Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 6:27 PM
Default Alien Question & Changing Default Skin to Non-Default
I've been searching for hours, and I can't make this work. I have aliens I created in my game prior to Get to Work. I want to make them real aliens with alien abilities. I know how to do this from another thread and make my alien's current appearance their disguise. What I want to do is have their current appearance the way they look as aliens so their current appearance is what transfers when it comes to genetics because they already look as aliens the way I want them to look. Again, I can keep the appearance as their disguise using one of the mods here, but no matter what I do, the alien appearance is not just colored differently but drastically different from how they are supposed to look. This also applies to the issue of hybrid aliens not having disguise mode as one of my aliens created prior to the expansion has human skin and alien eyes. This sim is one of my favorites and the main issue because I want his alien appearance to keep his regular Sim skin. This is what I'm thinking, but I haven't figured out how to do either thing.

Option A: I prefer this but I don't think anyone's figured out how to do it...just simply make his current appearance his alien appearance with a mod and be able to customize his disguise from there.

Option B: I make him an alien using the method I know and just remake his alien version as close as possible to his current appearance. This is what I've been trying to do, but I need to know how to make normal sim skintones available for aliens. I'd rather just make all the default human options (skins & eyes) available for aliens (preferably not for random aliens) so I can go to CAS edit and fix him the way I want him. Also, if someone could point me in the right direction for converting downloaded default skins to non default skins, I'd appreciate it.

Can someone point me in the right direction for the easiest way to do this?

Thanks for any help!
Trey
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 12:14 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 12th Aug 2015 at 5:36 PM.
I can't help you with option 1 - there's a mod to copy outfits, but it doesn't mention the alien outfit, assuming the alien appearance is handled as an outfit which it may not be as far as I know.

Can't help much with option B either. I'm trying to figure out what makes skintones appear for aliens vs humans, will let you know if I do. Maybe someone else knows. For eyes - any older default replacement eyes that came out before GTW should make the human eyes available for aliens. If you want to use the EA eyes, it's quite easy using CAS Tools:

In the initial screen, click to Clone Game CAS Parts
For Type, select Eye Color
Click the first yfMakeupEyeColor in the list
Select all the colors that appear in the list on the right
At the bottom, change "Select Options" to Default Replacement, then click Clone and save the package.

Switch to the Clone Package Editor tab and open the package you just saved
On the right side, you'll see 'Disabled for:" and the options of Human and Alien. Uncheck Alien.
Click Commit, then Save Package.

Put the package in your mods folder and you should see all the human eyes showing up for aliens. You'll have to remove any other default replacement eyes. Since I had to test anyway, here's the package I made.

Edit: Attachment deleted - will be available in Downloads after more work.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 1:37 AM
Awesome!! Thank you so much! At least I have eyes now....now if somebody could figure out this whole skintone thing. I really hope that someone can fix it where hybrids can have alien abilities and keep their current appearance as their alien one and how to make my guy a hybrid. That would solve my issue. I tried to do add trait OccultAlienPart that was mentioned in another thread but it doesn't really help anything since hybrids don't have abilities, and I can't find the trait anywhere or tell whether it even added it. Even if you coded it for them to have the abilities, it would still mess up the appearance like the alien trait does....Don't know why they didn't think we wouldn't want alien skinned or alien eyed hybrids to be able to have disguises too at least if not the other abilities.

But thanks again for the eyes!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 3:30 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 12th Aug 2015 at 5:36 PM.
Okay, got the skintones working too. There's a list in the TONE with what appear to be some kind of flags, and one of them apparently marks it as valid for aliens. I added that flag to a set of default replacement skintones and have attached the package for you. Remember that these are default replacements for the skin COLORS - they will conflict with any other default replacement skintones/skin colors, but not with default replacements of the skin textures or with custom skin colors.

As for your question about converting default skins to non-defaults - what kind of skins are you talking about? If they're skin colors with or without built-in overlays, you can just use s4pe to change the Instance ID of the TONE resource. You could use pretty much any value, but I'd recommend changing the higher part of the number to hopefully make sure it's unique. (Ex: change 0x0000000000001234 to 0x000000005671234) If they're overlays that appear in the skin details panel like moles or whatever, again you can try changing the Instance ID. If they're the underlying grayscale skin textures that provide the shading and anatomical details for all sims, no one knows yet of a way to make them custom.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 6:25 PM
OMG, I love you! You saved me obsessing about this for days. I'm not really good at modding anything. I'm a mental health counselor with just enough programming training that I can usually eventually figure things out, but it takes me forever.... You've given me hours of my life back (that I desperately need as my graduate program is starting back in a couple weeks) I don't need the conversions really. If I have the default skins available for my aliens, I can make it work. Infinite thanks!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 6:43 PM Last edited by trey13green : 9th Aug 2015 at 6:52 PM. Reason: Adding comment
Found an issue with the skins. It seems to make human skin the default random selection for aliens, as in aliens always have human skin and are never randomly chosen to have alien colors. Is there any easy way to reverse this so they never randomly get human skin and the skins are just available when I need them? So appreciate all your help!

This package, by the way, would probably work great for people who have been saying they don't like the alien colors or want to have elves instead.... You can still use alien colors, they just don't seem to ever get randomly assigned.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#7 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 8:10 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 10th Aug 2015 at 12:14 AM.
I can certainly experiment - I did notice random aliens generated in CAS were coming up with human skin. Whether it can be done depends on whether there's a flag for random in the TONEs. There may well be one since I don't think human sims are randomized with blue or green skin, and that gives me a starting point. Give me a little time to look at it!

Edit: I figured out that the flags in the TONE are the same ones used in CAS parts, which makes everything easier. Also think I've figured out the randomization - have to do more testing. And found what controls the sort order in the swatch display.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 2:28 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 12th Aug 2015 at 5:37 PM.
Done! And this has been educational; I learned useful stuff. I may upload the "Human for Aliens" skins and eyes to the Downloads section after I do some more tweaking for the eyes like sorting them so they don't mix in with the alien eyes.

There are two packages attached to this post. If you install only cmar_HumanSkintonesForAliens.package, both human and alien skintones will be equally random for aliens. Install cmar_noRandomHumanSkintonesForAliens.package IN ADDITION and only the alien skintones will be random for aliens.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 5:00 AM
They work perfect! Can't thank you enough. I never wanted elves but after seeing them in CAS, I might make one now... I would definitely upload the eyes and all three skin packages. Depending on what people want, they are all useful. I'm sure some people would like to eliminate aliens and have elves instead or play the game with both. At least, it gives me a workaround to make hybrid aliens in CAS with the abilities until someone hopefully figures out how to add that trait to already made sims without resetting their genetic appearance. Thanks again!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#10 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 5:41 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 16th Aug 2015 at 6:00 PM.
@trey13green

There may be a problem with the skins - the way I did the human-for-aliens skins, when I tested using the Edit in CAS cheat the sim completely disappeared from my game. (I didn't save and everything was okay.) I know what the problem is and when I eventually release these it'll be fixed, but anyone who downloaded the skins from here should be careful.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 1:28 AM
Okay thanks! I will be watching for the fixed version in downloads.