Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 5:07 AM Last edited by Rose Noire : 5th Nov 2017 at 11:12 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Which PC version did I have?!
Okay, I am BRAND NEW to the forum, and thus I am trying to not post anywhere I shouldn't be--apologies if I'm wrong.

So, back around 2008ish I had The Sims 3 for PC for Windows XP. I couldn't find the old CDs at my parents' house, so I bought the Steam version. It is quite different from what I remember! I remember having so many worlds to explore. I remember using the cheat code "rosebud" for unlimited money, rather than "motherlode". I remember a world where it was mostly desert, and there was a poor guy who was always being used as an experiment and there were UFOs to decorate with. I used to just go into house creating mode with ease and spend hours making houses. This Steam version seems a bit more limited. I want to be able to go in and just make buildings with access to everything like that again. (I like to create a virtual copy of my reality and practice decorating for IRL.)

So, where do I start to get to the point where I can have an experience like my old one? What version of the game did I have?! I looked at the forum's topics for what's essential, and I've dug around the internet and this site for answers. I've looked at every expansion (even Google images of the CD/DVD boxes, lol) and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I had.

Thanks for your collective patience.
-Rose Noire :lovestruc
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 5:30 AM
You definitely have The Sims 2. Buy that one. Let me guess, the names of the towns were Pleasantview,Strangetown and Veronaville?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 9:53 AM
The Steam versions of TS3 and its expansions are exactly the same as the Origin/disc versions when it comes to content and gameplay. TS3 was not released until June 2009, the base game only at the time -- the expansion packs came later on. I have to agree, it doesn't sound like TS3 was the game you had in play back then.

The good news is that if you contact an EA customer support agent and can somehow prove that you own TS2, or get a sympathetic agent "on the line," then you may be granted the TS2 Ultimate Collection free of charge by way of Origin. The UC was never and is not actually offered for sale anywhere.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 11:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Akro Gema
You definitely have The Sims 2. Buy that one. Let me guess, the names of the towns were Pleasantview,Strangetown and Veronaville?

Looked up Sims2 Strangetown and you're right! Haha, can't believe I was so silly. Thank you for your time!
-RN
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
The Steam versions of TS3 and its expansions are exactly the same as the Origin/disc versions when it comes to content and gameplay. TS3 was not released until June 2009, the base game only at the time -- the expansion packs came later on. I have to agree, it doesn't sound like TS3 was the game you had in play back then.

The good news is that if you contact an EA customer support agent and can somehow prove that you own TS2, or get a sympathetic agent "on the line," then you may be granted the TS2 Ultimate Collection free of charge by way of Origin. The UC was never and is not actually offered for sale anywhere.

Thank you so much for your time! I hope I can gather enough evidence as well. Do you know if there's a freeplay-type mode in The Sims3? I seriously just want to be able to make houses with unlimited options and cash.
-RN
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rose Noire
Thank you so much for your time! I hope I can gather enough evidence as well. Do you know if there's a freeplay-type mode in The Sims3? I seriously just want to be able to make houses with unlimited options and cash.
-RN

I'm not entirely sure what this means, sorry. You can use TS3 as a lot design tool by entering Edit Town, then Build/Buy on lots from there, and design lots from scratch or edit existing ones with no limits on the value of the resulting creations. And there is a freerelestate cheat that allows sims in-game to live anywhere you want them to without them needing to have the funds to buy the houses first. Is this what you are looking for?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Nov 2017 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I'm not entirely sure what this means, sorry. You can use TS3 as a lot design tool by entering Edit Town, then Build/Buy on lots from there, and design lots from scratch or edit existing ones with no limits on the value of the resulting creations. And there is a freerelestate cheat that allows sims in-game to live anywhere you want them to without them needing to have the funds to buy the houses first. Is this what you are looking for?

Yes, that is what I'm looking for!