Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#301 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 12:42 PM
That's true in an even broader sense.

If you donate money to an animal charity that helps strays dogs - someone will always say that you should have donated that money to a sick children charity instead because humans are more important. If you donated to Haiti, someone will whine why you didn't donate to the homeless in your hometown instead. And so on...

In my opinion, if you want to help someone or a certain cause - good for you. Other people will say the effort was more needed elsewhere but then again, you're already doing more than most people do if you're trying to help others with your own time and money.
Advertisement
Inventor
#302 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ledgo
I would not eat the ice cream anymore if they did. Breast milk is simply something I will pass on.

You'll pass on human milk, which we all don't need past the age of 3 or so, but you'll take cow's milk, milk meant for baby cows, anytime. Weird.
Scholar
#303 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Purity4
You'll pass on human milk, which we all don't need past the age of 3 or so, but you'll take cow's milk, milk meant for baby cows, anytime. Weird.

Some people aren't very good at retraining themselves when they are used to something. We are accustomed to drinking cow's milk, but many have a visceral reaction against drinking human breast milk because it's not something we are made accustomed to and not something we would naturally do past a certain age. It makes no rational sense, but sometimes you just can't win. :P
Field Researcher
#304 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 3:22 AM
Well at least it's better then dressing up as the KKK to protest.
Scholar
#305 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 11:15 AM
@Undercovers_Agent - How does that have any relevance to the debate?
Mad Poster
#306 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Oaktree
Some people aren't very good at retraining themselves when they are used to something. We are accustomed to drinking cow's milk, but many have a visceral reaction against drinking human breast milk because it's not something we are made accustomed to and not something we would naturally do past a certain age. It makes no rational sense, but sometimes you just can't win. :P
I agree, and don't think this even happens just when you talk about drinking breast milk. I know lots of people who are squeamish at the idea of drinking goat's milk, despite the fact that it's essentially the same thing.
Scholar
#307 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 1:37 PM
I apologize if someone has asked this before, but where did PETA expect Ben and Jerry's to source the breast milk from?

I have images of women being rounded up, injected with artificial hormones and then attached to wierd suction things like cows are nowadays. Did PETA think that women will go for that? o_O
Field Researcher
#308 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 4:23 PM Last edited by Undercovers_Agent : 10th Jul 2010 at 9:42 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Figgi
@Undercovers_Agent - How does that have any relevance to the debate?

Peta dressed up as the KKK in protest outside of the Westminster Dog Show. Info here.

I apologize if someone has asked this before, but where did PETA expect Ben and Jerry's to source the breast milk from?

I have images of women being rounded up, injected with artificial hormones and then attached to wierd suction things like cows are nowadays. Did PETA think that women will go for that? o_O

Lol, just like those commercials that say "Okay we got wine, cola, and pet urine" And you're thinking, "How in hell's name did they get per urine into a two liter soda bottle?"

I'd imagine that would be correct

American Rocker Bomb, similar to an Irish car bomb, take a shot glass and fill it with five hour energy, then take a pint glass and fill it with your choice of energy drink. Drop in the shot glass and chug, then wait for SVT to set in.
Scholar
#309 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 4:31 PM
Wow that is seriously bad taste. Someone really needs to tell PETA to get a grip.
Test Subject
#310 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 10:38 AM
Geez don't you realize PETA wants humans as second class citizens. I applaud PETA on showing there true colors.

How much money do us males get for impregnating females everyday???? I want a job. And, how many females will I have to impregnate daily????
Scholar
#311 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 11:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Stormchaser One
Geez don't you realize PETA wants humans as second class citizens. I applaud PETA on showing there true colors.

How much money do us males get for impregnating females everyday???? I want a job. And, how many females will I have to impregnate daily????

You don't have to impregnant us all xD Artiticial hormones would do the trick.
Mad Poster
#312 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 6:40 PM
You don't have to impregnant us all xD Artiticial hormones would do the trick.

Would that actually work? Doesn't a woman have to have had at least one pregnancy in order to start producing milk?
Mad Poster
#313 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 10:28 PM
Not sure if this is possible, but a friend of mine who doesn't have children became an aunt a few years back. She was spending a lot of time with the baby and she said she was producing milk. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, I don't know.
Mad Poster
#314 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
Not sure if this is possible, but a friend of mine who doesn't have children became an aunt a few years back. She was spending a lot of time with the baby and she said she was producing milk. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, I don't know.

