Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2012 at 10:46 PM
Default Easter Eggs and Random Happenings
Have you ever had one of those strange phonecalls in Sims 1? Your sim will take an hour to walk across the room to answer it and then the caller will say something bizarre, like 'Do you canoe?'

Another one I had once was a phonecall to tell me my sim had won the lottery, and one million simoleons was credited to his bank account. Then five minutes later another phonecall said that it was a mistake, and the one million was taken away! Now, 'rosebud' would take a long time to make that back up.

Also, if you play the same household for 100 days, you get a little pop up, and a 'Did you know' everyday thereafter. I managed to get the pop up a couple of times, but I must confess I got so fed up of the 'Did you know's that I cancelled them after a few days. Did anyone ever manage to put up with them long enough to find out anything amazing, and to count how many there were?

Have any of you had any unusual things happen in-game? Have you spotted anything that others may not have? Let us know, with pictures if you like!
Screenshots
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Jul 2012 at 11:34 PM
Moral of the story? If someone credits $1,000,000 to your bank account, spend it in the next 5 minutes.

Did you ever climb the beanpole, SimSample?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Inventor
#3 Old 18th Jul 2012 at 12:22 AM
I love Maxis humour. xD I have a terrible memory, so have nothing to contribute, and this is OT, but I only just noticed that your avatar blinks, simsample. 0.0
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Jul 2012 at 12:35 AM
Ah yes, the giant Will Wright!

@Saturnfly- No, it's your imagination- he doesn't blink.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th Jul 2012 at 6:01 AM
I believe I read all those "Did you know" pop-ups in the Roomies' house; cancelled it everywhere else, and eventually ran out of them. They were all about the people on the original creative team, who did what and who thought of what. One of the easel pictures was a developer's wedding photo. Other than that, I remember none of it.

The buy catalog had a lot of Beatles references.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#6 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 6:30 PM Last edited by Phoeberg : 20th Jul 2012 at 6:41 PM.
Very similar to simsample's story about the lottery, when I was playing the Snooty Patooty family (one of the ones Maxis created and you could download from the website) today, this happened:

You don't get a chance to spend the money at all sadly!

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Field Researcher
#7 Old 1st Aug 2012 at 1:39 PM
I did not know about "did you know"! I haven't played same family that long. But now I have new kind of motivation since I got so fed up trying to get magic bean sprout that would actually grow to sleeping Will. I tried to get that sprout for 74 sim days. 74! My yard is filled with crystals, magic flowers, roots and magic

When I was a kid I once got sleeping giant on my sim's back yard. I didn't have a clue where all of the sudden he came from and he wouldn't go away. When I hovered my mouse over the giant it said "Will Wright". Eventually I got so sick of the snoring yard conqueror so I deleted whole family. Nowadays I realized it must have been a bug and I deleted Will Wright! What kind of sims player am I?!
Theorist
#8 Old 1st Aug 2012 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gelis
I did not know about "did you know"! I haven't played same family that long. But now I have new kind of motivation since I got so fed up trying to get magic bean sprout that would actually grow to sleeping Will. I tried to get that sprout for 74 sim days. 74! My yard is filled with crystals, magic flowers, roots and magic

I spent ages trying to get that too. Eventually I got bored and gave up.

You get some very sinister phone messages in TS1:

I remember when I was younger one of my sims got that last message and she picked up the phone next time it rang; she was electrocuted and died!

Scholar
#9 Old 3rd Aug 2012 at 1:42 PM
Please, someone answer me a question that my friends and I have been wondering for many years. What do those creepy phone calls mean? Some say nothing, others say it means you'll be robbed. So, anything?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd Aug 2012 at 3:43 PM
As far as I could tell, they were just crank calls. I'm surprised they didn't have one about your refrigerator running.

