Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 9:38 PM
Default Replaced .dds files crashes the Game
i'm totally stumped...
as i created my first ts4 cc only the demo was out. After installing the full game i added my demo tested creation to the game and everything seemed normal in CAS.
But after pushing the button for playing a family the full game was crashng. I realized that my added Stuff is the reason for it. Then I read that the files have to be edited before adding to the full game to get it work. I did that and downloaded the actual versions of Color Magic and S4pe as well. i extracted everything new from the game and added only my existing .dds texture to it. After testing ingame, the same result, the game was crashing. to test if its not only my cc that doesnt work, i downloaded other stuff and was shocked, because they were all working without any problems I think i did everything right but there must be a problem with my saved .dds. I saved it as DDX5 interpolated alpha, create mipmaps on. i'm getting crazy already so please
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by -Shady-
i'm totally stumped...
as i created my first ts4 cc only the demo was out. After installing the full game i added my demo tested creation to the game and everything seemed normal in CAS.
But after pushing the button for playing a family the full game was crashng. I realized that my added Stuff is the reason for it. Then I read that the files have to be edited before adding to the full game to get it work. I did that and downloaded the actual versions of Color Magic and S4pe as well. i extracted everything new from the game and added only my existing .dds texture to it. After testing ingame, the same result, the game was crashing. to test if its not only my cc that doesnt work, i downloaded other stuff and was shocked, because they were all working without any problems I think i did everything right but there must be a problem with my saved .dds. I saved it as DDX5 interpolated alpha, create mipmaps on. i'm getting crazy already so please

Ran into the same problem - make sure you save the .dds file in the correct compression format BC3 / DXT5
Test Subject
#3 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 9:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tirick
Ran into the same problem - make sure you save the .dds file in the correct compression format BC3 / DXT5

I'm having the same issue. I tried to save in that format in Photoshop but couldn't find anything for it, I have the Nvidia DDS plugins installed, too, I also updated them and didn't see anything. I tried finding plugins for it in Gimp and couldn't find any plugins that even worked or let me open a DDS file in Gimp. Any idea?
Test Subject
#4 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 10:30 AM
The GIMP dds plugin is here: https://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/ the .tz file inside the download tells you where it (should) go.

I am using GIMP myself, so I know it works, although not natively from explorer, you need to open GIMP then navigate to the file. When you export to .dds format an option box will come up asking what compression type and whether or not to generate mipmaps (you do).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 12:57 PM
i saved it correctly thats the problem. i've tryed several things to find out whats wrong and ended up with the dds file.

Because when i extracted the texture in colormagic and put it into the game "how it is", everything was working. after changing the dds, the game was crashing. maybe i should reinstall the dds plugin but i don't think that's the problem.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 1:15 PM
Make sure that you 'flatten' all the layers on your image in GIMP before trying to export. The plugin interprets layers as Mip levels and the resulting texture ends up pretty screwed up.

You could also try grabbing the old NVIDIA texture viewer:

https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/...iewer_v089b.rar

and seeing how your texture looks in that. You should be able to check the MIP levels (there should be 12 on clothing textures I believe) by pressing the arrow key sideways IIRC.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 1:15 PM
last resort upload your texture somewhere and I'll have a look at it in visual studio to see how it looks.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 5:11 PM Last edited by -Shady- : 5th Sep 2014 at 6:05 PM.
I'm using Photoshop and there is only one layer texture in the .dds file. I'll check the texture viewer and come back when i have news

edit: everything looks normal like in the test.dds. Purple background.
Test Subject
#9 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 8:54 PM
I'm using Photoshop and there is only one layer texture in the .dds file. I'll check the texture viewer and come back when i have news

edit: everything looks normal like in the test.dds. Purple background.

I am using GIMP, but when I had the .dds file compressed 'wrong' it had the purple background. It needs the alpha channel to be clear/transparent.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 9:27 PM Last edited by -Shady- : 5th Sep 2014 at 9:43 PM.
my file has an alpha channel. In S4pe it shows up transparent, but in the Nvidia Texture Viewer a few posts above, the rigth color seems to be purple like in the test dds.
Test Subject
#11 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:26 AM
my file has an alpha channel. In S4pe it shows up transparent, but in the Nvidia Texture Viewer a few posts above, the rigth color seems to be purple like in the test dds.

You need to Export with the following settings with gimp:

compression format: BC3 / DXT5
Mipmaps: Generate Mipmaps

Also make sure ur file is a single layer in gimp as a rule i delete and just regenerate mipmaps
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 4:49 PM
like i wrote in my first post i saved the files exactly like that. But thanks =) And btw i use PS ^^
Test Subject
#13 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 4:52 PM
like i wrote in my first post i saved the files exactly like that. But thanks =) And btw i use PS ^^
yea i tried using PS with mine i got CS6 with the new DDS plugin but its not saving them right i only got them working through gimp n it took me all day to figure that bit out what it was crashing lol was my mipmaps arent right through PS

though youll know it worked if you can see the preview of the texture in S4PE
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:20 PM
that sounds interesting. Im using PS cs6 too. When it saves the image not right, then i can try another older version.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 9:24 PM
-Shady- the file you PM'd me was in the correct format (DXT5) but it had no mip maps. If GIMP isn't generating them correctly for you for whatever reason you could try using the Nvidia Texture Tool, I think that has an option to generate mip maps. If not the directX texture tool definitely does.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 10:03 PM
Ok problem solved. It seems to be a bug with PS cs6, like I supposed. I installed an older version of PS and saved my textures again and now the game is no more crashing. Now I feel good, because it was not my mistake ;D