding faces and watching gameplay videos on YouTube, I decided not to buy it...plus the base game is like $50 (and I'd gotten Sims 2 Double Deluxe and combo packs for $20 each).

Plus I have enough distractions.

(I've never played Sims 1 either.)
Alchemist
#22 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetbaby160
3. I have played the sims3 for Wii & it sucked ass (sims2 for ps2 was what got my hooked & made me want it for the pc)

*Sims 3 player pops in*

Sims on consoles isn't the same as for PC anyway

*Sims 3 player leaves*

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#23 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 8:03 PM
Stability. That's my main reason. I got irriated with making sure to save my game every few minutes so that I wouldn't lose progress WHEN it crashed. Sims 2 NEVER crashes. I accidentally closed my laptop and it went into hibernation. When I opened the computer back up, Sims 2 kicked right back on.
Also, I demo'd Pets and found that my laptop couldn't play it! That was the nail in the coffin for me. My sims have to have pets.

In Sims 3, I did like the open style and the fact that if I left them alone for hours(assuming the game didn't crash) I would still have living sims when I returned. In Sims 2, if I left them alone for hours, I would come back to an empty house and tombstones from starvation! LOL.

I also love love love all the CC for Sims 2. My folder size is huge because of it. (I have over 1GB of clothes alone lol)
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 8:18 PM
The main reason I didn't buy Sims 3 is because it was too expensive for me. :/ When I went to buy a Sims game earlier this year, I found a bunch of Sims 3 base games for $40. On same shelf, I found one TS2 Double Deluxe game for only $20. I bought TS2 because it was cheaper, and there were three games for the price of one. I'd say that's a pretty good deal. (Although, I originally bought the Pets Collection pack, not realizing I needed a base game, but that's another story... )
Also, I have a nearly complete game (except for FreeTime and Glamour Life stuff). Why would I get TS3 now?

Another reason is the fact that I hate the look of the TS3 Sims. e__e I've gotten used to them a bit after reading my friend's legacy, but... they're too cartoony looking. And they all look the same with their creepy round faces. o__o

|| Tumblr ||
Mad Poster
#25 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 8:28 PM
I've gotten that question before and I couldn't answer it well enough to satisfy the other person. I've also been asked why I play Sims 1. I just like those games. Each Sims games has different objects, for one thing. Each one seems to have a different feel and a different objective. I like Sims 2 because I like the way the Sims look and the lack of scripting. I like Sims 3 for some of the challenges and for the openness of their world. I like Sims 1 for it's limitations and humor. Each one is different from the others and I enjoy them all.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Page 1 of 20