Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
1978 gallons of pancake batter
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 11:28 PM
Default Tutorial: Sims 3 Object Modding
The Tutorial

The tutorial is located in the wiki: Tutorial:Sims_3_Object_Moddingwiki

Questions

If you have questions concerning the tutorial, this thread is the place to ask them.

Credits

The tutorial is based on Kolipoki's original object modding tutorial, so kudos to him!

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
6 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#2 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 1:31 PM
Great! That tutorial needed updating.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#3 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 9:33 AM
For some reason, I can't add the mscorlib.dll as a reference, even after checking Do not reference mscorlib.dll.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 11:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cmomoney
For some reason, I can't add the mscorlib.dll as a reference, even after checking Do not reference mscorlib.dll.
That's a known bug in Visual Studio.

Try to untick "Do not reference...", save your project, close and reload Visual Studio and then try to tick it again. If that doesn't help, delete the project and start a new one.

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#5 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 4:16 PM
Tried your suggestions, but still getting the same error: 'This component is already referenced by the build system'.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Field Researcher
#6 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 4:15 PM
I have encountered the same error in my work as well. I have the new VS 2010.

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#7 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 4:25 PM
Yea, that's what I'm using for the first time. Before now I was using VS 2008.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 4:34 PM
Ok, you might try to edit the .csproj file of the project. Create a new project, save it, set it to .NET 2.0 and save it again, nothing else. Then close VS and open the project folder and the project's .csproj file with a text editor.

Add
Code:
<NoStdLib>true</NoStdLib>
to
Code:
<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Release|AnyCPU' ">
and
Code:
<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Debug|AnyCPU' ">

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#9 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 5:16 PM
That didn't work either.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 6:06 PM
The intarwebz have no solution either. If you want, you can upload an affected project (with "Do not reference..." ticked) and I take a look at it.

Field Researcher
#11 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 11:22 PM
I compiled with the existing mscorlib.dll ref with no issues... maybe it's a "unissue". Seems whatever ref it has is correct.

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ashillion
I compiled with the existing mscorlib.dll ref with no issues... maybe it's a "unissue". Seems whatever ref it has is correct.
Compiling is not the issue. The mscorlib.dll that comes with TS3 doesn't belong to .NET, but to MONO. If you call the wrong code, code the TS3 mscorlib doesn't implement or code that was stripped from it, your assembly won't link and it will be a PITA to debug it.

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#13 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 12:27 AM
When trying to compile I got the system.object error. I just redid the script in 2008. Thanks for you help.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Field Researcher
#14 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 7:15 PM
There is how to translate into Portuguese of Brazil? I do not understand nor able to do. And I would like to create a mod object with the bear, but his image has changed, and when the sims were with him in the inventory option "try for baby" did not appear.
Instructor
#15 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 1:53 AM Last edited by lorenrose1013 : 16th Apr 2011 at 2:57 AM.
Whenever I go to open the 'Gameplay' 'Scripts' or 'Gamecore' packages in S3PE I get an error message. I have Ambitions and Late Night, nothing else, and am patched to 6.2.4 (don't know if this makes a difference, but I put it anyway cuz Late Night seems to have created Modding Issues)

By the way, this is the error I get for each one:
Could not open package:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Late Night\Game\Bin\gameplay.package
Front-end Distribution: 11-0402-0951
Library Distribution: 11-0402-0951
Source: mscorlib
Assembly: mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Late Night\Game\Bin\gameplay.package' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at s3pi.Package.Package.OpenPackage(Int32 APIversion, String PackagePath, Boolean readwrite)

at S3PIDemoFE.MainForm.MainForm_PackageFilenameChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
-----
Test Subject
#17 Old 24th Apr 2011 at 6:41 AM
Good tutorial, but I do not understand=(
Test Subject
#18 Old 22nd May 2011 at 12:14 AM
I was able to figure this one out the hard way. Using VS2008 I created a new project, deleted all references, and set it to .Net 2.0 then saved the solution to the project folder. Closed VS, reopened and then I could import S3 mscorlib.dll. It would appear as though the order of operations is critical.
I haven't tested this on VS2010, but I'm pretty sure it won't work.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#19 Old 22nd May 2011 at 2:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cosmas
I was able to figure this one out the hard way. Using VS2008 I created a new project, deleted all references, and set it to .Net 2.0 then saved the solution to the project folder. Closed VS, reopened and then I could import S3 mscorlib.dll. It would appear as though the order of operations is critical.
I haven't tested this on VS2010, but I'm pretty sure it won't work.

So, what is it exactly that you figured out?

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#20 Old 22nd May 2011 at 4:44 AM
Why I was unable to import mscorlib.dll. That seems to be the major problem these users above describe.

I think what this tutorial needs now is a hand-off to the next section, or maybe the interaction API on the wiki to help new users understand the available actions they can do with this code. That's certainly where I am... I can model, animate, and mod, I just need to tie it all together with code.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#21 Old 22nd May 2011 at 6:11 AM
The problems described above were occurring in VS2010. That's why I went back to '08, because before I didn't have that problem.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#22 Old 22nd May 2011 at 6:31 AM
The tutorial is linking to VS 2010. Prolly that's why everyone who's trying it is having this issue.
Original Poster
#23 Old 22nd May 2011 at 12:41 PM
I was unaware that you need to take the steps to set up the project in a certain order. I can't rule out that I always do it in the same order without thinking about it, though. If anyone is positive about this order and knows the order, feel free to alter the related wiki page. It's outdated anyway.

Quote: Originally posted by Cosmas
I think what this tutorial needs now is a hand-off to the next section, or maybe the interaction API on the wiki to help new users understand the available actions they can do with this code. That's certainly where I am... I can model, animate, and mod, I just need to tie it all together with code.
Hmm, that's actually a pretty big step from a beginner's tutorial. I'm not sure how to cover that.

Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
The tutorial is linking to VS 2010. Prolly that's why everyone who's trying it is having this issue.
I don't see a way to directly link to VS2008.

Alchemist
#24 Old 22nd May 2011 at 2:14 PM
Test Subject
#25 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 1:08 AM
I am seeing a difference in the tutorial where we look at "ScrapPaintingInteraction interaction" via Reflector.

The tutorial shows the class as public "public sealed class ScrapPaintingInteraction : ImmediateInteraction<Sim, Easel>". But looking with Reflection or ISpy it shows up as private "private sealed class ScrapPaintingInteraction : ImmediateInteraction<Sim, Easel>"

Is that a change I should be making when copying existing classes? Or did I miss some step?

Thanks,
3M
Page 1 of 3