Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#11251 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 12:26 AM
I discovered that trash cans and mail boxes can be placed on the porch!

Sims are better than us.
Advertisement
Scholar
#11252 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 2:08 AM
1. Just "learned" how to rotate the grid in caw. Always saw it, knew exactly what it did, completely forgot about it every time I actually needed it and abandoned several worlds.
2. http://one-plumbbob.tumblr.com/ has some pretty nice coastal looking shells in their world "Newark Banks". These are the ones I selected and am currently editing and frankensteining into another world.
Screenshots
#11253 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 3:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by skydome
In Simlish?

Nah it was like the menu music, not the radio music.
Mad Poster
#11254 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 3:41 AM
I discovered today that when I upload my TS3 gameplay to YouTube without cutting the copyrighted music out, YouTube won't really care that I use 5 copyrighted songs in 6 minutes. My theory is that EA has some sort of an agreement with YouTube because I remember Simmers having issues with copyright at one point, and Graham saying they were working with YouTube to prevent copyright strikes on Sims videos.

Then again, I didn't take my 80s-themed playlist out when transferring back to the 21st century; if I had, this video probably wouldn't have made it past the filters.

Now of course, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be cautious. But there's a degree of lenience, and I for one applaud it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#11255 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 4:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HCAC
Just as a compliment, I love your doors and walls in this house....are they CC? Maybe you just have a nice graphics card!

Thank you. I do have a pretty nice graphics card, but I can take no credit for the house. It was built by Norn for a new world we are working on, called Petlandia Village, which we hope will be out in August or September. It is not cc, just masterful CASting of either base game or Pets walls and door. Definitely check out her downloads (http://www.modthesims.info/m/386327) . She is amazing!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Test Subject
#11256 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 9:21 AM
Sorry that this isn't exactly Sims 3, but I jut found out Sunset Valley is a real town in Texas. :O
Theorist
#11257 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 3:49 PM
When a Sim organizes a successful protest, apparently there is a "result?" I never knew...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Mad Poster
#11258 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 4:43 AM
Two things:

First, the magic gnome you get in Shang Simla can meditate. The thing is levitating in my Sims' living room now.

Secondly, if your Sim is having a mid-life crisis, they can pony up $2000 for therapy at the hospital.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Scholar
#11259 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 9:01 AM
After three of my sims died I added the Grim Reaper to the family and just for laughs I made him pregnant with himself and gave him triplets using the pregnancy controller and I found out that he produces some beautiful offspring. He had 2 boys and a girl. The girl for some reason was born with orange skin while the boys are dark skinned. Here are some pictures of them working out at the gym.
Screenshots
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#11260 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 9:40 AM
^^ This with the caveat that it will probably break your current game beyond repair in the long run.
Scholar
#11261 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 10:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
^^ This with the caveat that it will probably break your current game beyond repair in the long run.

If it ever happens then it's not a big deal to me. I don't mind reinstalling and starting from scratch again. I'm not attached to my sim families enough to even be concerned if that ever happens besides I mainly did that just to find out if Grim has good genes which he does.
Scholar
#11262 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 12:08 PM
Usually when you put the grim reaper in your house a new NPC grim reaper gets generated.
Theorist
#11263 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 4:01 PM
The Grim has always (as I recall) made lovely kids. Wasn't that a thing in Sims 2? The children he had usually were gorgeous.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#11264 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 8:26 PM
Unless one uses a mod that changes the genetics of game-spawned Sim the Grim Reaper has the same face like every newly-generated Sim, I'm afraid. All sliders set to 0.
Scholar
#11265 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 9:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HCAC
The Grim has always (as I recall) made lovely kids. Wasn't that a thing in Sims 2? The children he had usually were gorgeous.

I would love to test that out but i'm afraid of corrupting my game because you're not supposed to do anything with the universal NPCs otherwise it would mess your whole game up and you would have to install everything all over again which would take forever to put all the codes in and install if you have all the expansions and stuff packs installed unless you have the Ultimate Collection which installs all the expansions and stuff packs for you without you swapping out discs,putting all the codes in and waitting as for all the discs to install one by one. On Sims 3 however the Grim Reaper isn't programmed like that which is why I feel more confident testing out his genetics. If anybody could explain why that happens then I would appreciate it.
Site Helper
#11266 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 1:11 AM
In Sims 2, the Grim Reaper, the Repo Man, Mrs. Crumplebottom, and the other universal NPCs are not actually sims at all. They are objects. Messing with them will corrupt your objects file in the game files, because that is where they are stored.
But keeping a backup copy of the objects file to drop in if you've done something like getting pregnant by the Grim Reaper, or gotten Mrs. Crumplebottom eaten by a cowplant, (and making the file read-only to keep the game from writing to it) leaves you freer to experiment.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Scholar
#11267 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 1:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
In Sims 2, the Grim Reaper, the Repo Man, Mrs. Crumplebottom, and the other universal NPCs are not actually sims at all. They are objects. Messing with them will corrupt your objects file in the game files, because that is where they are stored.
But keeping a backup copy of the objects file to drop in if you've done something like getting pregnant by the Grim Reaper, or gotten Mrs. Crumplebottom eaten by a cowplant, (and making the file read-only to keep the game from writing to it) leaves you freer to experiment.

