Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 6:57 AM
Default managed to crack the specular files open
so ive managed to open the spec files in photoshop . havent seen anything about anyone else doing this , edited the spec and save the dds file but wen i open the CC in game and click on the garment , it doesnt change from the previous one …… still this is progress i guess

Any guesses what format the dxt should be ? ie dxt5 etc

Advertisement
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#2 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 11:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwisims_4
so ive managed to open the spec files in photoshop . havent seen anything about anyone else doing this , edited the spec and save the dds file but wen i open the CC in game and click on the garment , it doesnt change from the previous one …… still this is progress i guess

Can you tell us how you opened the file in PS? Thanks...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 11:19 AM
i cloned the mesh as normal , opened it in s4pe .... then copied the RK from the diffuse and pasted them onto the spec file .... made it think it was the diffuse ... edited the dds , reimported the dds then copied the rk from the original spec map and pasted it onto the edited one ..... roughly . i duplicated the spec file before changing the RK
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#4 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 11:31 AM
i cloned the mesh as normal , opened it in s4pe .... then copied the RK from the diffuse and pasted them onto the spec file .... made it think it was the diffuse ... edited the dds , reimported the dds then copied the rk from the original spec map and pasted it onto the edited one ..... roughly . i duplicated the spec file before changing the RK

Hmm, when I try it, the DDSHelper crashes, and I end up with an empty DDS file. Oh well, was really just curious anyhow. I'm sure it will be exportable soon. Thanks...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 11:42 AM
Oh, that's great to see! =)

I'm moving this to CAS parts (even though it's technically not a CAS-only topic) because right now, CAS creators will be most interested in this. Seeing as objects and so on aren't being made yet. Let me know if you don't want that, I can move it back =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 11:46 AM
sweet as ! maybe we will get more hits in cas parts .its seriously stumped me , ive managed to get it into the game after doing a text to hash on the file but it eliminates the spec effect all together ... better than it not changing to the garment like before tho
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 4:47 PM
I'm guessing the file is probably in a format like BC4. I used your method to look at one of the specular files and it looks like it just has data in the alpha channel when exported as a DXT5/BC3.

How did you do a text to hash on the file? Is that something in s4pe? I have no real idea how sims packages compress their data.
Test Subject
#8 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 5:13 PM
This is awesome news, even if it doesn't show up in-game at this point, progress is progress. I wish I knew more about how to help you out.

MyreMylar I'm pretty sure what Kiwi was talking about is the "FNV Hash" option in S4PE that lets you generate a new hash for individual file bits or the whole package.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 5:40 PM
Well forget what I guessed above because we have a Maxis SimGuru posting to clarify:

Quote:
FYI - our spec maps are fairly complicated, a quick overview how its set up (for Characters) is as follows:

R = cube map blur control
G = cube map strength control
B = specular falloff
Alpha = specular strength

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...omment_12631738

So it looks like all four channels are being used for something, just a question of exactly what texture format is being used.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 7:21 PM
this is way over my head now haha ! when looking at saving a DDS file , we have the option of saving it as a cube map ... but i dont think thats it
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 7:29 PM
hope i can post this link . http://www.moddb.com/mods/toxisresi...hout-normal-map
was reading on creating spec maps for other games and this seems useful
just a girl
#12 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 8:54 PM
Glad to know there's some progress in specular map research. I was just wondering that myself. I'm a noob at these things, so when I wanted female boots NOT to be so glossy I just deleted one resourse file from boots package in s4pe and it worked! Pretty radical though. I hope we'll have something in the middle.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 8:33 AM
Hello guys, I have a short question concerning the specular files. When I clone f.e. a lipstick and open the cloned file, I only have one CASP and one DDS file (the normal color texture). When I bring my lipstick textures in game, the have exactly the same specularity as the original cloned EA lipstick. So if I want to make a custom spec file, I have no idea how to add them, because the cloned package seems not to include a spec file.

Am I dumb or am I doing something wrong?

♘ visit my tumblr here
Instructor
#14 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 9:01 AM
When I try this it doesn't crash anything however when I open in PS I don't get the normal import options, instead I get the "new document" properties with the dimensions set as 1000x806 and resolution at 72, RGB 8bit.

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FifthAce2007
When I try this it doesn't crash anything however when I open in PS I don't get the normal import options, instead I get the "new document" properties with the dimensions set as 1000x806 and resolution at 72, RGB 8bit.

can you explain what you doing inorder to get it like that rather than as a dds?
Instructor
#16 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 4:29 PM Last edited by FifthAce2007 : 10th Sep 2014 at 5:14 PM.
Sure. Clone the item in CM, open in S4PE. Followed your instructions: duplicated the UNKN file that won't preview, I assume that is the spec (?), copy the RK from the image texture, not the shadow one, to the original UNKN not the duplicate I just made, then export to dds. I've noticed the dimensions change from item to item.

I tried exporting to file instead as with the _IMG for the swatch, and this is where I am uncertain. It shows with the extension .bnry so I change that to .dds and save. This one PS refuses to open at all.

It also throws a massive exception in the preview window, not like the short one that appears for swatch images.

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
Test Subject
#17 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 8:16 PM
I did the same thing and I got the same results as FifthAce2007 unfortunately . Kiwisims could you please explain in more details as we obviously do something wrong? And I wonder which program you used in order to clone the item. I've tried many things and nothing seems to work :/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 1:30 AM
hey so i cloned using s4castools ... then i replaced the RK of 0xBA856C78 with the RK from the diffuse .
Test Subject
#19 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 3:27 AM Last edited by Rainicorn : 13th Sep 2014 at 10:02 PM.
Thank you for the answer Even though I still can't do it. So I just deleted it Also I realized something. When I deleted the 0xBA856C78, the shining was mostly gone but there was still a little bit traces of old texture. And I think it's related with geom files. Because I exported geom of a bra to completely different dress, I didn't change anything in the dress except the geoms and i could see the traces of bra. Maybe you already knew it or maybe it could help you to understand these maps.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rainicorn
Thank you for the answer Even though I still can't do it. So I just deleted it Also I realized something. When I deleted the 0xBA856C78, the shining was mostly gone but there was still a little bit traces of old texture. And I think it's related with geom files. Because I exported geom of a bra to completely different dress, I didn't change anything in the dress except the geoms and i could see the traces of bra. Maybe you already knew it or maybe it could help you to understand these maps.
And here's the picture to show what I mean:

That looks like normal mapped data. I suspect normal maps may be a 'one per mesh' type of deal. After cloning your mesh try deleting: 0xAC16FBEC and see if that gets rid of your lines.

EDIT: Had a go myself and, nope. the game still gets the normal map data from somewhere.
Test Subject
#21 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 3:16 PM
Hmm... I looked geom files in grid and each geom has one diffuse map, an img file and spec/normal (whatever it is) in tgi list. Probably we need to change these into new resources. I've not tried it yet. But I will soon and I hope it works
just a girl
#22 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 3:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rainicorn

Something tells me it related to the fact that Nude skin doesn't work for female body
Test Subject
#23 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 3:42 PM
@Lamare ooh yes that was what I was saying. I wish I had read that topic throughly before
Instructor
#24 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 6:05 PM
hey so i cloned using s4castools ... then i replaced the RK of 0xBA856C78 with the RK from the diffuse .

Nope I get the same thing. Photoshop just brings up the "new document" prompt.

FifthAce2007

Mad Poster
#25 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 4:17 PM
Any clear conclusions, how-to's or goals? I'm working with S4PE and GIMP 2.8 and besides copy-pasting the resource key I know fuck-all about specs. Would be really nice to just have a simple greyscale map like with TSRW for TS3.