Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 1:45 AM
Default Are there ways for managing obscure downloaded content?
I recently found out I could put things in subfolders within the dowloads folder without it causing an issue. So I've been doing that just so I can keep track of other things. However, there are over 4000 files lingering in my downloads files. Some of multiple recolors by different people for the same hair mesh, things that can't be used due to a lack of a mesh, things that somehow broke, and random glitches like custom hair recolors only showing one type of color (x4) for hair changed by a mirror but showing all 4 colors when creating a fresh Sim. . . The bullcrap goes on and on.

So is there a way I can view sim related content and object related content without loading my game and checking it that way? I really want to scour through my folder and cut out some content that is redundant just to help out my game a bit; perhaps fix some broken things too.

Side question: does it slow down my game if I put content in subfolders within the download folder?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 3:01 AM
Delphy's Download organizer http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...nload_Organiser SimPE and Clean Installer are your tools to help find orphaned meshes and see what is what.

As to the question, if you sub folder too deeply with two many letters it will slow your load times down as does special characters which include gaps in the file name. Use an underscore instead of a gap. Every time the game sees a special character while loading it slows down and goes "what's this.. oh, okay". I've been using a bulk renamer to be rid of things like brackets and gaps. So for example instead of sub foldering like this 'Body_Shop/AdultFemale/CreatorsName/RetroDress' which goes 4 deep, start off with something like Adult_F_Clothes/CretaorsName_RetroDress which is 2 deep.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 3:32 AM
I see. I was mostly just going to place things in one subfolder without going any deeper than that. Like all hairs would be renamed to more practical things just so I can keep track of recolors, then they would all be thrown into the same folder. So M_Peggy20_Mesh and M_Peggy20Blonde, which are a lot easier to verify by looking at the names instead of a messy 02901294812984MH. Though now I know about the brackets and such, I guess that gives me even more incentive to change folder and file names since a lot of them come with [blah]blah by default.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 4:02 AM
If you don't have much cc, like under a few thousand files then one subfolder for each area will probably do. If you have a problem do sort by date and pull out the latest files. I have every single download in it's own folder. My hair folder (which doesn't even yet contain all the hair that I have) has over 4,000 files alone.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
If you don't have much cc, like under a few thousand files then one subfolder for each area will probably do. If you have a problem do sort by date and pull out the latest files. I have every single download in it's own folder. My hair folder (which doesn't even yet contain all the hair that I have) has over 4,000 files alone.

That's what I was planning on doing too, but I figured it would take too much work. So I just settled for the lazier "lump all X together" route. Thanks for the programs by the way, they got most of the problem areas detected quickly. The rest I'll have to deal with manually.