Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#351 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Warren Zevon
I really only played it for the animated woohoo mods.

LMAO those mods are so disturbingly entertaining! Like a nightmare straight out of Second Life or IMVU! I LOVE IT! XD

The Receptacle still lives!
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#352 Old 26th Feb 2016 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Grijze Pilion
Also, I'm allergic to vanilla Bridgeport. Anyone know of a good way to erase it from the face of this planet without affecting anything else, like my Bridgeport or the people that play in vanilla Bridgeport but also do good stuff?

Why can't you just play your version? The way I'm set up, every world I play has been edited to my liking and then kept as a save game. Whenever I want to play a new game in a world, I simply start from that save game. I can't remember the last time I bothered to "start" a game from the loading screen by using the world selection panel.

If I install a new world, I would, for that first load, have to enter the world through that pull down panel, but once I start editing it, from that point on I always go with the edited save game. I also have save games of the same worlds with different configurations. For example, I like Coasterboi's Angel City. Looks great and plays well. I have one save game with the edited lots as I prefer, and a different save game where I eliminated the SHT elements for when I don't want them in game (which for me is most of the time, I sorta enjoyed SHT for a while after release, but the repetitive nature of the careers makes me uninterested in them, especially as the singer was my only fave of them, and freaking EA's piss poor programming left the singer dropping audio half the time while the visuals played out, and I'm not into playing silent movies).

I take the same approach with all the other worlds, and even have a few with the "stock" population (not sure why as I never play them) and another version unpopulated waiting to be filled with decent looking sims.
Inventor
#354 Old 26th Feb 2016 at 9:39 AM
Well to that I guess my suggestion would only benefit ts4

I applaud you in reaching gen20 . I could never get that far before I got bored of my family or world and started a new game.

Check out my Simblr
Mad Poster
#355 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 9:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
With the above criteria met, the game can run quite smoothly and on pretty good graphics setting. I've even run with less than that before and never had lag problems, I just had to sacrifice a lot of details and put everything on low.

How'd you get TS3 to work with OBS? Last I checked (and tried for myself), TS3 was incompatible in some weird way. Also, on the topic of smoothness, here's a little gameplay video I recorded a few days back.

This was actually on my secondary PC, so I wasn't using a RAMdisk and some of my CC was missing, but that's pretty much how I also play on the ol' main PC. Oh, and the game runs a stable 60 pretty much all of the time, but this save is old and cluttered.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#356 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 10:19 AM
People who dislike open world or CASt almost always turn out to be Gwyneth Paltrow lurking the internet, hoping to lure children into her gingerbread house to grind their bones up and add it to some $400 kale smoothie.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Mad Poster
#357 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 11:25 AM Last edited by Grijze Pilion : 28th Feb 2016 at 12:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
People who dislike [...]CASt

I'm not sure those actually exist. Like, you can hate TS3 all you want, but you can't hate CASt for being what it is - the best goddamn tool Sim builders and furnishers have ever gotten.

Also - I get an article about a chicken burger when I Google Gwyneth Paltrow. Who cares if a celebrity eats a thing and Instagrams the hell out of it?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#358 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 12:05 PM
The only thing CASt had going against it was how it could lag like Gwyneth Paltrow when she hasn't had her evening dose of freshly squeezed chia seed and kitten juice and she runs out of energy chasing a plump child in her $9,000 hand woven Cherokee hair sandals. But poor programming aside, you could customise furniture, clothing, sims' appearances and a lot of the building tools. The loss of CASt represents Sims 4's biggest issue quite nicely: That instead of working towards improving something, they'd rather just cut it out and be done with it.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Mad Poster
#359 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 12:31 PM
The only thing CASt had going against it was how it could lag like Gwyneth Paltrow when she hasn't had her evening dose of freshly squeezed chia seed and kitten juice and she runs out of energy chasing a plump child in her $9,000 hand woven Cherokee hair sandals.

That's not CASt's problem, that's the game engine being a turd. I've come to realise that if TS3 were 64 bit, lag shouldn't be any issue whatsoever on both of my PCs. At the end of that video I posted, TS3 was using 3.6 gigabytes of RAM, which is more than it can safely use, and less than it needs to run smoothly.

insert signature here
Scholar
#360 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 1:30 PM
Yes, Sims 3's second biggest problem was the garbage engine and programming that resulted in a game with heavy lag and a need for a beefed up computer. On that we can all agree with, just like how we can all agree that the worst thing was goddamn horseshit curfews on teenagers. I do sincerely think which ever EA worker implemented that should be mercilessly beaten with a studded $900 whale skin belt as featured on Gwyneth Paltrow's weekly lifestlye magazine Goop, probably.