Hmmm... looks like you're right. Wikipedia has a little bit about it:

Milk production can be "artificially" and intentionally obtained in the absence of pregnancy in the woman. It is not necessary that the woman has ever been pregnant, and she can be well in her post-menopausal period. Women who have never been pregnant are sometimes able to induce enough lactation to breastfeed.

I guess the issue might be volume (how many drugs do you have to take to keep the output up)? And if you're going to use drugs, then men could do it, too. Equal-opportunity creepiness! (I mean creepiness with regards to a bunch of humans locked up in a warehouse to produce breast milk for ice cream... not breastfeeding itself.)
Inventor
#315 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 8:19 PM
Most likely, it would be donated milk by mothers who are already breastfeeding. Although, as it is, there are moms who overproduce naturally donating breastmilk to other mom's who are under-producing. It seems that is where the surplus milk would continue to go unless there was some monetary incentive.

There aren't drugs that produce milk, that is counterproductive as drugs taint the breastmilk, but there are certain herbs that can increase milk production safely without affecting the quality of the milk.

Women already use breast pumps to efficiently extract milk for their babes, kept in the fridge or freezer for 3 months, deep freezer for up to 60 months. This is done for many purposes. One is that milk production can be overly abundant the first three months after birth, but due to hormone re-regulation, can dwindle in the next few months, so stocking up is a good idea if you want you child to get the necessary health benefits for the minimum of 1 year. Another reason is because a mom is planning to return to work, but knows breast is best and is stocking up for her work hours. Some moms are lucky enough to have decent bosses who allow them to pump while at work on their breaks so they can keep their supply steady and consistent and avoid infection and clogged ducts from not pumping often enough.
Field Researcher
#316 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 9:10 PM
Actually, you'd likely work for home and get a little package in the mail containing a pump and a sterile colection container, then it gets picked up by a refrigrated truck everyday. Not in a warehouse, but I don't really know.

American Rocker Bomb, similar to an Irish car bomb, take a shot glass and fill it with five hour energy, then take a pint glass and fill it with your choice of energy drink. Drop in the shot glass and chug, then wait for SVT to set in.
Top Secret Researcher
#317 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 5:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
Would that actually work? Doesn't a woman have to have had at least one pregnancy in order to start producing milk?

No, some men even lactate sometimes!
Instructor
#318 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Theory of Everything_SC
Never mind that it is constantly shown that cows don't mind to be milked. Never mind that human breast milk is higher in calories and fat and will be the end of skinny people.

Why don't we just use seal milk? That has about 50% fat. YUM!

(Kidding!)
Mad Poster
#319 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
No, some men even lactate sometimes!

Yeah, but not very much. That ice cream would be very expensive...
Mad Poster
#320 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 4:45 AM
I think that it would depend on ethics if this were even to go through. No detailed process and this debate is moot.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Lab Assistant
#321 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 8:58 PM
In the article they say "Some folks might think that drinking human breast milk is strange … but really, what's even stranger is that humans are the only species on the planet that drinks the milk of another species."

Uhh...surely all mammals only drink the milk of their own mothers? That's a ridiculous argument.

Also, what about the risk of spreading infection? HIV positive mothers can pass the virus onto their babies, to name just one risk. This is a completely bonkers idea.
Instructor
#322 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ciel Noir
Uhh...surely all mammals only drink the milk of their own mothers? That's a ridiculous argument.

Haven't you seen all the cool videos of the kitty or dog moms nourishing puppies or kittens? It happens--apparently maternalness is pretty universal in the mamal arena. And Mowgli--don't forget Mowgli!

When I lived in Wisconsin, there was a story in the paper about a lost hunting dog who was found three weeks later--his tummy full of bear milk. (Tried to find a link but it was about 12 years ago)
Inventor
#323 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grumpy_otter
When I lived in Wisconsin, there was a story in the paper about a lost hunting dog who was found three weeks later--his tummy full of bear milk. (Tried to find a link but it was about 12 years ago)

Really? 1998 I was living in Wisconsin. That story sounds cool.
Scholar
#324 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ciel Noir
Also, what about the risk of spreading infection? HIV positive mothers can pass the virus onto their babies, to name just one risk. This is a completely bonkers idea.

I'm amazed that this is your main reason for objection.
Instructor
#325 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 2:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Purity4
Really? 1998 I was living in Wisconsin. That story sounds cool.

I lived up in the Chequamegon forest --The mecca of snowmobilers and hunters. It was all the hunters could talk of for weeks--and one did show me the print newspaper article--I just can't find it online.

Page 13 of 14