Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 12:05 AM
Default Accents you like and dislike
What are your favorite and least favorite accents/dialects and why?

I've always loved Long Island accents and Californian accents are pretty cool, too.

British accents are annoying and I can't stand Southern accents. (No offense) It's like, a prejudice I have or something. Even though almost all of my dad's side of the family have Southern accents (they live in North Carolina).

Anyway, I LOVE LONG ISLAND ACCENTS.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 1:54 AM
The unintelligent, "hello I'm from Hicksville" Southern accent is indeed annoying, but a bit of a southern drawl is totally sexy. Jensen Ackles, Josh Holloway... it's cute in moderation, but a full-blown Southern accent just sounds uneducated to me. I love French accents (still perfecting mine... I speak the language and yet I can't make my English sound at all French) and I agree about the Long Island accents. Chicago accents can be nice, too, although they can only be distinguished from a typical Midwestern accent by us Midwesterners :D. I'm generally pretty accepting of different speech patterns, as long as a person sounds intelligent.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Field Researcher
#3 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 2:07 AM
ali lohans stupid voice !

seriously, what is up with it !

i really dont like liverpudlian accents, they sound like they need to spit after every sentence. (wonders whether anyone on this forum will know what i'm on about)

Head Of Staff & Writer @ LivingSims Magazine

Interested In Working At LivingSims ? Then Check This Out
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 2:24 AM
Rabid's a fellow Midwesterner? I never woulda thunk it

I don't really mind any accents, unless they are so thick that I can't understand what is being said! A.K.A. British slang!!!

"Valley girl" accents grate on my every nerve. Especially when some suburban Minnesotan high schooler starts talking with a "valley girl" accent, it makes me want to scream *lol*

Formerly known as boolPropped
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 2:37 AM
I like really cultured accents, like Britsh-y ones that speak in perfect King's English. I think that people that change thier accent to make a point are rather impressive, closest I can do is slip into valley girl when I want to be sarcastic.

Also, LOVE Australian accents. And y'alls. Not deep southern drawls, but midatlantic y'alls are awesome.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 2:42 AM
Hrm.

As much as I don't want to be here (South Carolina) and dislike so many aspects of the south, I can start to understand the Yankee hate that's prevalent here when people start equating a southern accent with unintelligence. That's prejudice, plain and simple, and it's annoying. Sure, there are plenty of hicks (or rednecks, which is the colloquial term) from Hicksville, but there are also smart, well-educated people with southern accents. Not that I don't want to leave here the very moment I can. I'm just sayin'.

Inventor
#7 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 3:37 AM
I like Scottish, Irish and some English accents. I find that a lot of American accents really grate on me, but that may also be because most Americans I know, or have heard speak, speak very LOUDLY. The Canadians I know are a little quieter, but I tend to have the same problem with them. Being Australian, I'm also obliged to poke fun at 'New Zulland' accents.

FurryPanda, it's funny that you say that. Do you consciously change the way you speak, or does it just happen? I born and raised here in Australia, but have some Scottish influences in my speech. That element has become less and less pronounced as I've got older, but I find that whenever I'm angry or upset, the Scottish accent and manner of speaking starts to come through again. Serves well as a warning sign for people who know me

Worst accent I've ever come across is that of my cousin's friend. Her mother is a Geordie, her dad's Algerian, she grew up in both Liverpool & Glasgow, and her accent is a conglomeration of all four

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Field Researcher
#8 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 3:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FurryPanda
I like really cultured accents, like Britsh-y ones that speak in perfect King's English.

we call people with those accents 'blue bloods' here in england. i like them too, if you googled 'keeley hawes' or 'nigella lawson' those are classic examples

Head Of Staff & Writer @ LivingSims Magazine

Interested In Working At LivingSims ? Then Check This Out
#9 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 4:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dreamydre15
Anyway, I LOVE LONG ISLAND ACCENTS.

yay! I feel loved! well I used to have a long island accent. I like to think i dont anymore but accents are tricky when you have them. I am from long island and all my family has the thickest long island accents you will evah heeah.

i think accents are hillarious. i think they are cute. i dont really love or hate any particular ones too much. i do like british accents. i sometimes randomly slip into them without knowing...does that sound crazy? i think so...hopefully not the killing kind of crazy there are a few southern accents i dont like but i dont hate all of them. i like the subtle southern drawls and the cajin accent is pretty awesome.
#10 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 4:51 AM
Well i like cockney accents. it is an ab-ser-lute chick magnet, especially when it comes to latin and oriental women.

i would be interested to hear what boolpropped (and some of you also) think when you hear it like HERE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m309bWhYiwE
Field Researcher
#11 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 5:12 AM
I LOVE the Australian and New Zealand accents more than humanly possible.

