Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#526 Old 18th Sep 2015 at 6:22 PM
Just came back from watching American Ultra
Very fun movie- 8.5/10, maybe 9. Basically almost equally as awesome as That Man From U.N.C.L.E
Advertisement
Instructor
#527 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 5:38 AM
We watched "The Departed" (again) tonight while we ate dinner. I've seen that movie so many times I've lost track of how many times exactly. I'll give it a 10/10 until I have all the best lines memorized, then it'll be 9/10 because of predictability. Love it.

Directed by Martin Scorsese. Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin, Vera Farmiga. Killer Soundtracks.
Mad Poster
#528 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 4:41 AM
Dr. Zhivago - 9/10 Another one of those movies I should have seen a long time ago, but didn't (well, not true, technically- I saw it when I was like 6... but have you ever met a 6-year old who'd actually appreciate a movie like that?) I was definitely impressed. I can see why it's such an enduring work, even if it does get a touch predictable through... well, most of it at this point. I knocked a point off because the complete lack of Russian (and the plethora of British) accents was annoying.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Theorist
#529 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Dr. Zhivago - 9/10 Another one of those movies I should have seen a long time ago, but didn't (well, not true, technically- I saw it when I was like 6... but have you ever met a 6-year old who'd actually appreciate a movie like that?) I was definitely impressed. I can see why it's such an enduring work, even if it does get a touch predictable through... well, most of it at this point. I knocked a point off because the complete lack of Russian (and the plethora of British) accents was annoying.

I agree with the critics that the plot is...unlikely, to say the least. In a country as vast as Russia, we are led to believe that these several people meet up repeatedly over a time span of several decades, by chance and usually under the most trying of circumstances. It's just not believable or in any way realistic.
This movie, like the novel it is based on, was promoted by political interests who wanted to embarrass the USSR, simple as that.
It has some epic scenes and the music is beautiful, but overall it's overrated.
No more than 5/10 from me.
Test Subject
#530 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 7:01 AM
Hitman: Agent 47 - In theatre

3/10 Was worse than the original and, like most game-to-movie projects, didn't do justice to its fans. Also I was disappointed with the lack of Timothy Olyphant.

My other accounts: Tumblr | Steam | TSR
Test Subject
#531 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 12:05 AM
Sleepy Hollow - Old - Horror/Comedy/Mystery/Historical/Tim Burton

7/10

I'm actually ashamed to say how much I enjoyed watching it when for the past fifteen(+) years Burton's Depp-featuring Dark 'n' Quirky TM stuff has been so overplayed, and this was likely the film that kicked that streak off. But it was really fun.
Mad Poster
#532 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 7:03 AM
The Martian - 9/10

While, like most book-to-movie adaptations, the book was better (I loved that book), this movie was still definitely well worth the time and money I spent on it! My only real critiques are that it didn't explain the science behind certain elements well enough (although, knowing the basics of that science myself, I really can't think of a good way to explain that on film without it sounding like a PBS documentary...), and that they left out a few parts of the book that were particularly entertaining, in my opinion. Still lots of fun though, and I really really hope it gets more people excited by the prospect of humanity visiting the Red Planet in the near future!

(oh, and there was plenty of disco! )

Mad Poster
#533 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 3:54 PM
Toys (1992)
An underrated gem in Robin Williams' career, the story centers around the adult children of the late Kenneth Zevo of Zevo Toys, Leslie (Robin Williams) and Alsatia (Joan Cusack) and the fact their uncle decides to do a complete overhaul and add war toys, which Kenneth was against. But to restore order, their militaristic cousin (LL Cool J) sides with Leslie and Alsatia to restore the glory that was Zevo Toys.

My favorite gag is the Barrel of Laughs toy Kenneth was buried with. They return to the monument to still hear it playing and Leslie quips "Those are some good batteries"

This underrated gem got its ranking because it was competing against much more successful films.

Still, if you wanted to see Robin Williams work with the subject matter (including a rousing speech he gives to the remaining Zevo toys before he and Alsatia let them loose again their uncle's playthings of mass destruction) This is a great movie and the aesthetics are just full of whimsy.

Funny quips, story was a dramedy, fun to watch if you enjoy Robin Williams' rapid fire improv.

PS. During Mork and Mindy's run, Robin Williams' part of the script was left blank so he could improvise

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#534 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 5:31 AM
Elsa & Fred - a love story about two elderly people 7.5/10 Starring Shirley MacLaine and Christopher Plummer. Cute story with a few adorable, touching moments sprinkled within. Perhaps the MacLaine character was a little too predictably quirky, but still an enjoyable character.
Scholar
#535 Old 7th Oct 2015 at 12:49 PM
Trick 'R Treat (2007).

