Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 7:07 AM
Default Mesh Noob, need help
So i've been trying to make the Sweater Off Shoulder, shorter, more like a cropped sweater. I succeeded after much trial and error but when I go into the game, it shows up, funny. The arms stick out and the neck detaches from the body. I've attached photos of the before and after as well as the package file itself. Thank you to whoever helps me. I personally think it may be a bone problem but seeing as I am totally new to meshing, I'm unsure.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  brownieswife_yfTop_SweaterOffShoulder.zip (1.83 MB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 7:52 AM
looks like all the bones have been lost. I would advise using CAS tools where you can export the s4 version of the mesh and convert your edited s3 geom back to the s4 format.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 8:09 AM
Okay so I did what you said and it worked bone wise, but it still looks the same in-game. CAS tools fixed the bones but when i went to check it out in-game it looked the same.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 8:15 AM
what program did you use to modify the mesh and what mesh file format did you use?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 8:19 AM
I used Milkshape to modify the mesh. Simgeom.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 8:27 AM
Not sure what the issue is then. Hopefully someone else will be able to help. My best idea didn't work :/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 5:22 PM
Hopefully. Thanks for your help
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 5:28 PM
brownieswife, can you upload a copy of your revised package where you reassigned the joints with CASTools? I took a look at your first package and saw that the whole top was assigned to Spine2, so that's why you were having the problem you were having with the first version. If we can see your second version, it will help in figuring out why it's still not working.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
brownieswife, can you upload a copy of your revised package where you reassigned the joints with CASTools? I took a look at your first package and saw that the whole top was assigned to Spine2, so that's why you were having the problem you were having with the first version. If we can see your second version, it will help in figuring out why it's still not working.

My bones were still way off but CAS tools fixed the crashing. I went in and messed with the bones a bit. Now her arms are down but she looks stiff, probably because i didn't do the bicep and thumb joints? Package is attached.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  SweaterOffShoulder-new.zip (1.83 MB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#10 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 9:43 PM
Did you convert the TS3 version of the mesh back to TS4 using the GEOM conversion which takes the ORIGINAL TS4 mesh as the reference? If you used another conversion the bones are probably not right and the morphs are certainly not right.

You can't change the bone assignments for TS4 with Milkshape, or rather any changes you make will be lost. When you convert back to TS4, the bones from the original TS4 mesh are copied over the bones in the TS3 version. This is because some of the TS4 bones don't exist in TS3 and aren't handled correctly by the Milkshape import plugin. You also need the original TS4 mesh to get the body morph information that doesn't exist in the TS3 format.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Mad Poster
#11 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 10:24 PM Last edited by Esmeralda : 4th Jan 2015 at 10:38 PM.
I downloaded your second version and tried it out in CAS, and I saw what you mean! So I re-cloned the original sweater to use its meshes as reference meshes to reassign your sweater. As CMar says above, you need to go back and re-clone the default clothing item you made your new item from, so that you can use its correctly-assigned meshes to reassign yours. Using the Package Mesh Import/Export tab of CASTools, I extracted the default sweater's LOD0, LOD0_1, and LOD0_2 meshes in S4 format to use as reference meshes, then extracted all of your sweater's meshes in S3 format.

Then, using the GEOM Convert/Update tab (in the second section on that tab), I inputted each of the extracted S4 reference meshes and used them to convert your extracted S3 meshes. (S4_LOD0 to convert S3_LOD0, S3_LOD1, S3_LOD2, and S3_LOD3. Then, S4_LOD0_1 to convert S3_LOD0_1, S3_LOD1_1, and so on.) After doing that, it was all assigned nicely, but, the LODx and LODx_1 meshes (the two little squares on the arms) are a little off, showing a small split along their sides, indicated by the red arrows on my screenie below - you may have inadvertently messed them up a little when you worked on the mesh? But you're nearly there now.

Attached is a copy of your package after I fixed the mesh assignments - so you just need to fix those not-quite-lined-up squares, and the shadow at the bottom of the sweater.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  SweaterOffShoulder-new.zip (1.84 MB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Jan 2015 at 6:14 PM
Oh man, thank you all so much for your help. I was so lost.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Jan 2015 at 7:00 AM Last edited by brownieswife : 9th Jan 2015 at 9:01 PM.
Sorry for the double post. I wasn't able to get rid of/fix those little squares so I decided to try re-meshing the sweater again, only this time with Blender and S4Studio. The mesh looks great except for the bottom half (picture attached showing what I mean). Is there any way to fix it? Package is attached as well.

To prevent myself from triple posting, I decided to add on to this post. I'm trying to edit the sleeveless peplum top and make it into a mini dress. The bone assignments are fine this time (I did what Cmar said) but the top is skin colored and has long sleeves? Picture and package attached. Forgot to mention I used Milkshape and CASTools. In case that makes a difference..
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  yftop_sweateroffshoulder.zip (1.84 MB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  drea1219_yfTop_BlousePeplumDress.zip (1,020.6 KB, 3 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 7:23 PM
I'm sorry for triple posting but I could really use some help.
Test Subject
#15 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 9:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by brownieswife
Sorry for the double post. I wasn't able to get rid of/fix those little squares so I decided to try re-meshing the sweater again, only this time with Blender and S4Studio. The mesh looks great except for the bottom half (picture attached showing what I mean). Is there any way to fix it? Package is attached as well.

To prevent myself from triple posting, I decided to add on to this post. I'm trying to edit the sleeveless peplum top and make it into a mini dress. The bone assignments are fine this time (I did what Cmar said) but the top is skin colored and has long sleeves? Picture and package attached. Forgot to mention I used Milkshape and CASTools. In case that makes a difference..

Yeah this is a tricky problem that I've encountered myself when bringing in new meshes with a combo of castools and Sims4studio.

What you have to do is open your package with S4PE, and then click on a geometry and hit the grid button. You are scrolling down until you find unknownthings 2... here's a picture of the path you want attached at the bottom.

When you find unknown things 2, click the ... all the way on the right and a new window will pop up. Delete each entry in that list (if there are none it will just say 0x0 like in the picture)... and repeat this for each piece of geometry... then hit commit and save your package. Now go to Sims4Studio and import your blend file again... those little triangles should be gone.

Those are markers that aren't meant to be visible in game... but Sims4Studio isn't quite optimized for doing complicated meshes yet.
Screenshots

saikyoc4.tumblr.com
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 10:40 PM
Oh my gosh. Thank you SO much! It worked!!!
Test Subject
#17 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 11:17 PM
Thanks to OrangeMittens at Sims4Studio for teaching me how to do that

saikyoc4.tumblr.com