Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 8:55 PM
lowering of the snow in front of the door
Evening, playing with seasons, in winter with snow, in front of the door of a house that rests directly on the ground, it creates an annoying lowering of the snow as wide as the door, is there a way to avoid it?
Advertisement
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#3 Old 13th Aug 2018 at 12:33 AM
It's the low level of snow that surrounds doors outside when the general snow level is high.
I don't think you can do anything about it, unless there's a mod out there to change the snow value around doors or something.

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Aug 2018 at 10:36 PM
ok I see the pictures, as soon as winter returns in the game, it's probably like TheSweetToddler says
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Aug 2018 at 4:47 AM
I've noticed this but it never annoyed me because there is no way for sims to get stuck inside/snowed in due to drifting snow or need to shovel out a path to the street, though that would be interesting. So the door does have to open. My take on it is that buildings and (apparently) doors generate a certain amount of heat, thus the area immediately around a door wouldn't be likely to allow the accumulation to stay without melting.

I've lived far enough north to know that's not really how it works, but in Sims games the Laws of Cartoon Physics tend to apply.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Aug 2018 at 4:34 PM Last edited by Zamira : 15th Aug 2018 at 4:50 PM.
I'm back I found a screenshot, and I happen in a game where I play, then I'll put a roof over the door, thanks for the advice

I can not load the screenshot

Ah I would have another problem, I wanted to put the base low, the one only 1 step high to be clear, inside a room partition of the house, but do not let me put, why?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
You're talking about platforms? If you're running into problems putting platforms, it is because you have doors or full-wallsize windows (or furniture if you didn't clear them). You must remove those, lay the platforms first, then put the door/windows back on with moveobjects on.

I'm talking about platforms, so I had already tried but do not let me put, maybe I have to delete the top floor?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 4:22 PM
I hate that so much. I tried extending the roof way over the door and it didn't help.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 7:12 PM
You're talking about platforms? If you're running into problems putting platforms, it is because you have doors or full-wallsize windows (or furniture if you didn't clear them). You must remove those, lay the platforms first, then put the door/windows back on with moveobjects on.

today I tried again, it worked I managed to put platforms thanks
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tysika
I hate that so much. I tried extending the roof way over the door and it didn't help.

I did not solve it like this
I try again to put screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 7:17 PM
[IMG][/IMG]
Quote: Originally posted by Zamira
I did not solve it like this
I try again to put screenshots

in front of the door there is a carpet
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 7:46 PM
I like how there's a whole thread here, but no one's posted any images to show what we're talking about.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I like how there's a whole thread here, but no one's posted any images to show what we're talking about.

I published it now, yesterday I could not load directly, I had to put it on external site and post the link, and I also had to do other things, I apologize for the delay
dodgy builder
#17 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 3:24 AM
Having snow all the way to the door is not practical. People will try to remove it. Some people might even have heating infront of the door, others will probably only showel it away.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 6:07 PM
Funny thing is that I never noticed this issue until you brought it up. Now I notice it all the time hahaha.

But so far it only occurs on my community lot as I am not accustomed to have doors flat out on the wall like that on residential lots. First time I ever seen such housing is in the east coast (USA) and I absolutely hated it.

So that is done to prevent art clipping b/c the snow can get quite thick. If there is a mod which changes this, then you'll see clipping when the door opens etc...

The most common way is to build a "door bay," which is what is most common where I live. Usually there's a bay area around the door instead of the door flat out against the wall. In the screenshot above, simply move the door/wall 1 block back. Doorbays in combination with foundations, etc... it doesn't prevent it, but foundations don't collect snow afaik, though it does have frost.

Extending the roof... is questionable. I'm not fully keen on the dynamics of the roof. I only know if it is extended far enough to have an actual tile block, then it will work. But just merely have it visually over the area may not be enough. The same can be said with using deco objects canopy etc... I'm not sure, but most of them don't seem to block whether effect, either snow or rain. The only real way is to have actual ceiling above it, like a door bay.

Now experimentally, if you're just doing this for storytelling and screenshots, where the door doesn't need to be functional. Using the transmogrifier to copy the script from wall windows to the door should solve this. The door will function like a window and windows do not have this snow issue.

Hello, thanks for the answers, I will do as you said nitromon, build a "door bay", as you suggested, as the door serves me working, is the main door of a house where my family lives active sims