Not really that scary, but I'd say it deserves to be on every movie list for a Halloween night. Nice mix of dark comedy, has a great creepy atmosphere, and even a little side story that gets to you. It involves five different stories taking place on Halloween night which are interwoven, a trope I've not always been a big fan of but found the movie did well.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Scholar
#536 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 10:59 PM
Boy Wonder (2010)
7/10 I didn't intend to watch this movie, I was going to watch something else, but the track pad was being silly. There violence in it, but its not too bad, some parts are dull (pretty sure its intentional). But that ending though, like I knew it'd happen, but I didn't think it'd actually happen. Main character lives up to the name "boy wonder".

Nice soundtrack too
Mad Poster
#537 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 8:44 AM
The Story of Luke 6.5/10 was interesting, enough to keep me watching it despite some inconsistencies. The story is about a young man with autism who had been living with his grandparents and his grandmother dies. He and his grandfather are taken into the home of a cousin who has a wife who doesn't want the burden of caring for him and two teens who, at first, talk about him in his presence and refer to him as "retarded". Luke has goals - - to get out on his own and "get his shit together". He is well played, even if he doesn't resemble anyone I've met with autism so far. How Luke approaches his goals and is aided by others and how he slowly changes the attitudes of those around him is compelling and hopeful. Overall, I liked it.
Alchemist
#538 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 10:29 AM
Tomorrowland: A World Beyond (2015) - 7/10
She's Funny That Way (2014) - 4/10
Man Up (2015) - 5/10
Terminator Genisys (2015) - 7/10
Beaches (1988) - 5/10
Unexpected (2015) - 5/10
Rhymes for Young Ghouls (2013) - 6/10
Inception (2010) - 6/10
The Rewrite (2014) - 2/10
The Omen (1976) - 2/10
Fantastic Four (2015) - 1/10

Whatever people consider to be normal, it never is.
My Simblr
My Youtube
Theorist
#539 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 1:07 PM
You didn't like The Omen? It's a classic. I'll have to watch it again sometime.
Alchemist
#540 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob

Yeah we did not like the Omen it was pretty boring and predictable but we did like it when the guy got his head cut off by glass lol

Whatever people consider to be normal, it never is.
My Simblr
My Youtube
Theorist
#541 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HEAVEN-SENT
Yeah we did not like the Omen it was pretty boring and predictable but we did like it when the guy got his head cut off by glass lol

Do you read the writeups at IMDb? It says there were quite a number of odd accidents that occurred during the making of this movie. It also says the actor who played the character that gets decapitated never watched the scene.
It's been many years since I watched it, so I wouldn't want to to rate it right now. It's possible I remember it being better than it actually was.
Mad Poster
#542 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 11:07 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 13th Oct 2015 at 11:18 PM.
Opportunity Knocks (1990)
Dana Carvey plays a con man named Eddie Farrell who works his way to the top of a corporation and later is given advice to not target the boss, but the boss's daughter, a doctor at a clinic, into getting sensitive information about him through her. So he romances the daughter and by the time he is in love to the point of wanting to marry her, he gets tied in his previous affair because his partner, Louie, was getting a beating and the boss wanted his money.

I forgot how it followed up, but the end is a modestly pleasing twist.

For you SNL fans, he reprises his George Bush Sr. role in an attempt to get two employees playing hooky. Another talent displayed by Mr. Carvey, is singing as he sings at a karaoke bar.

The movie displays his talents of vocal nature at its most appropriate moments in the film's progress, and although the reception was mild for this film, he will surprise first timers to this film, but like many movies I watch, it's usually the underrated or mildly-received that hold a spot in my heart.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#543 Old 22nd Oct 2015 at 8:20 AM Last edited by RoseCity : 22nd Oct 2015 at 4:37 PM.
Crimson Peak - Horror - 2015 - 7/10

The story is batshit crazy, but if you like beautifully creepy visuals you might enjoy this.
I'm not opposed to gore in films, but some of the gore here was beyond gratuitous and hurt the film imo.
The actors were excellent and I think they're what kept this from going completely off the rails.
Mia Wasikowska's dresses are gorgeous.
Mad Poster
#544 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 1:20 AM
Can we just take a moment and appreciate that, whatever predictions you may have for the new Star Wars movie, they did the trailers perfectly? They get people excited, have fun call-backs to the original trilogy, introduce new unknowns, but still give away NOTHING of the plot! Trailers recently have gotten far too spoiler-happy!

Scholar
#545 Old 25th Oct 2015 at 2:29 AM
Chef (2014) - 9/10

I've been a big fan of Jon Favreau's work ever since the first time I watched Zathura. That movie just made me so excited with how cleverly it managed to avoid ever feeling dull or repetitive despite the restrictions the story created. A full length movie with a cast of literally 6 people, that all takes place in one house. And yet you never feel constrained by it. You never feel bored of the setting or the characters. You're not even aware of it until the credits start rolling and you see the hilariously short cast list.

