Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 8:21 PM
Default [ASK/CC TERMS] Download custom/default/geneticized? What do they mean?
Hi MTS forum,

I'm new here.
I'm sorry if this was asked before, but so far I have not found a thread that specifically discuss this.

So I was looking for custom eyes or skins for my game and I came across these terms I've never heard of before. All I know is that a custom content is a custom content. This person here offered custom eyes but he/she divided the download links into:
- Download custom
- Download default
- Download geneticized

So I googled what they meant and so far I only understand that custom content is more dominant than the other skins/eyes when it comes to Sims reproduction. I could be wrong. I'm not sure about the other two.
Can anybody help explaining the difference?

Thank you very much.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 8:36 PM
Default - replaces the Maxis original
Custom - in addition to the Maxis original; when applied to genetics, especially skintone, the term also indicates that it will be dominant in all cases
Geneticized - specifically used in reference to skintone, means that instead of overriding the genes of another parent, it will participate in the "Skintone range" system. I.E. if a geneticized skin has a value of .25, and the holder of it breeds with someone who has S4 (value .9), offspring may have either skintone, or any maxis or geneticized skintone that falls between those numbers. Can be startling if a fantasy skin is geneticized, or if you have two sets of geneticized skins that are not using sufficiently similar scales, but easily modified in SimPE.
You should also be aware of the term "townified," which means custom content is available to be randomly chosen when the game creates a townie. If a custom hair is not townified, it will never randomly appear on an NPC - which may be a good thing, if it's particularly high-poly.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 9:11 PM
Geneticized can also apply to eyes Peni. Custom eyes are by default set to 0 when created, which means they are always dominant over all maxis eyes. An eye set can be geneticized so that it's eye colors match the dominant/recessive setting of maxis eyes where brown and dark blue are dominant and light blue, green and grey are recessive.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 10:28 PM
So basically if you are looking at a set of eyes and you want that eye to nearly always show up on babies go for custom. If both parents have custom it's a coin toss to which one the baby will get.
If you just want a chance of it showing up in a way that makes sense in the real world (EG brown is dominant over blue) go for genetizied. This can change when you have more than one set of eyes or skin.
If you want the Maxis one to disappear for good use default.

You can remove a default at anytime and it will simply revert back to the Maxis item that it was before you defaulted it. You cannot remove the other types while a sim is wearing it without borking their genetics. That can be fixed in SimPE though.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 10:45 PM
So you can remove your default eyes/skins at any time and replace it? I have no real idea how it works, but I have never dared to remove these two.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 11:15 PM
Yes, swap them whenever you like. You remove a blue eye default, the maxis blue eye will show-the game thought it was using it all the time. Switch to another blue eye default-this one will show and the game goes on still thinking the sim has blue maxis eyes. The only time this isn't the case is face template defaults. The live sim will continue to show the face template even after you have removed it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 8:53 AM
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 9:30 AM
Does that mean if, say, a child had one parent with alien eyes and another with custom eyes, they are most likely to inherit the custom eyes?
Field Researcher
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 6:00 PM
Alien eyes are equal to custom eyes in dominance, so it should be a 50/50 chance. As long as the custom eyes in question are not geneticized, and as long as you have the fix for alien eyes not showing with a non-alien skintone...
Scholar
#10 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 6:11 PM
That’s interesting, I thought that custom eyes are dominant over alien eyes, not equal to them.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 8:20 PM Last edited by grammapat : 23rd Mar 2017 at 8:47 PM.
Skin and eyes are different; eyes are set to be dominant or recessive or mixed - just like RL genetics. But skin is set with a number value that tells the game how to choose. Maxis 4 skin tones are set to .1,.3,.6,& .9. (from lightest to darkest). (The AVAILABLE range is from .01 to 9.00) . That means if you breed a .1 skin with a .9 skin, you could get .1, or .9 or anything in between - none is dominant over another. But if you set (or geniticise) your purple alien skin at .65, and a light-skinned Sim has a baby with a dark-skinned Sim, you could get a purple baby. But Alien (&CC skins) are automatically set at .0 - and .0 IS dominant; so if an alien has a baby with a Maxis sim it will always be alien.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 8:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Felicia1066
and as long as you have the fix for alien eyes not showing with a non-alien skintone...

Wait...why would you want alien eyes not to show with non-alien skintones?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 8:44 PM
Most people don't, but there's a glitch which causes this to happen, and also doesn't show alien eyes in teens, hence the fix. It's one of the things creaturefixes does.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#14 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 8:52 PM
So with creaturefixes I can’t have a sim with normal skintone and alien eyes? That’s a shame, I was hoping for it for my alien-normal couples Are the genetics of a baby set at birth? Maybe I’ll just take creaturefixes out before the baby is born, and then put it back in.

Simblr
Instructor
#15 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 8:59 PM
Alien eyes are NOT at the same value as custom eyes, they are at the same dominant level as brown and dark blue eyes. You can check that when you play the Curious family and Pascal's baby is born, because it can have alien, dark blue or brown eyes.
Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
So with creaturefixes I can’t have a sim with normal skintone and alien eyes?

