Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 9:25 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Clothing Overwriting
I have a strange problem. I downloaded some new clothes and when I looked at them in Bodyshop I noticed that some of my other clothes were missing. Just a couple of dresses, but the same style of dress from both teen and adult. And not all the recolours of the dress, just two. When I decided that I didn't want the new clothes and deleted them, then went back into Bodyshop, my missing dresses were back.

Is it possible for a clothing item to overwrite another one even though they don't have GUIDs or have I reached some sort of clothing limit beyond which I can have no more (the horror, but I do have a lot of clothes)?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 9:44 AM
Clothes don't have GUIDs but they do have instance numbers (they're randomized by Bodyshop), which more or less act like GUIDs and make each piece of clothing unique, so there's a possibility you've stumbled over some clothes with identical instance numbers. I haven't seen it happening, but it's a theory. Maybe check in SimPE to see if they have the same instance number?

It's a little weird that two pieces of clothing disappeared, though. Even if they're in the same set they should have different numbers.

Another possibility is if they have the same name. May happen when people who are really lazy with their file naming use names like "red.package" or some such.

A third option is if the file paths are too long. This can cause clothes to not show up, and it's particularly noticeable on repositoried clothes (I noticed this with one set of clothing where the master files had too long file paths, and the slaved files showed with the right mesh but a naked texture). Probably not the issue with your files, though.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 1:27 PM
The adult ones have the same instance numbers and the teen ones have the same instance numbers, but the ones that did show up have the same numbers as well and every adult outfit seems to have the same instance number. Am I looking in the right place?
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#4 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 3:50 PM
@Charity: As far as I've been able to tell, Body Shop randomizes group numbers in order to make items unique, but generally uses the same instance numbers for specific resources. So, IME, a "body" TXMT will always have an instance (high) number of 0x7FB7C73C.

It is possible, though unlikely, that two items of clothing, made by different creators using different installs, will have the same group numbers. If that happens, the 3IDRs will have the same group numbers, and, as with any other conflict, the game will use the one it sees last. If the most recently installed item is the one the game sees last, the item that was already there will disappear.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Sep 2018 at 9:35 PM
Sorry, I meant the Group number is the "guid" for clothes and accessories, not the Instance. I get those confused sometimes, because they work a little different for objects and CAS items.

The Group number is the same as the number prefix the file gets when Bodyshop puts it in SavedSims after importing to game.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 11:41 AM
Well, now I'm befuddled. I couldn't find any identical group numbers and when I tried again all of the clothes showed up. Random glitch?
Forum Resident
#7 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 12:39 PM
Maybe a glitch in groups.cache?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 12:50 PM
Hmm, possibly. I can't remember if I deleted it or not.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 3:48 PM
I think what I would do in that situation is simply make the clothes again in Bodyshop using the extracted textures - that way you get the game/BS to sort out issues with ID numbers.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 4:54 PM
The thing is, they were clothes I created in Bodyshop already.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 7:02 PM
Oh sorry - I thought you said you'd downloaded them (the new clothes) and they overwrote your older clothes.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Sep 2018 at 4:15 AM
Yes, but I thought you meant remake the older clothes in case they clashed with anything else. I already decided that I didn't want the new clothes.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 30th Sep 2018 at 12:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Yes, but I thought you meant remake the older clothes in case they clashed with anything else. I already decided that I didn't want the new clothes.

Sounds like they just overwrote the original clothes since you said the originals came back once you removed them. I meant that's the strategy I'd use to fix things. They're acting like defaults so it must be something to do with the internal IDs.