In Sims1 you didn't (or hardly ever) got calls from friends. If the phone rang between 4 and 5 it might be the adoption agency, if it rang within an hour of the time you should have been at work it was the "missed today" call, and if it rang in daylight otherwise there was a good chance it was one of those calls that gave you random benefits, winning money from radio station KSIM or something, so you felt like you had to run to the phone; but then they'd throw in the crank calls after dark and once in awhile during the day so you wouldn't always know whether you needed to break your sim's neck running to pick up.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#11 Old 3rd Aug 2012 at 4:31 PM
That's it, after reading all this, I installing The Sims right now, I have the complete collection but played it only once and then had to uninstall due to lack of HD space needed for other stuff.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Aug 2012 at 5:16 PM
I remembered two more:

Notice the Loch Ness monster at the bottom of the image, near to the 'Sims' sign!

Strange picture of Will Wright, from the load screen when you put your disc in.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#13 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 12:03 AM
I downloaded a family from the Exchange and it had been played for 100 days so that pop up came up... and then something happened, maybe my computer crashed, and I could never find that family again and I never stuck with one of my own families long enough to see the pop ups again! I'm really tempted to play it now though, just to see if I can get to that point! Is it 100 real life days or 100 sim days, does anyone know?
Theorist
#14 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 12:12 AM
^ It's 100 sim days. I've been trying to reach that too, I want to see all the pop-ups!

Mad Poster
#15 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 2:16 AM
@SimSample - I've never seen that weird picture of Will Wright before. How did you get that?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 4:30 AM
That sea monster also makes a little roaring sound when it surfaces. I loved that thing. Too bad you couldn't see it swim past from any of the water-edged lots.

Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#17 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 4:51 AM
I haven't played this game for so long, but I remember that it was full of Easter Eggs and most of them aren't discovered by me yet :D
I wonder how it's possible to get that giant Will Wright too, did you get it from magic beans or something?

Also, anyone remembers the dragon eggs from Makin' Magic? I had few eggs and a dragon once, but never actually figured out the use of them. They just kept burning my house down :D

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Mad Poster
#18 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 7:57 AM
The giant Will Wright is at the top of the bean stalk. If your magic Sim performs enough magic frequently enough, the bean stalk will sprout and continue to grow (if the magic is kept up). When it's finally big enough, it's selectable for climbing. Your Sim climbs high above the clouds and finds Will Wright and a large can of beans at the top. The can of beans can be taken and used back at home for more magic spells. I rarely had a Sim that performed enough magic to grow the bean stalk, so when I did, it felt like a big deal.

Yes, I remember the dragon eggs. There was a trick to them: if you raised your dragon correctly, turned the egg the required amount, sang to it, etc... it wouldn't set fire to everything. You could tell based on the color of something, but now I forget what. Was it the color of the dragon that hatched? Anyway, even the nicest dragons became a drag because they loved to eat daffodils and other flowers. There was a hack, someplace, of daffodils that would not be eaten by the dragons. Typically, I never kept them for very long because I found them annoying. The whole process of guarding the egg was fun from time to time and the dragons were useful for collecting scales and tears, but then I'd get bored with keeping up with their needs and their flower-eating ways.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 4:02 PM
I got the Goths a dragon, but never could get the scales and tears from it.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 4:09 PM
Huh? I wonder, maybe there was something not right with it? I think I remember that child had to do the combing to get the scales from it. I don't remember how to get the tears, but it happened somehow. You didn't get goodies all the time from it, not like the fairy toy chest, which gave you fairy dust almost every time your Sim child played there.

Forum Resident
#21 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 5:00 PM Last edited by Tempscire : 10th Aug 2012 at 5:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I don't remember how to get the tears, but it happened somehow.

By tickling the dragon.

(Sounds like a euphemism, don't it.)

Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
@SimSample - I've never seen that weird picture of Will Wright before. How did you get that?

Basically by clicking the lower left corner of the loading screen (where you have the options for selecting resolution or say quit and whatever). There's a piece section off by a curved line; that's where you click. I want to say it was added with the Vacation pack, but maybe not.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 7:17 PM
Thanks for that, Tempscrire! I love that I've played the game all these years and still don't know everything about it