I think you misunderstood what they said. Creaturefixes fixes a bug where a teen sim with alien eyes suddenly changed to normal ones, and allows sims with non-green skin to express the black eyes. So don't worry, you can keep the mod, because it allows you to have a baby with the normal skin and the alien eyes.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 9:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by velvetina
I think you misunderstood what they said. Creaturefixes fixes a bug where a teen sim with alien eyes suddenly changed to normal ones, and allows sims with non-green skin to express the black eyes. So don't worry, you can keep the mod, because it allows you to have a baby with the normal skin and the alien eyes.

I misunderstood as well. Thanks for clearing it up!
Scholar
#17 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 9:53 PM
@velvetina
Thanks, good to know it isn’t like I thought It really did sound to me like creaturefixes were disabling it, it probably was the wording. Not sure if I can blame me not being a native speaker as it wasn’t a complicated sentence :p

Simblr
Instructor
#18 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 9:59 PM
I'm not a native speaker either (I speak spanish natively), but yeah, the wording can be misread if you don't know what it's talking about, because you probably never experienced that bug.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 10:05 PM
I actually am a native English speaker...but I do have dyslexia, so there's that. :P
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 5:44 PM Last edited by maxon : 26th Mar 2017 at 12:20 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
So you can remove your default eyes/skins at any time and replace it? I have no real idea how it works, but I have never dared to remove these two.

Little explanation - defaults work like so, taking an eye as an example:

The game has, in its game files, the texture for the light blue eye
It's identified by a code number - the game will grab this texture whenever a light blue eye is called for when the game is running

Your default eyes have textures with the same code number but they are in Downloads

When the game starts up, it loads all the resources (why it takes a long time).
It first loads up the game files from the game folders and loads up the original light blue eye
Then it loads up all the stuff in My Documents and Downloads
Where it has two items with the same code number (i.e. the original eye and your default), it uses the one it read last (the one in Downloads)

That's how defaults work and is one of the reasons the game is so moddable - you can just replace a lot of game stuff by sticking something in Downloads with the same identifying code.

Removing the light blue eye default means the game only reads one thing with that id code (the original texture) and so uses that. So default files are always safe to delete. What you can't do is use more than one light blue default because only one will work - the one the game loads last (hence the advice to fiddle with load order for argumentative hacks).

What you shouldn't do is remove CUSTOM genetic stuff because that causes problems with the sim's DNA - fixable with SimPE but annoying.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#21 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 6:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
What you shouldn't do is remove CUSTOM genetic stuff because that causes problems with the sim's DNA - fixable with SimPE but annoying.

Ugh...wait a minute.
Does this means, if I downloaded geneticized skintones that I do not want anymore, but some sims are wearing..I cannot remove them unless I am up for a fun time in SimPE?
I am planning on changing everything. I guess I'll have a lot of reading to do.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#22 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by velvetina
Creaturefixes fixes a bug where a teen sim with alien eyes suddenly changed to normal ones, and allows sims with non-green skin to express the black eyes. So don't worry, you can keep the mod, because it allows you to have a baby with the normal skin and the alien eyes.

Thank you so much for reminding me of this bug! I recently tranferred a couple of old neighborhoods to this computer and the teen aliens had weird eyes. They were actually kind of pretty, but didn't look remotely like any eyes I had in my game and I was going nuts trying to figure out what had caused it - I thought it was a mod or CC conflict. I do have creaturefixes in my game, so I'm not sure why this happened. I guess this is one of those odd symptoms that sometimes happen in neighborhoods that are transferred between computers.

Fortunately, it was easily fixed with "change appearance". I didn't even have to change anything - just entering the dialog appears to have fixed it. Some experimentation showed that the eyes would have fixed themselves on aging up. I was half considering having this bug be a symptom of alien adolescence until I discovered it was such an easy fix.
Screenshots
Scholar
#23 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
(...) They were actually kind of pretty, but didn't look remotely like any eyes I had in my game (...)

They were eyes that are drawn on the skintone texture.

@Rosebine
Yes, deleting geneticised skins will corrupt genetics of sims wearing them, and you’ll have to fix it if you wan to delete those skins.

Simblr
Mad Poster
#24 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 8:42 PM
Ok..crap and re, crap
So i guess, once all these sims will be back at wearing a new skin, I'll have to manually edit their genetics to..whatever I want it to be. Oh well...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#25 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Ugh...wait a minute.
Does this means, if I downloaded geneticized skintones that I do not want anymore, but some sims are wearing..I cannot remove them unless I am up for a fun time in SimPE?
I am planning on changing everything. I guess I'll have a lot of reading to do.

You can remove them alright but you will have problems if you try to breed from any sim who was wearing them. What they usually do is default back to the S2 skintone but that's not what it says in the SimDNA relating to your sim.

With the eyes, if you remove a custom eye, what you get is the eye painted on the skintone (often looks flat). In other words, they no longer have an eye and you are just getting a simulcrum. The game once ripped an eye file I was using for me - I had to give the sim in question another eye with SimPE. It's entirely fixable, just a bit of a PITA.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Page 1 of 2