In some ways this movie does a similar trick. You do spend a lot of time with a small portion of the cast in a small space. But a much bigger similarity between the two movies is how much life they have in them. Chef just oozes energy and passion and it isn't afraid to care about things. And that kind of spirit is exactly what I love about Jon Favreau's movies. They have heart. And energy. And they make you feel good. You feel good when you're watching them, and you feel good afterwards. Or at least, I do.

So yeah, thanks Netflix for sending this one my way. It was exactly what I needed tonight.

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Scholar
#546 Old 25th Oct 2015 at 8:10 PM
Gravity: 4/10

A couple of good parts, but mostly way overdone. Predictable, and the main character was nnoying as hell.
Instructor
#547 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 8:20 AM
Cleopatra(1963).

I give it a 6.5 out of 10, it's not a complete disaster, but it's not that good either and you can tell the script was having to be thrown together on the day by the director at some points in the movie and it should have felt a lot more epic considering that adjusted for inflation it is one of the most costly movies ever made. Oddly enough I think Liz Taylor and Rex Harison had more onscreen chemistry then she and Richard Burton did, and yet she and Harison were not getting along behind the scenes, talk about weird. The second half of the movie is also a huge drag with lots of over the top yelling and oddly for a movie that is as long as this one is it feels like there are scenes missing and characters actions and motivations are left unclear. it's like the movie expects you to know the history of these events to follow the story but then at times it shows things that never happened in the real history. Still it is one of the best looking movies I have ever seen and the score is great, so it is not a total loss, it is just really hard to get through in one sitting and I am someone who has no problem with the extended cuts of any of Peter Jackson's films and can watch the whole of The Ten Commandments without a problem, so I have no idea how a normal modern viewer would feel about this film.

Still as I said there are good parts, it's just it can take a while to get to each one and they don't always make sense. A mixed bag that nearly killed Fox with it's out of control costs.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Instructor
#548 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 8:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob

Yeah and it has Patrick Troughton in a scene with Gregory Peck, I can't really ask for more from a horror movie and I don't really like horror movies that much.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Theorist
#549 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 6:46 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 24th Jan 2022 at 5:58 AM.
I may have mentioned previously that I'm not much of a movie goer.
So there are bunches of movies going back three decades that I've never seen. Stuff that everyone says is "must see". Yawn.
I've been aware that Goodwill (the thrift store) sells VHS movies for 25 cents, so the other day I stopped in and got 11, for a total cost of $2.75. Sure, for 25 cents I'll watch a movie that in all probability I won't like, so what the hell.
I've watched three of them so far.

The Matrix (1999) - VHS; Sci-Fi
3.0/10
I actually did see this back in 2001, in a motel while visiting L.A., but I thought I'd take another look at it to see if I could glean any redeeming qualities - nope. I really don't see what the big deal is about this. I can definitely see why some people feel Keanu Reeves is an idiot. This does have an interesting political message, my interpretation of which is the exact opposite of what most messages have said online.

The Hunt for Red October (1998) - VHS, Drama
2.5/10
Tom Clancy novel, evil Russians, CIA outsmarts everyone, blah, blah, blah...predictable garbage is predictable.

The Big Lebowski (1998) - VHS; Comedy
2.5/10
Jeff Bridges' attempt at dead-pan, dry, stoner humor doesn't come off. With the exception of one or two lines, it simply isn't funny. The plot is asinine. I don't understand how these "stars" get paid millions and live in $30 million mansions in California. I guess that's why so many idiots go to Hollywood to try to become actors. Some of those idiots make it.

I also watched Quest for Fire again last night, a VHS tape I've had for a number of years.
Quest for Fire (1981) - VHS; Drama
9.0/10
I think this was the third time I watched this, and this time I noticed that the character played by Ron Perlman (spelling?) never gets any. By any I mean sex. He tries, but the blond character seems to get all the action. The story and locations where they filmed are great and it has many funny parts. Caveman/woman relationships, especially those involving which are pretty much limited to sex, are funny hilarious (but you have to pay attention because there is no dialogue).
Theorist
#550 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 3:42 PM
I just watched this amazing Japanese movie called 24 Eyes made in 1954. It is about a progressive, modern teacher in a rural area of Japan from about 1928-1940 something. She sees her young students grow up and fears for their futures, particularly the boys who all want to go to serve in WW II. Through out the teacher recalls these kids as they age as innocents and as their lives changes, she cries for them. I've never seen a Japanese movie with so much crying! It seemed very "atypically" Japanese. 9/10.(It is a very long move, nearly 3 hours--currently running on Hulu if you are interested).

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Page 22 of 38