Thanks for the clarification. What exactly does changing the object file to read-only do and why are they considered objects in Sims 2 if they're actually sims but for some reason they're put into the objects file while other npcs generate in your characters folder and yet they corrupt your game if you play around with them? I never really understood that but I guess that's just the way they were programmed.
Site Helper
#11268 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 4:37 PM
First: I cannot explain EA's programming decisions. (Other than there are obviously times when one team has no idea what another team is doing, even when they are working on the same game...) I suppose the theory behind putting the universal sims in objects was that having them in the objects file would allow a different set of townies for the various neighborhoods without having to put the universal ones in the list. And then, if (when) they decided to add another universal, you wouldn't need to update all your saved games with a new townie list. But I'm not sure that everybody was in on that discussion.

For a normal sim, having something happen to them in the active household is supposed to carry over to the "real" sim in their own household. (Up to, and including, "This sim has died on another lot." So things that would affect the sim (like becoming a parent, dying, becoming a vampire, making a friend or an enemy, etc.) get written to their file. Including the sims who are supposed to exist in every neighborhood without having things like friends, children, enemies, or life-state changes. If you make the file read-only, when the game tries to write to it the OS says "Nope! Sorry, that's not allowed." (And then the game then says "Oh. Ok." and gets back to work so that in THIS neighborhood the Grim Reaper can father half a dozen children without having him be a dad to non-existent children in all your other neighborhoods.)

Note: the read-only attribute doesn't always stick. Keeping the backup of the objects files is also important.

And, in case anybody needs to know how to do it: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._file_Read-Only

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Scholar
#11269 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 6:07 PM
Oh now I understand that a little better although I still don't get how they got that bright idea to put some of the npcs into the objects file.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11270 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
Oh now I understand that a little better although I still don't get how they got that bright idea to put some of the npcs into the objects file.

Well, they are universal, so they are identical in each neighbourhood/ game. And they have very specific scripted behaviour (think of Mrs Crumplebottom) so don't act like ordinary sims. And since, when the basegame was released, EA planned to make expansion packs and update the code, they thought it best to keep the character information for these universal sims in the game data files, as opposed to copying it to the userdata files. That was probably a good idea, as that meant whenever I applied a patch to my game or added an EP, the grim reaper continued to work as intended in all of my neighbourhoods.

Also, remember that early on, the number of character files in a neighbourhood was a real concern.
Scholar
#11271 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 8:23 PM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 8th Aug 2018 at 12:42 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Well, they are universal, so they are identical in each neighbourhood/ game. And they have very specific scripted behaviour (think of Mrs Crumplebottom) so don't act like ordinary sims. And since, when the basegame was released, EA planned to make expansion packs and update the code, they thought it best to keep the character information for these universal sims in the game data files, as opposed to copying it to the userdata files. That was probably a good idea, as that meant whenever I applied a patch to my game or added an EP, the grim reaper continued to work as intended in all of my neighbourhoods.

Also, remember that early on, the number of character files in a neighbourhood was a real concern.

Thanks for the information. I think I understand why they had made that decision now that you told me.
Field Researcher
#11272 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 7:25 PM
A few things I discovered. Sims can drop (and break) their Smartphones. There's a townie (???) called Trick Prank in my save. I'm wondering if he's a trickster? Sims can also feel uncomfortable from social interaction and occasionally get a moodlet with the Sims 4 troll icon. Said moodlet hint at a particular Sim acting very off. At high enough police career a Sim can make razzias against the thieves rabbithole. Also the police career occasionally throws in "important evidence at the station" work which makes the Sims work overtime.
During a full moon party (actually masquerade) one of the guests turned into a werewolf and another into a zombie. I kinda expected the werewolf shift. Not that a guest one minute would be normal and the next a zombie. Also during a trip into a tomb I got the mummy lesson. I didn't know the mummy curse could kill a Sim. There was no info how to fix it tho. (I'm also kinda wondering if my 7 and 8 athletic Sims could take down a mummy, or do you need higher? There was no option to fight however.).

Oh and Don Lothario lives in Riverview?
Field Researcher
#11273 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 8:51 PM
If your sim is carrying a drink of any kind (Party, regular, skill gain...), they can get in the hot tub with it. They put it on the corner ledge and take occasional sips from it.
Alchemist
#11274 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 9:08 PM
Sims sometimes leave the toilet seat up :D

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Field Researcher
#11275 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 2:55 PM
This is an interesting tidbit. Apparently, if you have a spa-bath on the second floor, it extends downwards. While annoying, it's nice to see that the developer spent the extra time adding in pumps and stuff below it.
Screenshots
Page 451 of 490