But Scottish and the Yorkshire accent from Sheffield, UK are close runners-up.

I don't like the Indian, Spanish or French (unless it's Marion Cotillard) English accents. They grate with me for some reason.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 4:32 PM
Nigerian and Jamaican accents.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 5:31 PM
Love:
Scottish
Irish
Australian
South African

Dislike:
American accents - sorry guys! Some are okay, but most just rub me up the wrong way.
French - bad bad bad memories of school, and being stalked by a French guy during my Year 11 (14-15 years of age) trip; he followed me round a section of Paris when we couldn't get into a museum due to a bomb scare. Everywhere I turned he was there leering at me and my friends *shudder*
Scholar
#14 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by humblebumble
Yorkshire accent from Sheffield, UK are close runners-up.

I'm from there :D

I love French, Scottish and Irish accents. Accents I really can't stand... proberbly American. Which is odd because I watch a lot of American TV shows (scrubs, friends, ugly betty) but when its Americans speaking together I don't really notice it. However when I hear Americans speaking among British accents I can't stand it!
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 7:42 PM
I love northern( newcastle, manchester, liverpool... ectt) ecesspically gordies

hate aussie accents... some are cool some just make me want to scream "shut the f** up!"

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Alchemist
#16 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 7:46 PM
I Love Irish accents (Probably because half of my family hail from there ) But i prefer Scottish accents... :D
Theorist
#17 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 7:57 PM
Scottish, for shure, Not the "Boraad" Scottish, The "We don't live on the Border so we don't need our accent to punch you in the face" Type
Along with (Ironically) what I've grown up with (well, Grown, disowned, attempted to regain etc.) [the Accent of the] North York Moors! Its Great to be in a Room with people who are like "SET" accents, (Liverpudlian, Welsh, Chinese! etc.) and then there's mine.. ooooo Yea, I come from 't Hills
Its nice that I can "Do" accents, a Great Skill that the Americans Lost (Hurrah!) and still benefits us today

Canadian Accents are So Much 'soft'er than some 'Harsh' American ones, But I like Essences of American (IYGWIM)

New Zealand Accents = :lovestruc

London/Cockney = HATE.HATE.HATE.
No offense, But Its like a Piece of Wire Devouring and Hooking/Pulling/Ripping on my voice box and Brain, Sawing out my Eyes and Burning the skin in one go..

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Alchemist
#18 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 7:59 PM
I have a canadian teacher at school and he also has a lisp.. Its very hard to understand what he is saying :P
Theorist
#19 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 8:02 PM
Urg, Lisps = HATE also :D
Sorry, But UUUURRRRGGGGGG!!!

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
#20 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 8:03 PM
Love Russian and South African.

Hate Aussie. Far too over the top for me.

Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 8:26 PM
I love Italian and German accents, that is what made me fall for my husband!
Mad Poster
#22 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 8:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PETCHY14
Urg, Lisps = HATE also :D
Sorry, But UUUURRRRGGGGGG!!!

I hate lisps 99% of the time (and feel really bad for saying that because I know they often can't be helped), but there's a guy in my geometry class who has THE cutest lisp ever. It's very understated and he has a deep voice and big puppy dog eyes... it's adorable. And here I am, rambling.

bP, you betcha I'm a Midwesterner :D. Indiana, baby *thumps chest*... home of corn and the infamous McDonald's rap.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 8:39 PM
Oohhh talking of lisp's- i hate stutters. i know they can't help it but this oe person has one and talks to me and i actually can't understand him so he just thinks i ignore him when i nod or say complete the wrong answer

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Forum Resident
#24 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by declandabest
i really dont like liverpudlian accents, they sound like they need to spit after every sentence. (wonders whether anyone on this forum will know what i'm on about)

I totally know what you mean. Most of the people i work with are scousers. I dont hate the accent, i just hate the way some of them do that spitting thing at the end of the sentance. Ugh.

Hm well i dont really like Scottish accents..no offence to anyone but it just annoys me.

Check out my Sims for Download Here :)
Take a Look at my Re-Model's of Houses! Here
Even the best fall down sometimes...
Even the stars refuse to shine...
I somehow find, You and I..Collide...
Test Subject
#25 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 8:49 PM
I like Aussie, Kiwi, Irish and South African accents the best. I don't like or dislike American accents... But I love Southern accents.. aka. Josh Holloway's =P English accents are boring to me because I live there. The posh ones are the worst! No offence to anyone!
Page 1 of 9