Quote: Originally posted by VentusMatt
Something like this, the districts are still big but since they are cut off from the rest of the world there is less strain on the system. I think this would of been a good in between. If ts3/4 was like this I would love it.

Sort of like Urbz. That type of design would especially benefit city worlds, where we could remove, add and construct districts on our own accord, sort of like an easier CAW. I do prefer open worlds, but this would've been better than what we got.

Inventor
#361 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 1:45 PM
I don't know it the urbz is a good example considering each district was only one lot but yes something like it but much bigger would of been good.

Also why all the Gwyneth jabs?

Check out my Simblr
Scholar
#362 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 2:34 PM
Well, Urbz-esque in that each district had its own unique character. But on a scale of a few city blocks rather than just a rapey abandoned concourse in a subway station. That area was like if your sim got addicted to heroin and became a crust punk. Sticks with you, like when Gwyneth Paltrow used to break into your family's terrace home and personally burns you with one of her slave-picked hemp pube tobacco rollers made from an original piece of the U.S. Constitution attached to a $90 cigarette holder made from the ivory of a baby elephant.

Top Secret Researcher
#363 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 2:39 PM
Wasn't TS2 the first one with the districts. Yes. the districts weren't open, but they worked extremely well. TS3 world design made it hard to integrade different districts, but there's "NRass traveler" mod, wich partially enables districts.

I don't se why couldn't they make TS4 in such way.

EDIT: TS1 had districts too. I just remembered. They weren't editable, though.
Mad Poster
#364 Old 28th Feb 2016 at 4:04 PM
Sticks with you, like when Gwyneth Paltrow used to break into your family's terrace home and personally burns you with one of her slave-picked hemp pube tobacco rollers made from an original piece of the U.S. Constitution attached to a $90 cigarette holder made from the ivory of a baby elephant.

Go on...

insert signature here
Scholar
#365 Old 29th Feb 2016 at 12:35 AM
Gwynie, she...she...

Top Secret Researcher
#367 Old 29th Feb 2016 at 10:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Well, TS2 districts are really just a whole new world/neighborhood. They just call it a district, they could call it a new town.

TS2 districts are connected towns. And you have full creative/gameplay control over any of the districts. Districts also had specialization ( downtown, vacation, university, or whatever you want to make out of them) That's what made TS2 good. The only thing I find lacking in TS2 is that districts are not open. Everything else is a marvelous world design.

Also, TS2 towns are not big enough to be called towns. I call them districts, because they are part of your main hood, and all of them make one big town.
Theorist
#368 Old 8th Mar 2016 at 12:07 AM Last edited by tangie0906 : 8th Mar 2016 at 1:13 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by VentusMatt
To focus on the specific question "Is open world good or bad for my gaming experience with the sims?" I would say yes but it needs to be done better.

When I originally heard that ts4 was going to have districts I thought that the worlds would be about the same size as the worlds in ts3 but broken up into smaller areas.

Something like this, the districts are still big but since they are cut off from the rest of the world there is less strain on the system. I think this would of been a good in between. If ts3/4 was like this I would love it.

EDIT: This would also help with the empty lot issue that made the world feel empty since the game would force sims to be in active district rather then all over the world.

I honestly believe that if they had set out to create a "normal" Sims game, that this is exactly what they would have done. But since it started out as a hybrid game with an online social game component (I guess with a scaled down "freeplay" option), IMO TS4 is what they cobbled together with the leftovers. It's very, very disappointing.

But even if they had decided to make a closed lot game again like in TS2, I could have lived with it if the game had been as fully featured and packed with details as TS2 was. I would have preferred that they tone the cartoony vibe way down, but that said, there is an extremely wide range of things they COULD have done that I could have lived with. Sadly, for me, what they came out with is definitely not among them.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Test Subject
#369 Old 13th Mar 2016 at 6:48 AM
Default My two cents on why Sims 4 is the best and the worst
Origin just gave me a survey on Sims 4 that asked how likely I would be to recommend the game to a friend (I gave it a 7 on a scale of 1-10.) and it had a text box for additional comments. Because I've been giving the topic some thought, (and because I'm on my fourth glass of wine tonight ,) I decided to let Origin know how I feel about this situation. I thought I would share what I said and see what you guys think.

