Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 5:18 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Weather is stuck on "cloudy skies" But says its sunny?
This isn't a game breaker, but rather annoying, because it gets very dreary.But it has been 4 sim weeks now and the sun never shines.Thinking it was just the world I was in, I tried a new save, and to no avail.
I made a copy of my user file(The Sims 3 folder) and backed it up and then deleted it from the electronics folder.Started the game with No mods in it it, no saved games.And still am having this issue.I even went as far as uninstalling my game completely, clearing my computer's cache and then restarting the pc, and reinstalling.Any ideas?

Steps I've taking:
1.Tried a new save.
2.Tried a new town, including ea worlds.
3.Tried a vanilla user folder.
4.Uninstalled my game completely and reinstalled.

Mods I use:
Most of NRAAS Mods.
Bluejetsu autonmous romance mods
Shimrod's townies out on the town mod.

CC Used: None.

Link to Dxdiag: https://pastebin.com/YtyrQM8Z

Screenie of what my skies look like
https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...837&oe=5BEB8F59

Note: I wasn't sure whether this is considered a bug or not.If this is in the wrong catagory, could a mod move it for me?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 6:06 AM
You have dual graphics. Have you at some point, especially after the reinstall, used the Nvidia Control Panel to set up a profile for TS3.exe (Patch 1.69) or TS3w.exe (Patch 1.67), arranged for vertical sync to cap the fps rate, specified that the High Performance Card is to be used, and verified that the game is actually using the Nvidia card? I can't say for sure if the game using the Intel instead would prevent the sun from ever shining, but it's bound to not perform as well as the intended GTX 1050Ti.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 1:28 PM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
You have dual graphics. Have you at some point, especially after the reinstall, used the Nvidia Control Panel to set up a profile for TS3.exe (Patch 1.69) or TS3w.exe (Patch 1.67), arranged for vertical sync to cap the fps rate, specified that the High Performance Card is to be used, and verified that the game is actually using the Nvidia card? I can't say for sure if the game using the Intel instead would prevent the sun from ever shining, but it's bound to not perform as well as the intended GTX 1050Ti.

I have.It is set to to the GTX 1050 ti, v-sync is turned on and is also forced on with Nvidia inspector as well.That is the first thing I did.
I then made sure my graphics card was recognized as well.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I find this hard to believe it is GPU related... more like a game problem. primarily because if the weakness of the GPU is the issue, then it would "always be sunny" since that requires no additional weather graphics.

I suggest downloading NRAAS Tempest and then manually set the weather to sunny to "test" if your game can even do sunny.

I downloaded tempest but I'm not sure what to do, I'm under weather and then new entry, but there's no options to set it.I took the mod out.
I tried testingcheatsenabled true and shift click on ground change to sunny, but the weather is already sunny...according to the game.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 10:31 PM
The "randomizeclouds" mod will fix it, at least for the current session. Try setting it to 0; "randomizeclouds 0".

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 12:05 AM
Change it to rain and then back to sunny.

Just tried that as well.

Then I changed it to rain exited an re-entered, changed it to sunny, exited and re-entered to no avail.
Also tried disabling weather, then re-enabling.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 6:07 AM
That IS puzzling...

Edit: You probably tried it, but in case you didn't.
Go to settings.
Go to weather. Disable all the weather effects. Then disable all the weathers except summer.

Just went and tried that.I disabled them all except summer to no avail.
Tried again and exited out of game, cleared the game's cache and back in again.Still none.
https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...837&oe=5BEB8F59
This is how it looks.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#13 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 8:45 AM
Have you already tried the mod to which simsample linked? This allows you in-game to toggle the various sky stages that exist in the game regardless of weather. If I understand this correctly, these stages are independent of and have already existed before Seasons and the game usually cycles through them per pre-defined intervals and with varying probability. You seem to be stuck in one.

If you hadn't reinstalled and already tried the clean folder approach, I would have said that you have a mod somewhere that sets the sky _ini files to permanently "Overcast" or even "Heavy Overcast".

Could you perhaps post a picture from a world we all know and that uses the default settings, like Sunset Valley, from the - absolutely - clean folder, and make sure that you don't have any default replacement of Sunset Valley, like ellacharmed's fixed version, in place?
And before you take the screenshot, load Sunset Valley several times from the main menu, because - I think ever since Ambitions - the game starts a fresh game from a random sky stage, so it's not guaranteed that the game starts with the supposed Clear sky.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 8:47 PM
Remember also that overriding the basegame inis could affect this. If that's the issue then you'd have to copy the original ini files from the install disc.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 9:00 PM
Following along what Igazor was saying, have you tried running the game on your Intel HD instead? I highly doubt it is a graphical issue, but it is always good to rule it out by running on a 2nd GPU.

But isn't my gtx 1050 better than Intel? Wouldn't the game run worse on it? Its worth a shot though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Remember also that overriding the basegame inis could affect this. If that's the issue then you'd have to copy the original ini files from the install disc.

I don't have any discs for my games, all digital.And my laptop doesn't have a disc drive(can't watch dvds etc on laptop)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 9:03 PM Last edited by Lighthouses : 28th Jun 2018 at 9:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
Have you already tried the mod to which simsample linked? This allows you in-game to toggle the various sky stages that exist in the game regardless of weather. If I understand this correctly, these stages are independent of and have already existed before Seasons and the game usually cycles through them per pre-defined intervals and with varying probability. You seem to be stuck in one.

If you hadn't reinstalled and already tried the clean folder approach, I would have said that you have a mod somewhere that sets the sky _ini files to permanently "Overcast" or even "Heavy Overcast".

Could you perhaps post a picture from a world we all know and that uses the default settings, like Sunset Valley, from the - absolutely - clean folder, and make sure that you don't have any default replacement of Sunset Valley, like ellacharmed's fixed version, in place?
And before you take the screenshot, load Sunset Valley several times from the main menu, because - I think ever since Ambitions - the game starts a fresh game from a random sky stage, so it's not guaranteed that the game starts with the supposed Clear sky.

I have tried a clean install, but I will give this ago and post a pic.Let me back up my files.
I couldn't find the "Cloud randomizer mod"

Update: Tried the time/weather changer mod, clicked overcast and then clear.Nothing happened still the same.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lighthouses
I don't have any discs for my games, all digital.And my laptop doesn't have a disc drive(can't watch dvds etc on laptop)

Oh even better then; just repair your install. Remember to backup any changes you made to your installation files.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#19 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lighthouses
(...)
Update: Tried the time/weather changer mod, clicked overcast and then clear.Nothing happened still the same.
Yes, the Clear in that mod doesn't mean clear sky, it means clear whatever setting you chose to the first one that you got when loading the town. That's why I suggested to start several times in order to see whether you get other weather patterns. Does the sky at least change if you chose the other options, like heavy overcast or stormy, or whatever they are named?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
Yes, the Clear in that mod doesn't mean clear sky, it means clear whatever setting you chose to the first one that you got when loading the town. That's why I suggested to start several times in order to see whether you get other weather patterns. Does the sky at least change if you chose the other options, like heavy overcast or stormy, or whatever they are named?

Yeah, the skies change with the other options.
https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...c4f&oe=5BB22481
Loaded Island Paradise 4 or 5 times.This is what the game says is sunny.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 3:33 AM
It is not about which one is better or worse. It is about trying different GPU from different vendors. As I've said earlier, I highly doubt GPU is the problem, but we should rule it out.

I went and tried that, and it didn't work unfortunately, just made my game extremely laggy LOL.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 12:40 AM
I'm starting to think its something with my graphics card, because now things aren't loading.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...b19&oe=5BA2EB98