Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 2:16 PM
Default Converting Clothes to Accessories
Hello guys.

I have a slight problem. For weeks now, I've been trying to create clothes using Marvelous Designer, Milkshape, Blender and etc and I have finally succeeded. They all look good in-game, for now I am not experiencing any problems with the pieces themselves or the game.

The thing is that I have one idea of creating a jacket/ vest and converting it as an accessory but I have no idea how to do that. I tried following the same process as with the regular clothing creation and then in TSWR just changing the Part Category but it doesn't work and as I can gather from other threads and forums, you cannot just do that as there are some comments to copy and etc. (I won't go into details because the info wasn't very consistent). So then I tried searching for a tutorial on how to do that but all I could find is this one - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=430831. There are two things with that - the pictures don't work and I am more of a visual person when it comes to learning something new and second - I am not exactly sure that this tutorial will help me convert clothes to accessories as it is focused primarily on basic accessories as rings, bracelets and etc (again, I am not sure I am right at all as this is my first try to doing accessories at all).

Also, I found a similar thread where one of the replies was to use a top as a reference for the bones and morphs is Mesh Toolkit, then make the accessory, after that find a similar jacket accessory (custom made) and replace the mesh and textures and that's it. But I have no idea what does "make the accessory" mean in terms of steps in Milkshape, Blender or other programs.

So I would really appreciate it if anyone could help with a little guidance or tips on how to do this.
Thank you very much.
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 8:05 PM
Okay so, say you want to change the ' clothing flag' to accessory in TSRW, things will go terribly wrong with your textures. The game will think that the clothing is actually, well, a top. So when your sim is wearing your clothing>acc and also wearing a, let's say top, the game will still think it's clothing, even though it's flagged as accessory.

'But what will happen to the textures if you do it this way?'

Your textures will overlap the top textures, so that means... you have 2 different textures overlapping your jacket. So I wouldn't even try that out. I've been there.

I would have followed exactly this tutorial. Since it includes an explanation about morphs. There is no Base game compatible accessory that has a morph. The only accessory that does has one is a Supernatural necklace. (or all necklaces I think... ) So you can also clone one of those if you don't want to work with CTU ^-^

Quote:
Also, I found a similar thread where one of the replies was to use a top as a reference for the bones and morphs is Mesh Toolkit, then make the accessory, after that find a similar jacket accessory (custom made) and replace the mesh and textures and that's it. But I have no idea what does "make the accessory" mean in terms of steps in Milkshape, Blender or other programs.

For the necklace I was talking about, if you want to use these, you definitely need a top reference for the bones to make it function. Else your jacket will stay in this weird T position.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Nov 2016 at 1:17 PM
Hey again and again - thank you for your answer.

I've posted a few threads here before with questions about clothing creation and especially for Marvelous Designer and your replies have been always very helpful. So what I actually do is follow the Marvelous Designer tutorial that I've linked in my previous thread (this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhA...ZgdRaSR&index=5) and instead of following the Milkshape part of it, I follow the one from the link you've sent me from your series. And until now, I've been successful with everything - I've created a basic t-shirt, a hoodie, a dress and my last one was a t-shirt and a vest as one piece of clothing with the vest being bigger and etc. But I wanted to try making the vest as an accessory to see if it fits better and also I don't know why but I am not able to add stencils to the layered piece (maybe because the vest it larger, I don't know).

So I have one question regarding the accessory tutorial ...
Let's say that I want to create a vest as an accessory ... so about the skeleton and comments part of the tutorial, meshes too, so if I want to create the vest as e.g. a ring, I am supposed to use the meshes of the ring and copy its comments into the comments of my design? This is the part that baffles me the most.

Oh and one other question about the bone assignment. With the previous tutorials I've followed and the basic clothing creation, I've used the MeshToolkit to auto create morphs and auto assign bones. So I was wondering if this is what I am supposed to do here too?

