Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2012 at 1:45 AM
Default 3AM and still playing the sims!
The original Sims is the first game that I found myself doing what the title said. The first time was the sweetest and most shocking. It was amazing how 'into' the game I became and lost all track of time.
I found myself doing that occasionally with the Sims 2 and never with the Sims 3. I wonder why the original Sims captured that sense of time and space so well.
Any other 'sim'ilar experiences out there? And does anyone have a theory as to why the original Sims was that way more than the others? Or the converse, why the Sims 3 (in particular) failed to capture my prolonged attention?
(BTW- Don't blame it on age. I was old then and I'm old now!! Started playing in my 40's)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 17th Jul 2012 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
The original Sims is the first game that I found myself doing what the title said. The first time was the sweetest and most shocking. It was amazing how 'into' the game I became and lost all track of time.
I found myself doing that occasionally with the Sims 2 and never with the Sims 3. I wonder why the original Sims captured that sense of time and space so well.
Any other 'sim'ilar experiences out there? And does anyone have a theory as to why the original Sims was that way more than the others? Or the converse, why the Sims 3 (in particular) failed to capture my prolonged attention?
(BTW- Don't blame it on age. I was old then and I'm old now!! Started playing in my 40's)

Sims 3 didn't capture me long either. I only play it occasionally. It's the general look of the sims that killed it for me.
Sims 1 was for me the way you described, as was downloading stuff for it.
I always thoroughly enjoyed the University EP for TS2, and that held my attention in much the same way. I was always so sad when my sims went back to the neighborhood after graduation.
The last sim game that captured me was The Sims Medieval.
Don't know what it is with TS3, but I think it's different things for different people, putting the grotesque freak show sims to the side, the game play is still good, and with the open world, horses, vacations you can explore and 'quest' in, jobs you can actually do etc it really should be a complete winner shouldn't it?
I really can't get 'attached' to any of the freaks though which has left the game feeling a little empty and souless for me. I still buy the EP's but I only ever run them a few times, then give up again till a new EP comes out.
Inventor
#3 Old 18th Jul 2012 at 12:16 AM
Well, for me it's probably the amount of detail put into the game, as well as the endless list of things sims can do.
I love to build, and although TS1 has plenty more architecture limitations than the last two games, I can get lost in the detail and before I know it, 3 hours have passed and I've built several houses lol.

TS1 has a very soap opera-y feel to it as well, even more so with Superstar installed, which is something I love so much. ^^
Field Researcher
#4 Old 18th Jul 2012 at 6:40 AM
The Sims 1 is probably the only one of the series that has gotten me addicted like that before. I don't actually play any of the SIM games that often anymore due to being busy with other things, but when I do play TS1, I usually seem to be playing for hours on end.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th Jul 2012 at 7:27 AM
I used to wake up early, when my ex would get up to go running, and I'd sneak upstairs in the dark and quietly turn on the computer. *sigh* I would dream about that game. I dreamt I was in a neighborhood with all new houses. They were Victorian and had porches. Then I built some like that. I felt like a Sim in the way I moved about my house and filled all my needs. I spent hours trying to figure out how to redesign a lake front home into a mega mansion that would fulfill all of my Simmies' needs. Then I obsessed with how to design themes, like this family who lived outdoors, in nature, with flowers and trees everywhere. They had to have plant names: Herb and Fern and Violet. I can't remember the fourth name, but I'm sure there was another child. I wrote a short story about a family that had a dashund and a reverence for ketchup. Somehow those two facts went together.

It was easier to feel creative in this game.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.