Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 3:25 PM
Default Which 3d model editor do you prefer to use Milkshape,Blender or other?
I'm thinking about making some outfits for Sims using Milkshape and Blender but I can't figure out which program to use so I want to know which program that you guys prefer.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 4:25 PM
I prefer 3D Max for when I'm meshing from scratch, and doing complicated edits.

For CAS items, other meshes with skeletons and animation projects, Milkshape is pretty much the only program that handles this fine in relation to SimPE/TS2. Unfortunately, my laptop has always reused to run it, and at the moment the computer I have it (and 3D Max) installed on is having issues, so I haven't been able to do those kinds of projects lately. I'm not fond of Milkshape for meshing from scratch though - the UVmapping system is a bit bleh, and not being able to use the 3D window for anything else than looking at the result bugs me.

I also use Wings3D, mostly for texturing when on my laptop (I prefer Milkshape for this, but can deal with the substitute). Applying materials and extracting UVmaps is fairly easy in this program. I've used it occasionally for meshing, but SimPE doesn't seem to like the OBJ files exported from Wings3D, and the handling of smoothing is really bad (it always autosmooths when importing OBJ meshes).

Lately I've started using Blender3D. It's not the easiest program to learn (I've found I've had to unlearn a lot of shortcuts and learn several new ones that make no sense to be able to use it), but I'm slowly getting used to it. If I could only find the proper plugins for use with SimPE and skeletons, and I'd be happy (I've found some, but I haven't gotten around to testing them with the newer version of Blender I've got).
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Apr 2018 at 8:21 AM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 4th Apr 2018 at 8:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I prefer 3D Max for when I'm meshing from scratch, and doing complicated edits.

For CAS items, other meshes with skeletons and animation projects, Milkshape is pretty much the only program that handles this fine in relation to SimPE/TS2. Unfortunately, my laptop has always reused to run it, and at the moment the computer I have it (and 3D Max) installed on is having issues, so I haven't been able to do those kinds of projects lately. I'm not fond of Milkshape for meshing from scratch though - the UVmapping system is a bit bleh, and not being able to use the 3D window for anything else than looking at the result bugs me.

I also use Wings3D, mostly for texturing when on my laptop (I prefer Milkshape for this, but can deal with the substitute). Applying materials and extracting UVmaps is fairly easy in this program. I've used it occasionally for meshing, but SimPE doesn't seem to like the OBJ files exported from Wings3D, and the handling of smoothing is really bad (it always autosmooths when importing OBJ meshes).

Lately I've started using Blender3D. It's not the easiest program to learn (I've found I've had to unlearn a lot of shortcuts and learn several new ones that make no sense to be able to use it), but I'm slowly getting used to it. If I could only find the proper plugins for use with SimPE and skeletons, and I'd be happy (I've found some, but I haven't gotten around to testing them with the newer version of Blender I've got).

I don't have money for any of those but Blender is free and has a lot built in tools that makes modeling 3d objects simpler and there are a bunch of free tutorials on Youtube that you could that helps you learn how to use Blender. I've saw tons of videos that showcases the amazing things that you could make on it. I don't have it installed on my computer yet but I will soon so I could see the difference for myself.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 9:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
Blender and Blender only. How people like Milkshape is beyond me. Holding the middle mouse button while dragging is so damn sensitive that it makes the whole program unusable.. An otherwise semi-decent program ruined!

Is it easier to make meshes on Blender because if it is i'll consider learning how to use it? Blender's so packed with features that it's very difficult for me to learn how to make new 3d models on it and since they're planning to release brand new features to it on the next update now would be a great time for me to start learning it. Could you explain more about why you dislike Milkshape?
Field Researcher
#5 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 7:22 AM
I learned with Blender and honestly don't even know where to start with anything else. I tried 3ds Max since it's the only way to make hair for Dragon Age:Inquisition and I couldn't figure anything out.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by budwinys
I learned with Blender and honestly don't even know where to start with anything else. I tried 3ds Max since it's the only way to make hair for Dragon Age:Inquisition and I couldn't figure anything out.

I'm sure there got to be another way to make hair for Dragon Age. Why does it only allow 3ds Max?
Test Subject
#7 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 5:00 AM
Default blender
Blender, because I would say its the easiest to use out of the three, free and i have most experience with