Thank you again for your answer.
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 2nd Nov 2016 at 7:12 PM
If you use TSRW, you don't need to do the comments. TSRW will add those when you export it as a wso. it's only needed for GEOM files, which we don't work with if you're using TSRW.

Anyway! Here is actually a step by step on how I would have done this:
- Open TSRW
- Click on clothing
- Select a top mesh that looks like your jacket. (Well any top is okay, but just... make sure you've got a top)
- go to the mesh tab and export the jacket as a WSO.

Now you just want to close TSRW and open a new project (your ring) in TSRW.
Make sure you've got meshtoolkit (It has a geom bone assigner as well bbut since this is mainly about TSRW, i'll use the WSO auto tool)

Make sure you're in the bones tab and use the clothing wso as a reference and your mesh should be.. well your mesh.

- Go to your mesh and import it.

So, since the ring does not have any morphs, it means you got to manually add those when you have exported your project as a Package (which I think I showed somewhere in my exporting video). From there you kinda need to work old-school: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...orphs_Made_Easy
To give yourself just the morphs, well then I would recommend adding the morphs in your WSO file and import it back into Milkshape and just following the tutorial.
So DO MAKE SURE that you have already export the 'only bones' version as a package, THEN add the morphs. Or... just give both a different file name.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Nov 2016 at 10:09 PM
Hi again.

Yes, I was trying to do the manual morph thing as it is also explained in the accessory tutorial but I have a lot of problems with the "morphing of the fat lod" if I can say it like that at all. I guess this is because my model has a lot of vertices maybe because it is made with MD and I cannot seem to scale those to the right position with a fat body, I always end up getting a huge amount of bumps and irregularities ... this is why I was wondering if I can do the morph thing with some tool like automatically (like I've mentioned before I've done that for my previous ordinary clothes (clothes category) in Mesh toolkit) but I guess that doesn't work because (well, I tried of course) when I import the morphed file, I get a message that says something like "wrong number of groups, expected 1, there are 5" - to say, it was pretty much like that.

It is not that I want to do that with TSRW, I just have problems with CTU - when I import all the lods, the 3D window stays blue and there is no "model" loading or textures and etc. This is why I turned to TSRW - when I upload everything including files with bone assignments, textures and etc, it loads my "model" but then I have the morph problem ... so I guess there is no full happiness

Thank you again for your answer. I will try it out immediately.
Oh, I have just one question about it - what do you mean by export the only bones version as a package and then the morphs? Do you mean export those from TSRW and ... by only bones, I guess you mean the model without the morphs? I am sorry I think this is quite the stupid question but wanted to ask anyways?

Thanks again.
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 3rd Nov 2016 at 4:07 PM
That might be the case. I've had that before and it got me quitting the project. So it is common, the problem at least. with MD meshes, it's pretty clear that you do need 2 groups because of the amount of polycount. Else it will get all stretchy and all.

The 'wrong numbers of groups, expected 1, there are 5' means exactly what it says. the ring has only 1 morph- the base morph, and your mesh has all. That's why I would first make a WSO file with only the bones so no morphs, then after exporting it as a package file, add the morphs the old way. Because right now, TSRW won't allow you to have more morphs because it basically works with reference data, and it won't add it's own morphs because of this.

To be fair, I rarely use CTU, only if I use the 'old-way morph adding'. But i'm not sure if it's because you haven't set it up yet (because I had that issue) Or if it's because the mesh is invalid according to CTU: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...signing#3D_View

With the bones, I mean that you export your TSRW file as a package with a mesh with ONLY the bones in it. No morphs. Then, follow this tutorial to edit it in S3PE (since, like I mentioned before, TSRW works with reference data, which means that if a mesh doesn't have any morphs, your mesh shouldn't either. So that's why I would work your way around. I do the same exact thing if I need to ^-^)
The morph tutorial is linked right in my previous reply. So after you exported your package from TSRW, you can follow that tutorial to add the morphs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Nov 2016 at 1:34 AM
Well, I did it ... it took numerous edits and my work folder is full of "try 1-2-3-4 ..." but I finally did it.
I actually used a necklace as my replacement (not sure if I said it right though) as I honestly couldn't see doing the morphs manually on a MD model with so much vertices - I will get to it some day but for now I am trying to do complete one or two things from every category just to see how everything is done. So now that I'm finished with my vest accessory, I'm moving on transparent and lace clothing. With luck, I won't bother anyone in the forum with another question for another one of my creation quests.

