Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 6:23 PM
Default making a new default taxi
I have cloned the lightweight taxi (LN) and yet still, even in overrides, my new Checker Cab fails to show. How do I make my new cab show up?

I also would like to know if there's a way to make the cab sims call default to a different version too.

Thank you!
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 12:41 AM
Were you want it to show up?

Cars can be replaced with a texture and mesh, just keep in mind you can not change colors on them, unless you want it one color permanent wich can be done with the overlay.
For some reason the game will always switch back to the original colors used on a car.

The LN London cab i did i textured/colored on the overlay in order to keep it black(same with the San Francisco cablecar)
You can download one of those files if you like to make sure you have a decent replacement package.
http://www.bloomsbase.net/index.php...ory/12-vehicles
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 1:56 AM
Hi, I want the game to use my checker cab instead of its ugly modern cab.

however, I did put your London cab in with a recolour on the overlay to make it yellow, it does look appropriately 1948 (an era I'm using for film noir machinima),but not being able to get my own cab to work is vexing me.

If you wouldn't mind, perhaps cloning your cab and replacing with my own mesh might be the ticket.

Here is your cab in yellow (Not happy with the taxi sign, I'm going to replace that with a fare sign)

Thank you!
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 3:32 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 22nd Jun 2013 at 3:56 AM.
You can not clone it because it needs to stay a replacement.(this might have been your problem, clone without renumber ticked!)
Just use my file for your checkered one.
People can only install one at the time anyway.

However, you do need to update the wheel offset wich isn't the easiest thing(unless you all assigne them to the 001 joint, then they dont rotate.)
When creating replacements i clone with S3OC and edit with TSRW.
Clone any object with TSRW
When done open up project contents and delete all files, use shift for a quick delete all
Then import the replacement package you created with s3OC(or mine)
Edit watever you like, when done export as package again under project contents.
Recompress the files in the package with s3PE!

I think i once started the checker as NL cab aswell, got to look...
edit, i have a WRK file with that kinda car(lower polygon without checkers....if you want it)
Its not as cab but as normal car, still alot of work on it.
I also have the high polygon one, but 16000 is way to high for the cab(there driving so many arround in towns..)
The one in the screenshot is 4000, still alot higher then the original cab but acceptable imo.
I also created a UFO once as replacement for the normal taxi so i know it is possible.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 6:34 AM Last edited by reinmag : 22nd Jun 2013 at 6:57 AM.
that cab/car would be amazing. I have all the textures and signs to 'Checker it up'. I also have a very high poly one, but no way would I try to have dozens of them in the game. Looks nice though, I'm going to use it as a prop.

I think I understand what to do now. I've never edited files in project contents, but makes sense, and is a faster way to do it.

edit:
here is my checker work in progress, but it's too high poly, I have another one, too, the one that didn't default, but I think it's still over 4000

(ignore the chrome, I experimented and it didn't work)
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 7:02 PM
ye, i have that one too.
Cool to have as a car but not very wize to make it replace the NL taxi.
Want me to have a go with the NL cab?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 9:50 PM
it would be awesome. I am sure a lot of people would love to have it.
Let me know if you need any Checker textures.
I tried again with a lower poly version I have but it still didn't show up. I cloned (not renumbered), deleted everything in the contents, imported the package I had made that was renumbered. Perhaps I need to remake it all again with the new, not-renumbered clone?

yes, I'm vexed, but each time I run into problems, I learn more. So I keep reminding myself it's all good. And it's a hobby.
(must...

remind...
self)
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 10:00 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 23rd Jun 2013 at 10:30 PM.
i asked earlier, were you expected it to show up?
It will only popup in towns and there will be alot.
The small spaceship i once did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BarDHfBk26Q

Has nothing to do with the taxi that picks sims up at a lot, just to make sure

Ill make a package that you can edit.
Biggest problem/issue/work is the rotation of the wheels because vehicles RIGs are not the easiest ones to edit(to change wheel axis offset.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 2:02 AM
i wanted it to be the LN spawner (since EA thinks even a town with 15 sims needs 72 taxis, and filming a period machinima and having a modern cab zoom by... ya, PITA).

I think for the spawn cabs, I'd set the wheels to joint 1.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 2:18 AM
ill create a file that you can use
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 2:26 AM
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 4:21 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 24th Jun 2013 at 4:31 AM.
Here you go
The car aint finished yet but the basic setup is there.
I made a sign that works on the roof for the extra group.
Has 3 meshes(high/med and low while shadow meshes are from medium/low/low)

Things that needs to be done are:
normals on chrome grille+black stripes on grille
Some detail like the checkers.
I included a working package and the WRK file from TSRW.
If you work on it make sure you export as package, do NOT export as sims3pack!!
Recompress with s3PE!!
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/81...bhpkxpixfms.mp4
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  checker.7z (553.6 KB, 250 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 6:40 AM
holy crap it looks fantastic already.
Fingers crossed I can do it justice.

What's a sims3pack?
(joking lol)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 11:23 PM
I GOT IT!!!!!!!!! I took the mesh apart and made new groups, then remapped. I'm not entirely happy with the grill, but i think it looks okay in game.

now, people are asking if I can share, I told them I needed to ask you.
Sockpuppet
#15 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 3:29 AM
looks good to me
Only wats with the chrome molding arround the windows?

You can upload/share it, or i put it on my site aswell?
Just inform people that the original is just like 7 or 800 polygons, this one alot more
Although i doubt if it will cause any lag.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 28th Jun 2013 at 9:53 PM
Ya, Something funky with the chrome. I thought it was light reflecting at first, but it's not.
Also, I need to redo the wheels again as I watched it wiggle down one of the roads.

Nearly there, though!
Sockpuppet
#17 Old 29th Jun 2013 at 12:13 AM
you want em rotating?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 29th Jun 2013 at 6:34 AM
I had it, but there's a wiggle I don't like with or without the rotation.
I'm going to try it in an EA world in case it's something in Los Aniegos.
Sockpuppet
#19 Old 29th Jun 2013 at 2:03 PM
oh, it might need to be fixed due Pets EP.
Run it through Granthes Rigfixer, see if that fixes it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 30th Jun 2013 at 4:56 PM
Field Researcher
#21 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 2:51 PM
I am so sorry to resurrect this thread, but is there any chance of getting a download for the vintage taxi replacement?
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 26th Dec 2020 at 3:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BourgeoisBanana
I am so sorry to resurrect this thread, but is there any chance of getting a download for the vintage taxi replacement?

You have to scroll, Bloom has posted the download, it's the package file you need for the replacement of the EA spawning Late Night Taxis