"I really do love this game, and have spent several hundred hours playing it. In many ways, it improves upon the engine and mechanics of the previous games. The controls, menus, AI, animations, graphics, response times, and loading times are amazingly better than previous Sims games. I feel this is the first Sims game that is easily playable without too much frustration. However, the content is severely lacking, and both EPs have been highly unsatisfying, especially considering the precedent previous Sims games have set for EPs that are truly worth the price tag. Sims 3 Supernatural gave us an entire world of new creatures; Sims 3 Pets gave us the ability to build menageries and spend hours customizing the perfect pet. Sims 4 Get Together gave us some interesting Build/Buy objects and the ability to have strange, stunted interactions with some mostly bland NPCs in unsatisfying social clubs. To me, clubs or social groups seem like a minor feature of an EP about something else (like the Nerds/Jocks/Rebels in S3 University Life.) I was fairly satisfied with the Tudor-themed town and objects, but the other features were things I tried once or twice, got bored, and gave up. I had a similar experience with Get to Work. I tried out the three new careers with three different sims, got bored with each, made a shop or two, got frustrated with the agonizingly slow sales/store maintenence process, and gave up. Considering that I mainly play the game to enjoy building houses and creating families to fill them, the thing I want the most out of an EP is something that significantly expands the scope of what you can create. For me, not a single piece of content released for Sims 4 has truly lived up to that expectation. If it weren't the fact that this game was built to easily install and accomodate mods and cc, I probably would have rated it a 5. I hope that in the next 3 or 4 years, enough content is released to make the game truly satisfying, but I also feel that I shouldn't have to wait a few years before I can feel completely satisfied with a game I should have absolutely loved."
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#370 Old 13th Mar 2016 at 10:16 AM
Merging with existing thread.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#371 Old 13th Mar 2016 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Merging with existing thread.

My apologies for posting in the wrong place
Theorist
#372 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SarahAutumn9
My apologies for posting in the wrong place

I don't know where your thread was originally posted, but I doubt that you really posted in the "wrong place". There's just a lot of TS4 fans (and MTS mods) who aren't interested in reading members' reviews, critiques, or analyses of this game so they created a dumping ground for these kinds of posts. It's really nothing personal.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Forum Resident
#373 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 5:56 PM
Sims 1 and Sims 2 are at a tie for my favorite. I love the first one because of the nostalgia, and also because it seemed to have a bit of charm that later games (*cough TS3 *cough cough*) didn't seem to have. And I love the second because it added SO much to the game while still managing to keep the goofy humor that the first game mastered so well.

Honestly, TS3 is my least favorite. I just find it so boring. Even with the couple EPs I have for it (Generations and Ambitions) installed, I get bored of it really fast. I think it's because they kind of abandoned the silliness that made the first 2 so outstanding to opt for a more realistic approach. I just find it so ironic that the game that was supposedly adding "personality" ended up having the most boring, lifeless gameplay of the series. I installed it on my laptop to give it another go recently, but quickly uninstalled it after getting bored after maybe a few hours of gameplay.

As for TS4, I honestly don't hate it as much as everybody else does. As much as the endless SPs with very little content and the omission of important things like toddlers annoy me, I still manage to enjoy the game. TS4 seemed to fix exactly what bothered me about TS4: the boring sims and gameplay. The sims finally have real personality. No more lifeless sims that occasionally do something pertaining to a personality trait they have before snapping back into robot mode, or sims that don't react to their environment (the moodlets is the only way of knowing how they're feeling). You can always just look at a sim's expression or their mannerisms and know how they're feeling, and I love it. It brings the game to life. Also, I love what the GPs and EPs brought. The clubs in Get Together are so much fun to fuck around with, and I enjoy going to work with my sims. I even just built a 50s diner for my sim to manage with the new GP installed

So yeah, I guess in order from best to worst, it would be TS1/TS2, TS4, and TS3 for me.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#374 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 11:29 PM
Today, I played Sims 1, Sims 2, Sims 3 and Sims 4 in the same day. Anyone else done that?
Scholar
#375 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 4:37 PM
These few weeks TS4 has got full attention, I've fallen in love with it, I'm not so bothered what it hasn't got, it what's it's has got, keeps me hooked. For anyone who gave up in game a year or two ago, it's worth a second try, and so glad I did, for others that think they have seen it all in only 5mins of gameplay, I pity them, missing out on the most immersive sims game to date, today I feel I'm in the game, and not just a speculator in front of the computer playing god.
Page 15 of 20