Thanks again for your help. )))
Virtual gardener
#8 Old 4th Nov 2016 at 5:23 PM
Do come back if you need any help ^-^ Transparent on clothing can be a pain, but there are some really great tutorials out there. So if you want me to point you to the right direction, do tell me! ^-^
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Nov 2016 at 12:41 PM
Default Transparency
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
Do come back if you need any help ^-^ Transparent on clothing can be a pain, but there are some really great tutorials out there. So if you want me to point you to the right direction, do tell me! ^-^

Hey, I didn't want to create another thread for another question/ problem I have so I've decided to ask my question directly here.
As I mentioned before, I wanted to try creating transparent clothing or at least partially transparent. My idea was to create a skirt and make only a part of it transparent (like close to the knees or let's say in the middle of the skirt itself between actually "textured" parts). I found one tutorial which I think helps - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=447671 - but I am not actually sure how to use it as the example given is quite different than my design and also I've used TSRW to create the skirt.
What I understand is that I have to set CasHairSimple as the shader type for my simgeom (as TSRW doesn't really have simgeom I used S3PE to extract the file because when I load up my model in CAS, my "meshes" button is gray so I cannot actually export those). But from there, I am completely lost as to how to select the part which I would like to be transparent and from there - I am also lost as to how to proceed in general.

So if you could help me by pointing a similar tutorial or absolutely anything that could help me in my quest, I would be really grateful.
Thanks a lot again for your help so far.
Virtual gardener
#10 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by serena91
Hey, I didn't want to create another thread for another question/ problem I have so I've decided to ask my question directly here.
As I mentioned before, I wanted to try creating transparent clothing or at least partially transparent. My idea was to create a skirt and make only a part of it transparent (like close to the knees or let's say in the middle of the skirt itself between actually "textured" parts). I found one tutorial which I think helps - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=447671 - but I am not actually sure how to use it as the example given is quite different than my design and also I've used TSRW to create the skirt.
What I understand is that I have to set CasHairSimple as the shader type for my simgeom (as TSRW doesn't really have simgeom I used S3PE to extract the file because when I load up my model in CAS, my "meshes" button is gray so I cannot actually export those). But from there, I am completely lost as to how to select the part which I would like to be transparent and from there - I am also lost as to how to proceed in general.

So if you could help me by pointing a similar tutorial or absolutely anything that could help me in my quest, I would be really grateful.
Thanks a lot again for your help so far.

Someone once told me that the tutorial was outdated. Though I must admit, this tutorial does shows the very basics of how things works. There is a way to do it with TSRW: http://ikarisims.tumblr.com/post/87...tsheer-clothing

Though warning! In step five, close to this line: "For this make sure you have installed correctly the S3PE plugin for Workshop" You don't want to do this with the 1.72 version. If you got an older version you can.
If you do have version 1.72, You want to export your package first from TSRW (which can be done by going to edit>project content. A window will pop up and now you want to export it.)

In S3PE, open the GEOM file (So the second group that's suppose to be transparent. To know which file it is, you can get this plugin for S3PE Open it with 7zip NOT winrar. WinRAR will corrupt the files within): http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...s/859/index.htm
Then just right click on the GEOM file and click 'view model'. And that will be it.

I've made a tutorial on how to change your shader right here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...456#post5008456
You can use the same shader as shown in the tutorial.